The Chainlink

After slamming Critical Mass, I'm thinking of doing the one in September so I can see what it's like to participate. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I can't reconcile all of the inconvenience and disruption caused by CM with its lack of meaning. I appreciate civil disobedience, but only if it's to work toward some goal, which CM doesn't seem to have.

Can you help me understand CM better to help me decide if I should participate? I'm not trolling or being a devil's advocate - and I understand if no one wants to beat this dead horse yet again.

Views: 3218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Beezledog factor?

Its the Viet Nam war demonstrator problem.  The demonstrators were too stupid or too arrogant to see that their efforts were actually delaying the resolution of the war.  The participants in critical mass are too stupid or too arrogant to see that participation in critical mass makes it much harder to achieve real and meaningful change in Cycling in the City.  About the only way that Critical Mass would ever bring about any change is a "Kent State" like incident where some crazy motorist (likely a Cab driver...) simply loses it and intentionally runs down a whole group of Critical Massers.   I want to see progress in Cycling in the City, but the death or serious injury of a number of Critical Massers is too high a cost.  

Pretty much everything "pro-critical mass" that has been posted has been "sophistry" trying to pretend that Critical Mass is not a political act or that the man is in some way trying to tell you who you can hang out with and when.   We live in Society.  Society must have rules in order to survive.   Critical Mass prides its self on its absence of rules and anarchy.  Anarchy is not society and must eventually fail.

I have said my piece on the subject.  Its quite clear that the pro-Critical Mass folk are, on this issue, Zealots and immune to logic and reason.   

It sounds like David crZven would love to just round up all those crazy Massers and throw then into camps like the Nazi's did...

Cameron Puetz said:

As for the discussion of whether or not CCM is like the Vietnam War or Civil Rights Movement, will someone just call someone else a Nazi so that we cite Goodwin's Law and put this thread out of its misery?

Okay.  Hitler was a Nazi.

Cameron Puetz said:

To the OP, I would say go try it. While I'm personally not a huge fan of CCM, it's worth going and experiencing it first hand. There really isn't much else like it, and it's hard to describe what it's like. It really is a you had to be there sort of thing. Also what do you have to lose? If you get there and don't like it, you can leave at any time.

As for the discussion of whether or not CCM is like the Vietnam War or Civil Rights Movement, will someone just call someone else a Nazi so that we cite Goodwin's Law and put this thread out of its misery?

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Should we keep an eye out for a red eye article or letter to the editor soon? ;P

Expect the upcoming Red Eye article to sensationalize everything and to interview clueless bystanders.

Davo said:

Should we keep an eye out for a red eye article or letter to the editor soon? ;P

The Tribune should transfer John Kass to the Red Eye newsroom. That should result in an increase in their journalistic integrity.

Cameron Puetz said:

They'll just pull one out of their archives and rerun it. That's the advantage of running articles that don't have any facts to get out dated.

Adam Herstein said:

Expect the upcoming Red Eye article to sensationalize everything and to interview clueless bystanders.

Davo said:

I've seen sunday motorcycle rides that block traffic for 10 minutes.  They "cork" intersections in much the same way ccm does and drivers don't say peep. I find it hard to believe that if ccm was on a weekend day, it would be better received.  To them, our "toys" don't belong on the road.

Whoa whoa WHOA! What do you think you're doing, trying to get this discussion back on track? Shame on you!

Blatherskate said:

I've seen sunday motorcycle rides that block traffic for 10 minutes.  They "cork" intersections in much the same way ccm does and drivers don't say peep. I find it hard to believe that if ccm was on a weekend day, it would be better received.  To them, our "toys" don't belong on the road.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service