The Chainlink

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-distracteddrivers,0,14...

This new law bans sending text messages or emails while driving. Good news, but this has me a bit weary: "They can also text or e-mail if... ...they're at a standstill in traffic, such as at a train crossing."

Is everybody ready for diving rush hour texting? Get ready to teeeeext!

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not like drivers are actually going to get ticketed- it's the same with talking on the phone while driving...every driver still does it.
I see what's next. The laptop steering desk. Available for holiday giving on Amazon. Take a look you will absolutely not believe it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Office-WM-01-Laptop-Steering/dp/B000IZ...
Just have your passenger text for you while you are driving. Oh wait, the majority of drivers are SOV's (single occupancy vehicles). The law sends the correct message, but if it is similar to the previous cell phone ban here in Chicago, police will only use it as an excuse to pull a car over to get a closer look at the occupants, not to actually enforce the law for safety (obviously my take on it).

This Sun Times article says the police issued about 700 tickets per month for cell phones from 2005-2008. This must be a very low percentage.

DonRay A.K.A. Zesty said:
It's not like drivers are actually going to get ticketed- it's the same with talking on the phone while driving...every driver still does it.
it will make no difference. Cops don't care unless its to get you for something bigger. The law was just put in place to make people happy.
People texting even while walking are hazardous, I've seen them walk right in front of cars, let alone in front of me. Eating in your car causes accidents, AAA used to say it caused more than phones not sure if they still do. But they won't pass a law against eating. Passing a law against texting or talking is easy since it's "scary technology". Nor would a law against texting and walking ever get passed, even though many people can't seem to do it.

Passengers texting may work, but passengers are distracting too.

Bottom line is laws like this don't do anything to lower accidents, even if it were enforced. Many people are easily distracted and dangerous no matter what. For some people there may be no hope :) : http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/10/29/bad.driver.gene/index.html
Hahahahahahhah!!! I love the customer images (photo after photo of accidents - auto, plane, boat, semi, tank, etc).

David Travis said:
I see what's next. The laptop steering desk. Available for holiday giving on Amazon. Take a look you will absolutely not believe it.
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Office-WM-01-Laptop-Steering/dp/B000IZ...
Illinois tried to do it... here

Chris B said:
... Nor would a law against texting and walking ever get passed, even though many people can't seem to do it...
I thought i remembered something about that. I guess that never went anywhere.

Unlike when driving, when texting and walking you only get yourself hurt. Except the laws would automatically punish the driver (or biker I suppose).

I read my Kindle and walk :)
Just please avoid train tracks when walkreading.

http://sandboxtests.blogspot.com/2008/03/beaware-or-be-roadkill-par...

Chris B said:
I thought i remembered something about that. I guess that never went anywhere.

Unlike when driving, when texting and walking you only get yourself hurt. Except the laws would automatically punish the driver (or biker I suppose).

I read my Kindle and walk :)
i have a Nintendo Wii in my car, I play Need for Speed on the way to work...and Punch Out on the way home!
You mean you have these on your bike! Nice try.

DavID said:
i have a Nintendo Wii in my car, I play Need for Speed on the way to work...and Punch Out on the way home!
Na, its on the dash of my Humveee...you should see me use the Wii fit in 5pm traffic. Yoga, texting and the commute all at once. Put your quarter up!

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
You mean you have these on your bike! Nice try.

DavID said:
i have a Nintendo Wii in my car, I play Need for Speed on the way to work...and Punch Out on the way home!

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service