The Chainlink

While we've had some good news about the enactment of new laws against distracted driving, the timing of this expansion of distracting technology in cars is ironic, to say the least. This is an attempt to put corporate greed above public safety.

I've been in cars where the driver was distracted by trying to read a navigation screen, much less trying to do anything involving more complex choices like web browsing. We need to have a lot less distracted driving, not more.

If someone has a display for web browsing in their car, even if the manufacturer has configured it so that browsing it disabled when the car is in gear, who's to say that the car owner won't pay someone to hack the system so that web browsing is possible at any time, offering too much possible distraction.

I'm writing letters to my federal legislators asking them to oppose this expansion of distracting technology in cars for the U.S. market. Anyone else care to join me?

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Volvo is about to introduce a pedestrian awareness function in their 2011 S60. If need be it will automatically brake the car. See a video here

Of course the real question in this video is what moron thinks it is a good idea to drive your car around Montmartre in Paris to begin with....

Ryan L said:
If a driver is going to multitask fine, then throw in a device that alerts a driver to the presence of a cyclist and forces the driver to acknowledge the cyclist by hitting an "OK" button or something.
The New York Times ran a front page article today about cops and paramedics driving distractedly. It was pretty interesting, particularly considering that (in my experience) cops are the #1 violator of traffic laws at any given time, and I'm not talking about when the sirens are running.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/technology/11distracted.html?hpw
Duppie said:
If need be it will automatically brake the car. See a video

But that's the problem. People have become so reliant on technology that they break down when confronted in a situation without it. People don't think for themselves, they rely on the convenience of technology do it for them. Drivers feel "Safe" in their steel steeds.

I think everyone should ride a bike for a month, rain or snow, before getting a drivers license; at least in this city.
Of course this brings me back to Step 1: Learn to use turn signals.

I drove the good ole Zip car tonight and the number one thing that pissed me off while driving, other drivers not using their turn signals. Seriously, what the hell is it with people? Why is it so hard to let everyone know where you intend to go at an intersection by flicking a god damn switch?

Humans are stupid!!!
Seems like many of the most aware drivers are those who both ride and drive. It's no guarantee, though. I've seen people with car-mounted bike racks nearly door cyclists.

And about those turn signals, I agree that too many drivers forget that they exist, and that some don't do themselves any favors by waiting until the last possible second to turn them on. I had a close call the other night with a driver who didn't signal 'til the last second, then assumed that I'd seen his signal.

Ryan L said:
Duppie said:

But that's the problem. People have become so reliant on technology that they break down when confronted in a situation without it. People don't think for themselves, they rely on the convenience of technology do it for them. Drivers feel "Safe" in their steel steeds.

I think everyone should ride a bike for a month, rain or snow, before getting a drivers license; at least in this city.
Signaling your intent gives up the competitive edge-- you wouldn't announce your next move in a basketball game or poker tournament, would you?

Ryan L said:
Of course this brings me back to Step 1: Learn to use turn signals.

I drove the good ole Zip car tonight and the number one thing that pissed me off while driving, other drivers not using their turn signals. Seriously, what the hell is it with people? Why is it so hard to let everyone know where you intend to go at an intersection by flicking a god damn switch?

Humans are stupid!!!
Don't know if I'd agree. Some of the most intolerant, self-righteous drivers are identified cyclists who think they have license to teach other cyclists a lesson because they've been through some sort of effective cycling training, or because when they go on their recreational rides they stick to paths.

Anne Alt said:
Seems like many of the most aware drivers are those who both ride and drive. It's no guarantee, though. L said:
Duppie said:

Ryan L said:
But that's the problem.

I don't agree. If this kind of technology makes pedestrians and bicyclists safer, then I am all for it. I think the government should mandate it.
And that is exactly what the government does. Take airbags for example, first introduced in the late 1970's by 1995 the US government mandated dual second generation airbags in every new car.
I don't see why, if this pedestrian detection technology proves viable, the US government, in due time, won't mandate this in every car.

What's the alternative? "Demand" that drivers pay more attention? How would that work?
It seems like most new safety technologies trickle down eventually from luxury models to midrange and eventually to all cars, things like seat belts, ABS brakes, airbags.... If this ped detection proves effective, I wouldn't be surprised we see it in more cars later.

Duppie said:
Ryan L said:
But that's the problem.

I don't agree. If this kind of technology makes pedestrians and bicyclists safer, then I am all for it. I think the government should mandate it.
And that is exactly what the government does. Take airbags for example, first introduced in the late 1970's by 1995 the US government mandated dual second generation airbags in every new car.
I don't see why, if this pedestrian detection technology proves viable, the US government, in due time, won't mandate this in every car.

What's the alternative? "Demand" that drivers pay more attention? How would that work?
Ill tell you one thing I noticed last night on my little drive to and from the new Whole Foods on Kingsley, the amount of dingles on bikes, at night, that don't have a single light on 'em is retarded.

I can understand all the crazy cats that are too cool for school to wear a helmet, but come on guys, gals and hermaphrodites, get some lights on those bikes. I can't tell you how many cyclists I couldn't see till they were right next to me because they had no lights. The ones that did have lights, guess what, I knew they were there. Shoot, i've almost had two collisions with other cyclists at dark intersections because they had no lights. If I ever get hit by one of these invisible cool kids of the night, i'm gonna go medieval on 'em. There's more than one reason I carry an adjustable wrench on me at all times :)

Stupid Humans!!!
LOL, I sound like an angry bitter old man in my posts. An angry old man that throws smoke bombs at cars while drunk that is. Ah the internet, what an interesting place to live.
You live on the Internet? How's the rent? Are utilities included? I'm assuming Internet access is free.

Ryan L said:
LOL, I sound like an angry bitter old man in my posts. An angry old man that throws smoke bombs at cars while drunk that is. Ah the internet, what an interesting place to live.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service