The Chainlink

Dings, Scratches, Marks, Chips, Worn Spots. - Bicycle Frame Protection ?

http://www.allmountainstyle.com/blogs/news/9697008-ams-honeycomb-fr...

I'm noticing that when I lock up, my frame is starting to get kinda scratched up at the points of contact. I don't want my baby to look all messed up. Does anyone have any recommendations for this problem. I've seen some things online but want to know what you think. Thanxs

Support your CL community. Become a contributor. Post a discussion. Reply. Lurking is just no fun. Come along for the ride!

Views: 1281

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like this product would also be suitable.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3437...

I ignored some chips and now there's rust beginning to form... I take it I should get that off before nail polishing or taping over it, no?
Yes, take some steel wool or sandpaper,(depending on how extensive the rusting is) and work it off your frame. Rust is a chemical reaction that will eventually over time weaken your frame if you just paint or cover it over.

V W said:
I ignored some chips and now there's rust beginning to form... I take it I should get that off before nail polishing or taping over it, no?
Thanks I think it's light. I'll try steel wool.

You could also save time and money and just get over it.

Beausage is where it is at.

I enjoy the patina of a dinged up frame.

Beausage is understandable. My bike does look like it's been used. I just don't want it to get real messed up or have rust weaken the frame.

notoriousDUG said:

You are not going to get rust that weakens the frame on something that is used and maintained decently.  Corrosion is not some magic beast that eats your bike away the second there is a chip in the coating; it takes YEARS for untreated corrosion to cause structural damage.

Seriously, get over it.

Tom A.K. said:

Beausage is understandable. My bike does look like it's been used. I just don't want it to get real messed up or have rust weaken the frame.

notoriousDUG said:

We're almost to the point of getting protectors for our protectors to keep the protectors looking nice.

Seriously, Dug. Some people like things in different ways in life. We don't all have to conform. Seriously, I can appreciate what style of bike you like. But seriously, I started this thread to get useful advice about possibly using bicycle accessories on my bikes. O K , seriously, I respectfully accept your advice of letting it be. But I'm not gonna take it Dug. Rust, I don't want to tolerate it on any part of my bike. You are welcome to have it on yours. I have bikes that are over 25 years old that I've cared for. So seriously, you go enjoy your bikes your way, i'll enjoy mine. Get over it. Seriously.

I used a scratch repair kit from an auto parts store and it worked really well. After you make that repair then you could try that "helicopter tape" which seems like a good idea.

I have no rust on any of my bikes because they get regular use which keeps rust from ever happening.  

But do you know what does help propagate corrosion?  Things like stick on protectors that trap dirt and moisture and hold them against the paint and base material.

Things like stick on protectors that trap dirt and moisture and hold them against the paint and base material.  I have bikes that are well over 25 years old and have zero rust in spite of having a less than perfect finish at this point in their lives.

You really want to keep your bike nice keep it clean and, if you really want to get crazy, keep it waxed, and you will live a corrosion free life.

Tom A.K. said:

Seriously, Dug. Some people like things in different ways in life. We don't all have to conform. Seriously, I can appreciate what style of bike you like. But seriously, I started this thread to get useful advice about possibly using bicycle accessories on my bikes. O K , seriously, I respectfully accept your advice of letting it be. But I'm not gonna take it Dug. Rust, I don't want to tolerate it on any part of my bike. You are welcome to have it on yours. I have bikes that are over 25 years old that I've cared for. So seriously, you go enjoy your bikes your way, i'll enjoy mine. Get over it. Seriously.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service