The Chainlink

So as not to bug anybody with strong aroma of various degreasers - I used laundry detergent.

Not for a long soak and I rinsed thoroughly, following up outside with WD-40 as a moisture dispersant.  Currently soaking in citrus degreaser in the garage.  The detergent did most of the work......

Views: 1363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html Serious cleaing instructions and the problems with the various methods.  (I saw where he said the factory lube was the best lubricant.  And lubricating methods carried the dirt past the pins into the grease.  So I suggested WD-40 as cleaning and rust-proofing only and avoiding removing factory grease).

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html his new chain cleaning and lubing kit.

uuuuhhhhh....viewing.....uhhhh....thinking that I would like to have that much time on my hands to TOTALLY DISASSEMBLE EVERY LINK?????!!!!?????  Sure- if it was a really expensive quality chain.  I guess I should be glad I don't own a particularly valuable chain these days.  Love Sheldon Brown - he's sorely missed.

If only his Brooks Saddle break-in advice were an April Fool's joke...

"You can just pour the oil on and rub it in by hand, or for a more drastic approach, you can actually soak the saddle. The easiest way to soak a saddle is to turn it upside-down on a sheet of aluminum foil, then form the foil up around the saddle for a snug fit. Pour in a whole 4-ounce can of neats-foot oil or whatever oil you prefer, and let the saddle soak for 30 minutes to an hour. Pour the remaining oil back into the can, and wipe the excess oil off with a rag or paper towel. Install the saddle onto the bike, put on your black shorts, and ride. Even the most recalcitrant saddle (the thick-skinned Brooks Professional) will be substantially broken in within 200 miles or so."

LOLz

I love Sheldon, but not everything that came out of his mouth/keyboard fingers was totally sage advice.

Chain oil and chain cleaning is a hotly-debated topic.  It gets even more crazy in motorcycle groups as the cost of chains goes up 5-10 (or more) times and since some motorcycles get ridden much more often, need to be replaced more often.  O-ring and X-ring chains complicate the lubrication/cleaning picture too.

Indeed, chains are an important part of the puzzle but they are often neglected. I think Sheldon's advice applies to the performance minded cyclist who requests that his mechanic "lube everything" to shave every second he can off of his next race. The market creates the demand.

I own a Brooks and I have to say the first 30 miles was pretty brutal. I like my saddle a lot now and I hope to have it for a long time. Nowadays it's as comfy as a gel saddle or any saddle that I've ever owned. I've had Fisik, Bontrager, Selle Italia and low end generic brands. I guess if you've got an impatient customer who doesn't want to suffer the first 100 miles on a Brooks then Sheldon's advice sounds like true wisdom. That kind of service results in customer loyalty, IMHO.

Tide again...then WD-40...then Citrus Degreaser....then Tri-Flow....

I use a ultrasonic cleaner made for jewelry with cirus based degreaser, keeps my chains newer longer. I also rotate 2-3 chains out to help my cassettes to last longer. Campagnolo says 1500 miles per chain and 3500 miles per cassette. By rotating chains each cleaning I made it over 15k on my first set before I replaced it... 

very very very cooooooolllll!!!

If you are indulging in frequent and extensive chain cleaning you should check out Chain-L #5. No I did not make that up.

Last year I bought a 1967 Falcon for my partner. The Campy BB felt fine but it had been a long time so I opened it. Large quantities of Lubriplate inside, just the flavor Turin used way back when. The mechanic's business card, guy I knew, was still lining the BB shell. Perfect ball tracks. Smooth. There is a reason Campy inspires loyalty. Even if 45 years old do not ever regrease Campy pedals, they don't need it.

I can't wait for my ultrasonic cleaner to arrive so I can try cleaning some grimy parts, like chains and freewheels... :-)

I just added some numbers and see my bike (new in September)  has about 2,200 miles on it.  I'm going to start cleaning it up tonight and see if there are any emergency repairs needed before the weekend.  I've got a nearly unused chain of the same make I may end up putting on.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service