The Chainlink

Chicago bike sharing will be known as Divvy, be Chicago flag blue

Views: 15509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got #152.

I was all set to sign up so I could share my membership with houseguests, but I see on their FAQ that that's not allowed. Bummer. I guess I'm sorta wondering why I'd want to be a member, then...

All of you superbikers, why are you joining if you're already on a bike most of the time? Just to support?

No. 216.

Joined for 1) 1-way trips, like meeting friends out and cabbing it home later in the night; 2) winter riding. It says that Divvy is 24/365, and I don't like riding my personal bike on salted roads; 3) Not sure how it is enforced, but riding with friends who don't have a bike.  I read the FAQ, and it says non transferable.  That would clearly include lending my key to a friend for a week (understandable), but I'm not sure that excludes borrowing a bike with a friend.

Well - Crap. I already signed up (#177)

Dear Jennifer,

As an Active Trans member, you’re hearing it here first: Divvy Bike Share memberships are now available, and Active Trans members get a $10 discount off the annual membership fee.

#146!

I should have added I'm really excited for those days where it's raining during my morning commute (or looking like it's going to rain for my afternoon commute).  I'll suck it up and take the CTA in the rain, but be able to ride once it clears up.

Who the heck starts sign-up when normal people are at lunch? Now I lost out on getting a low number, dangit ;)

I just can't see a use for it. For those who get downtown by means other than a bike in the first place it could have some value, but that is pretty much never the case for me. I do appreciate their value for tourists of course. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, just that I don't see myself using it.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

I was all set to sign up so I could share my membership with houseguests, but I see on their FAQ that that's not allowed. Bummer. I guess I'm sorta wondering why I'd want to be a member, then...

All of you superbikers, why are you joining if you're already on a bike most of the time? Just to support?

#351.  Glad I was a little late so I could see the ATA email with discount.

Yeah, bike sharing is a little different from riding a bike you own everywhere.  Believe it or not, there are many Chicagoans who don't even own a single bike--but may be tempted to hop on a Divvy a few times a week to go somewhere.  And, after tasting riding a bit, might be inclined to get their own bikes, thus increasing total mode share (that seems to have happened in DC).

Divvy will replace for many of us that annoying $5 or $10 taxi ride, or 10-minute bus wait, from a Metra station to our final destination.  Metra & CTA have bike restrictions in the mornings and evenings, and even traveling on a crowded train with a folding bike can be difficult in a packed rush hour train car.  I wouldn't even attempt bringing a bike of any sort on the Brown Line at 5:15 PM, as riders are already completely sardined in.  I can see all kinds of ways Divvy might help me.

I could see using it when I don't feel like riding in the morning due to weather, but riding home if it clears up later.  Or if I'm out with people (station near The Hideout in phase 3) and don't want to pay for a cab home.

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

There are lots of days when I may not have a bike downtown when one would be handy for errands.  Also, during festivals when Metra has bike blackout days, now I'll always have a bike waiting downtown for me - or near the 35th St. station if I'm going to visit friends in Bridgeport.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service