The Chainlink

This morning, 6:15 am, cab driver veers onto sidewalk, hits a light pole, flips the cab four times or more, and hits and kills a 30-year-old man who was sitting on a bench waiting for the bus. So horrible. One commenter at the end of the story said her boyfriend witnessed this and estimated the cab driver was going 60 mph.

Tribune story is here.

Views: 2781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really thought someone tried to blow up the Blue Line stop when I rode by around 7:00am.  Unbelievable that it was all from one cab.

All the tweets I saw about it compared it to when they were filming Transformers. Sounds horrible.... well, it is horrible.

Link seems not to be working, too late to edit post. Trying again.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-1-dead-2-inju...

I sure hope that police and prosecutors make a really solid case against the driver.

Cameron Puetz said:

Based on the number of times the cab rolled and how far the Tribune reported that the victim was flung, 60 mph is probably on the low side for the cab's speed. That kind of recklessness goes beyond any traffic violation and into the territory of criminally negligent manslaughter. The cabbie should be looking at prison time and never driving anything again.

When a car goes out of control it's an "act of god."  I hope the driver is able to get back on his feet quickly and put this behind him emotionally as well.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

That goes for a lot of cab drivers in Chicago. I know, they must earn a living, but not by endangering lives and health of their passengers, other drivers, bikers and pedestrians.

Where is an outrage comparable in scale with all the shit being thrown at "rogue cyclists"?

Cameron Puetz said:

Based on the number of times the cab rolled and how far the Tribune reported that the victim was flung, 60 mph is probably on the low side for the cab's speed. That kind of recklessness goes beyond any traffic violation and into the territory of criminally negligent manslaughter. The cabbie should be looking at prison time and never driving anything again.

I don't know if this applies to today's situation, but I've often found that passengers are a big factor in the reckless driving problem.  If they make unreasonable demands of the driver, that driver often can't resist the lure of a big tip.  I try to avoid being one of those passengers on the rare occasions when I take cabs.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

That goes for a lot of cab drivers in Chicago. I know, they must earn a living, but not by endangering lives and health of their passengers, other drivers, bikers and pedestrians.

Being a professional means that you put doing the job properly in front of customer, or even employer, demands.  It is no excuse and makes the whole thing even worse.

Think about it; if he did this because he was being egged on by the passenger for a tip he took a life for probably 5 bucks.

Anne Alt said:

I don't know if this applies to today's situation, but I've often found that passengers are a big factor in the reckless driving problem.  If they make unreasonable demands of the driver, that driver often can't resist the lure of a big tip.  I try to avoid being one of those passengers on the rare occasions when I take cabs.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

what a horrible senseless shame. The victim worked in a high-risk job and yet he is killed waiting for the bus on the bench. and the passenger is seriously injured. I hope there is some sort of fair justice that will be

handed out in this case.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to the victim's friends and family.  There is no good way to go but to be mowed-down on the sidewalk by an improperly-controlled 2000+ pound projectile weapon has to be one of the more egregious ways. 

Auto traffic is moving too fast on Chicago streets and nobody seems to ever do anything about it.  A ped or bicyclist is getting killed on average of about once a week in this city and the carnage is simply being ignored.  This has to stop.

THIS

James BlackHeron said:

Auto traffic is moving too fast on Chicago streets and nobody seems to ever do anything about it.  A ped or bicyclist is getting killed on average of about once a week in this city and the carnage is simply being ignored.  This has to stop.

Yes, the scene was carnage. I thought for sure it was several cars.  Sadly the best bike reroute was behind the bank, right where they hid the body from cars, so most of the bikers saw it under white sheets. 

+1

James BlackHeron said:

My thoughts and sympathies go out to the victim's friends and family.  There is no good way to go but to be mowed-down on the sidewalk by an improperly-controlled 2000+ pound projectile weapon has to be one of the more egregious ways. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service