The Chicago Department of Transportation will be initiating the public outreach portion of Streets for Cycling Plan 2020 by hosting an Open House on December 10th at 23 E. Madison St. (storefront) from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. The project team will be there all day to talk about the plan and bicycling issues in your neighborhood. Plan to join us! 

If you can’t make it to this event, you can post your comments on the project’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/streetsforcycling2020) or email them to streetsforcycling2020@gmail.com. There will be three additional public meeting opportunities later this winter. 

John Lankford

Active Transportation Alliance

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please see the attached PDF flyer for more information.

Attachments:

"To interact with Chicago Streets for Cycling Plan 2020 you need to sign up for Facebook first.

This is beyond appalling to me. Why should the City be supporting a company such as Facebook and excluding all non-facebook users from the conversation? Facebook is not the internet. It is not correct to assume that everyone has a facebook account. Facebook a corporation whose only mission is to make money with little or no regard or its users privacy. Doesn't the City of Chicago have the ability to set up its own site for discussions if that is really what they want to have? 

The fact sheet at:

http://chicagobikes.org/pdf/Streets%20for%20Cycling%20Plan%202020%2...

claims that "We want Chicago to be the most bike friendly city in the United States. But we can't do it without your help." 

That is an awesome sentiment. If that is true, then why set up barriers to conversation?

Agree on that, Tony.  

I'm sick and tired of seeing this "Give us a *like* on Facebook and we'll blah blah blah" stuff.

But, did you not see that it says you can email them @ streetsforcycling2020@gmail.com as well?

I'm sure Tony saw that, but an email address is not a public forum like a comment thread on a Facebook page, or a blog (which could be setup in its place). 

I also believe that a Facebook page should not be the primary website to receive information about the SCP2020 or to contribute comments online. 

Brendan said:

But, did you not see that it says you can email them @ streetsforcycling2020@gmail.com as well?

Agreed.  It's not a smart move.  

Steven Vance said:

an email address is not a public forum like a comment thread on a Facebook page, or a blog (which could be setup in its place). 

I also believe that a Facebook page should not be the primary website to receive information about the SCP2020 or to contribute comments online. 

Re: using Facebook -- I do recognize what you're saying, but let's give 'em a break. They're trying something new. CDOT tried using a dedicated website for the Pedestrian Plan, and it's a nice site with solid information and opportunity to give input, but they've received a total of only 24 posted suggestions. Since FB has 150 million users in the US, it's a convenient means to distribute information and start a broad public conversation. When you use a standalone website like the one for the Peds Plan, you have to hope people will check the site periodically for news, but FB "feeds" it to you. Plus, FB is free to use. You can say that using FB is a barrier to conversation, but then, so is using the internet at all, including e-mail.

In any case, there will be numerous opportunities to participate in person as well. Hopefully everyone reading this will share their ideas and cycling insights in any way they can!

Disclosure: I'm a volunteer co-leader for the north side Streets for Cycling community advisory group; however, I have no "inside info" on the decisions made about publicizing the events, and these are just my thoughts.

I think a dedicated website can be used in conjunction with Facebook, with both sites being updated simultaneously. 

Michelle Stenzel said:

Re: using Facebook -- I do recognize what you're saying, but let's give 'em a break. They're trying something new. CDOT tried using a dedicated website for the Pedestrian Plan, and it's a nice site with solid information and opportunity to give input, but they've received a total of only 24 posted suggestions. Since FB has 150 million users in the US, it's a convenient means to distribute information and start a broad public conversation. When you use a standalone website like the one for the Peds Plan, you have to hope people will check the site periodically for news, but FB "feeds" it to you. Plus, FB is free to use. You can say that using FB is a barrier to conversation, but then, so is using the internet at all, including e-mail.

How can you call it a public conversation when only Facebook members can participate? 

I'm operating on the assumption that the internet in general is a communications tool, not a barrier to communication. The thing is that we need to keep it open and free and not limit our discussions to walled gardens run by profit driven corporations such as facebook.

Hoping that people will check the site is not a viable approach, but using taxpayer resources to propagate facebook is essentially corporate welfare. 

Michelle Stenzel said:

In any case, there will be numerous opportunities to participate in person as well. Hopefully everyone reading this will share their ideas and cycling insights in any way they can!

Disclosure: I'm a volunteer co-leader for the north side Streets for Cycling community advisory group; however, I have no "inside info" on the decisions made about publicizing the events, and these are just my thoughts.

I agree with Michelle.  Facebook reaches a lot of people easily, and can reach many people who are not on Chainlink because they don't identify as cyclists.  These folks may see S4C posts on the pages or their friends and family, which can greatly increase the potential impact of these posts.  This is one of the best arguments in favor of using FB.

I think that a dedicated web site to supplement the Facebook page would be reasonable to create one more public forum for those who are not on FB.

Steven Vance said:

I think a dedicated website can be used in conjunction with Facebook, with both sites being updated simultaneously. 

Michelle Stenzel said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service