The Chainlink

Hey everyone. The man who Killed Bobby Cann has an extremely good and well paid layer. The facts coming out are that his BAC was .127 (roughly 6 drinks in an hour) and that he was driving 50 in a 30 when he hit Bobby. There were three other people in the car with him and no one stopped him from driving.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130601/old-town/100k-bond-for-man-...

I am posting this because keeping media attention on this is prob the best way to make sure that these people do not get off easy.

I am asking for people to come out and talk about this. To show up at the court hearings and to over all not let this get swept under the rug.

I am asking for people in the community that can help with the to please get a hold of me.

Thanks!

Views: 17225

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Protected bike lanes will not stop drunk drivers.

Zoetrope said:

How are they not relevant to any situation in which a cyclist is killed by reckless motorist behavior? Situations like these can be avoided with the proper PBL. If you were pro-PBL's you'd be pro cyclist safety, and that's what PBL's do: keep riders safe. Anti-PBL Agenda Haters go away.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

I am pro-PBLs. My point was that they are irrelevant in this situation, and the real issue is reckless driving.

Thanks for pointing out the relative futility of trying to eliminate drunk driving. Aside from fitting bar goers with electronic collars that constrict the wearers airway when it senses you are unfit to drive, what do you suggest we do? I don't really want to hear your inane solution, I'm making fun of you.

Regardless, whether the driver was drunk or sober, a barrier is the only thing that will protect a cyclist from a similar fate.

David Barish said:

Laws have long attempted to protect people from this type of behavior. Reckless driving and driving while intoxicated have long been illegal.  That was not enough to stop this driver.

Equip all cars with breathalyzers that prevent the car from starting if the BAC is over the legal limit.

Zoetrope said:

Thanks for pointing out the relative futility of trying to eliminate drunk driving. Aside from fitting bar goers with electronic collars that constrict the wearers airway when it senses you are unfit to drive, what do you suggest we do? I don't really want to hear your inane solution, I'm making fun of you.

Regardless, whether the driver was drunk or sober, a barrier is the only thing that will protect a cyclist from a similar fate.

David Barish said:

Laws have long attempted to protect people from this type of behavior. Reckless driving and driving while intoxicated have long been illegal.  That was not enough to stop this driver.

There are absolutely ZERO excuses for his actions. Stop defending him. While you're at it, tell him to stop sending his goonies over to defend him as well. I don't give a sh*t if he is sorry or remorseful. He should be – he just took another human's life though his incredibly irresponsible actions. He deserves everything that is coming to him. Maybe he should have had these thoughts before he chose to get drunk and go for a joy ride.

chicagoBikes said:

I will tell you that I know with absolute certainty from a first-hand witness how completely decimated & heartbroken Ryne was at the scene. He did everything he could to assist the nurse in aiding Bobby and waited with him until medics arrived. He was fully cooperative with police at the scene; submitted willingly to a field sobriety test and provided the names of the bars at which he drank prior to the accident.

He is a normal, 28 year old guy who drank too much on one of the first beautiful summer days we had this season and made the extremely unfortunate choice to drive after doing so.

I'm assuming every one of you posting on here has never driven drunk, gotten into a car with someone who had been drinking, or stayed silent when someone you were fully aware was drunk left to drive. It goes without saying how incredibly hypocritical if not malicious casting that kind of judgment would be.

Similarly, propagating vicious, completely manufactured gossip such as claiming Ryne wasn't remorseful or that he was disrespectful is despicable. Ryne was absolutely devastated at the scene. I am sure he is struggling with every fiber of his being to find the will to survive or feeling that he deserves to right now. It's disgusting that any one of you would ever suggest or believe otherwise. 

Simone, what is your objective in disseminating that despicable lie? Did you hope to create more drama? Create more pain in a nightmare situation? You're calling for people to show up at these court hearings to punish him more than he will be already? What exactly are you hoping for, would you be satisfied if Ryne committed suicide? Would that level the playing field you? 

Ryne is not a murderer. He did not wake up that morning determined to go kill someone. He made an extremely poor choice to drive drunk—a choice every last one of you has made personally or witnessed. Don't doubt for a second that his life won't be absolute hell for the next decade. And yes, at least he has a life—but does ruining his accomplish anything at all in the way of honoring Bobby's? 

I sincerely hope the rest of you reading and posting in this forum have a more evolved sense of justice than Simone. 

Gauntlet thrown.  Fun made. 

Lets put all cyclists in protected lanes with suits of armor.  That Iron Man outfit may get a little hot. Just saying.  This is about a drunk driver. Put that same guy on Dearborn and the result is just as bad if not worse.  Put up a concrete barrier?  Nice reality check.  Lets put a fence on the Arizona border while we are at it. 

And I still agree with Adam.  I still mildly support PBLs. Is just that this sad incident is not about a PBL.

Zoetrope said:

David Barish said:

Well, look at that...

Another pro-Ryne troll. Joined 35 minutes ago. First post.

Hello "Nick"! Did you have a quick sex-change operation this morning?

chicagoBikes said:

I will tell you that I know with absolute certainty from a first-hand witness how completely decimated & heartbroken Ryne was at the scene. He did everything he could to assist the nurse in aiding Bobby and waited with him until medics arrived. He was fully cooperative with police at the scene; submitted willingly to a field sobriety test and provided the names of the bars at which he drank prior to the accident.

He is a normal, 28 year old guy who drank too much on one of the first beautiful summer days we had this season and made the extremely unfortunate choice to drive after doing so.

I'm assuming every one of you posting on here has never driven drunk, gotten into a car with someone who had been drinking, or stayed silent when someone you were fully aware was drunk left to drive. It goes without saying how incredibly hypocritical if not malicious casting that kind of judgment would be.

Similarly, propagating vicious, completely manufactured gossip such as claiming Ryne wasn't remorseful or that he was disrespectful is despicable. Ryne was absolutely devastated at the scene. I am sure he is struggling with every fiber of his being to find the will to survive or feeling that he deserves to right now. It's disgusting that any one of you would ever suggest or believe otherwise. 

Simone, what is your objective in disseminating that despicable lie? Did you hope to create more drama? Create more pain in a nightmare situation? You're calling for people to show up at these court hearings to punish him more than he will be already? What exactly are you hoping for, would you be satisfied if Ryne committed suicide? Would that level the playing field you? 

Ryne is not a murderer. He did not wake up that morning determined to go kill someone. He made an extremely poor choice to drive drunk—a choice every last one of you has made personally or witnessed. Don't doubt for a second that his life won't be absolute hell for the next decade. And yes, at least he has a life—but does ruining his accomplish anything at all in the way of honoring Bobby's? 

I sincerely hope the rest of you reading and posting in this forum have a more evolved sense of justice than Simone. 

Hey everyone, our Crash Support staffer, Jason Jenkins asked me to post this (he's in the field today).

Active Trans (Jason) is coordinating with the 18th police district and is trying to help them in securing volunteer court advocates for this case so their office doesn't get overwhelmed. We will keep everyone updated here and through our social media.

Please email jason @ activetrans dot org with any questions.

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

Thanks for coordinating, Ethan!

Arizona... that's a bit of a curve-ball but still in the realm of stupidity I was expecting. Seriously though, David, with all due respect, it appears as if you'll agree with anyone that isn't me (or anyone whom you haven't disagreed with/been offended by in the past).

David Barish said:

Lets put a fence on the Arizona border while we are at it. 

And I still agree with Adam. 

Of course he didn't decide to kill someone. That's why he is not being charged with murder. There are, however, plenty of reasons to vilify him. He is NOT the victim here. He made the choice to get drunk and go for a drive and he will pay for his actions.

chicagoBikes said:

I am absolutely NOT defending his actions. But I am defending him.

He is not a bad person, he is not a murderer. There is no reason to villainize him, individually; though I'm sure they'll make a prime example of him, he'll bear the punishment for a crime that is probably one of the most ubiquitous of all.

This is turning into a Salem witch hunt--would you be satisfied if the strung him & burned him at the steak? We've evolved since then, we don't do that anymore--catch up to the rest of us.

Promoting bars is indirectly promoting drinking. Regardless, it seems like you are missing the big picture here.

chicagoBikes said:

The site does not promote drinking. It serves as a directory for bars & restaurants --like metromix or yelp. You apparently haven't even visited the site. Ignorant. 

Davo said:

I suggest that we go to the facebook page and demand that his company issue a statement about what they intend to do for this "human" they employ. Perhaps if someone works with anonymous, they could do something as well.  Seems like a site who promotes drinking should share responsibility of actions of their employees.

I can tell that Ms. ChicagoBikes is going to be longlasting contributor to the Chainlink. She does all the right things: Pulls stuff out of her you-know where. Immediately launches into personal attacks, and generally ticks people off.

Welcome aboard, princess! looking forward to more entertaining brainfarts from you!

chicagoBikes said:

The site does not promote drinking. It serves as a directory for bars & restaurants --like metromix or yelp. You apparently haven't even visited the site. Ignorant. 

Davo said:

I suggest that we go to the facebook page and demand that his company issue a statement about what they intend to do for this "human" they employ. Perhaps if someone works with anonymous, they could do something as well.  Seems like a site who promotes drinking should share responsibility of actions of their employees.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service