Hoping to get in touch with the cyclist who was seriously injured after yet another suicidal goose ruined a ride on the Lake Path this afternoon. Just want to make sure you're okay/your jaw isn't broken/your gorgeous Celeste Bianchi is intact. I waited to be sure the guy that stopped was trustworthy enough to get you to the hospital. I don't know if there's anything more I could've done to help, but I'd love to hear that you're safe and sound.

Views: 687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He was riding south, I was riding north. From what I saw, the goose did not move out of the path although the cyclist was screaming at it. He slammed on his brakes and ate pavement, chin first. Did not look okay. :( I hope the goose has insurance. 

Is that legal roadkill?  I've heard they're good eating but there's some reason for only consuming the migratory birds.

Goose was not immobile, I love animals but don't understand what compels some to move toward a larger body speeding at them. Goose was fine. Maybe the geese play "Chicken" on the LFP for fun. Except they call it "Goose". !? 

Worst thing you can do is try to take evasive action. Same as a car. You slow way down, or hold your line, and hit the damn thing.  And then, if you have a bag with you, take it home and make soup. 

It's a federally-protected (via International Treaties)  migratory waterfowl.   I'd not risk it with any witnesses around.  Some vegan-weenie could call in the feds and you could end up in Federal BYUTA Prison or at least out a lot of $$$ in fines, fees, and court costs.

And yes, they are good eating...

Tricolor said:

Is that legal roadkill?  I've heard they're good eating but there's some reason for only consuming the migratory birds.

Slow down and steer around it if need be if it isn't moving.  Push left, go left.  Push right, go right.    It's just that simple 

Joe Schmoe said:

Worst thing you can do is try to take evasive action. Same as a car. You slow way down, or hold your line, and hit the damn thing.  And then, if you have a bag with you, take it home and make soup. 

Well, the cyclist in question made the decision to stop and avoid hitting the goose. He definitely suffered for it. Hard. I'm sure he could've slowed down, and I wouldn't have made the same choices. I didn't want to put the guy on trial, I just thought I'd try to make sure he was okay. 

Clint H said:

Probably the same thing that compels the supposedly more intelligent species to go barreling down the lake path at speeds too fast to avoid hitting slowly wandering animals. Animals who, mind you, are there pretty much all the time.

Think about that. Two animals approached each other. Both had a choice. Both made the same decision.

Dovah Cat said:

I love animals but don't understand what compels some to move toward a larger body speeding at them.

John Durham said:

Fuck the geese. I try to hit them. Not successful yet.

I'm all for trying to coexist with all animals, and I learned from a goose expert that they are super territorial and guard their nests and families with their lives - they can get mean. To go by on foot, we were told to not move toward them head on, and to raise one "wing"/arm as we passed them quietly on one side at a diagonal. On a bike I'd exercise the same caution, slow, far away, and non-direct. Sounds like the person who crashed just didn't know what to do. 

" I didn't want to put the guy on trial, I just thought I'd try to make sure he was okay. " 

Of course, mentioning anything on the internet immediately stands it up for debate. 

Clint H said:

A better decision would have been to slow down to a reasonable speed well before he got to the goose, instead of thinking he could yell his way through. This guy reaped his just rewards.

Dovah Cat said:

Well, the cyclist in question made the decision to stop and avoid hitting the goose. He definitely suffered for it. Hard. I'm sure he could've slowed down, and I wouldn't have made the same choices. I didn't want to put the guy on trial, I just thought I'd try to make sure he was okay. 

I enjoy the XKCD comic - a man at his computer while his wife begs him to come to bed. "I can't, honey, someone on the internet is WRONG."

h' said:

Us

v. Them

Over and over again.

+1

Hurry for me/us, but you're pretty much fooked...

h' said:

Us

v. Them

Over and over again.

I love LCD sound system

h' said:

Us

v. Them

Over and over again.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service