The Chainlink

Chicago bike sharing will be known as Divvy, be Chicago flag blue

Views: 15507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would imagine that they set em up softer then normal to prevent head over handlebar accidents from inexperienced riders grabbing too much front brake. 

They all have disc brakes, so I'm not sure why they would feel soft. I have noticed I have to pull harder than I usually would on my own bike, though.

Actually, I think they all have drum brakes, but I don't know what effect that would have on brake feel.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

They all have disc brakes, so I'm not sure why they would feel soft. I have noticed I have to pull harder than I usually would on my own bike, though.

A Divvy station on Wentworth (just north of Archer) went live today.  Even though the Red Line bypasses Chinatown for another few months, I can now Divvy down for dim sum.  Yay!

Pilsen is well covered now with Divvy stations for access to fine Mexican dining.  And the Jackson/Peoria or Harrison/Peoria stations get me into Greektown for souvlaki with retsina.  Opaaa!

This is not, in fact, true.

Thunder Snow said:

Divvy is operated by a private company, Alta, under a city contract.  But all of the bikes, rebalancing vans and station hardware are owned outright by the City of Chicago.  The city has options beyond just sending in bill collectors when it comes to folks stealing city property. 

You might be right.

David P. said:

Apparently there's a gps tracker in the bikes that can be used to locate the bikes.  Divvy may be collecting ride info as well as downloads from the bike when docked but I'm uncertain on this point.  If this is true, it'd give Divvy a lot more options on recovery when the bikes are lost/stolen.

According to John Greenfield in some other forum (streetsblog?) the bikes have a passive GPS.

Of course, I have no clue what passive GPS means.

S said:

Apparently there's a gps tracker in the bikes that can be used to locate the bikes.  Divvy may be collecting ride info as well as downloads from the bike when docked but I'm uncertain on this point.  If this is true, it'd give Divvy a lot more options on recovery when the bikes are lost/stolen.

Maybe it's a passive-agressive GPS.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

According to John Greenfield in some other forum (streetsblog?) the bikes have a passive GPS.

S said:

It makes motivational remarks urging the rider forward?

"You see that guy to your right walking faster than you? He's using a cane!"

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Maybe it's a passive-agressive GPS.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

S said:

Notice his wording-- he didn't say "this is in fact not true," which would mean something completely different.  I think David P knows something...

Thunder Snow said:

You might be right.

David P. said:

I did some searching, and found a report of someone who took a mis-docked bike share bike in NYC, and the police supposedly caught him in 20 minutes. Couldn't find a pic of the perp to rule out whether lack of white privelege was a factor.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service