The Chainlink

12:01 Thursday until 4 am Friday. Posted on a "memo" taped to train station attendant booth-- I searched the CTA site before I left home this evening and only could find reference to June 28 and 30.

The ban is because of the huge crowds going to....
uh....

going to.....?

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/alert_detail.aspx?...

Unfortunately, yeah, no non-folding bikes today on trains (bus racks still ok).  I guess Independence Day celebrates dependence on foreign oil?

"Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM

Impact Level: Special Note
                    Full Description:
July 4, 2013 - Independence Day Fireworks

Buy your transit in advance. Avoid long lines at vending machines and on buses after the events by purchasing your round-trip fare at the beginning of your trip.

No bikes allowed on trains. Bicycles are not permitted on trains for customers' safety and to provide additional capacity. Bicycles are permitted on all buses, which are equipped with bike racks (max. 2/rack).

Please fold strollers and carts. All strollers and carts are required to be folded prior to boarding buses and trains between for customers' safety and to provide additional capacity."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/chi-chicago-and-su...

Let's just say that the CTA is being cautious by banning bikes from trains for the 21.5 hours leading up to the 15 minute display at Navy Pier tonight at 9:30 (/sarcasm off).

This is not consistent with what's posted on the booths.

Thunder Snow said:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/alert_detail.aspx?...

Unfortunately, yeah, no non-folding bikes today on trains (bus racks still ok).  I guess Independence Day celebrates dependence on foreign oil?

"Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM

Impact Level: Special Note
                    Full Description:
July 4, 2013 - Independence Day Fireworks

Buy your transit in advance. Avoid long lines at vending machines and on buses after the events by purchasing your round-trip fare at the beginning of your trip.

No bikes allowed on trains. Bicycles are not permitted on trains for customers' safety and to provide additional capacity. Bicycles are permitted on all buses, which are equipped with bike racks (max. 2/rack).

Please fold strollers and carts. All strollers and carts are required to be folded prior to boarding buses and trains between for customers' safety and to provide additional capacity."

I thought that was last night? (Or is it again tonight...)

I don't know if I'm going to end up on a train or bus today but I suspect it's one of the lightest-usage days of the year in absence of any large events people would need or want to get to.

Thunder Snow said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/chi-chicago-and-su...

Let's just say that the CTA is being cautious by banning bikes from trains for the 21.5 hours leading up to the 15 minute display at Navy Pier tonight at 9:30 (/sarcasm off).

Totally agree, h'.  At most, the CTA could have put bike & stroller restrictions in at say, 7:00 PM-10:30 PM for a 9:30 fireworks display tonight and given us back most of the day.  On the other hand, uncharacteristically, Metra didn't blackout bikes today (what????) and even threw in a $7 all-you-can-ride holiday pass.  I guess that's the one bit of good news in this.

This blackout is likely an artifact of the old days of Taste and the Like.   Change happens slowly.  Consider the following:

During the First World War Artillery regiments would deploy one of their soldiers to stand 100 yards behind the battery after it was deployed.  These soldiers would frequently be hit and killed due to the range of World War I armaments.  They were there due to long standing orders.  Finally someone asked the question as to why the orders were in place.   The answer was rather straightforward.  Prior to World War I the guns and the like were drawn by teams of horses.  The Soldier standing behind the line was tasked with the job of holding the horses.   But by WWI these units were now motorized.   But the Soldier still was tasked with the job of holding the now none-existent horses. 

The ban on the CTA was too address the non-existent all day crowd of people...

Why opt train it with your bike anyway? It is so uncomfortable!

Normally the train is an emergency option when something happens to the bike, at least when looking at a north-south route.  Heading west is another story.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service