The Chainlink

Bobby Cann Updates: Ryne San Hamel Pleads Guilty, Receives 10 Days in Jail

Jason Jenkins at ActiveTrans is helping to coordinate community response.  If there is any chance you can attend proceedings, please reach out to him: 

jason@activetrans.org.

Views: 43849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(Chi Lowe: could you change the title of this thread to something like "Bobby Cann courtroom updates"?)

Hello all. Today's hearing went relatively smoothly. Approximately 25 or so supporters, courtroom advocates, friends and family of Bobby's were in attendance. The State's Attorney has asked to revist the drivers bond so another bond hearing has been scheduled for next Monday, the 23rd, 10:00 a.m. Room 301 at 26th and California.

Jason Jenkins

Crash Support Programs Manager
Active Trans

What about the bond needed to be revisited? 

Active Transportation Alliance said:

(Chi Lowe: could you change the title of this thread to something like "Bobby Cann courtroom updates"?)

Hello all. Today's hearing went relatively smoothly. Approximately 25 or so supporters, courtroom advocates, friends and family of Bobby's were in attendance. The State's Attorney has asked to revist the drivers bond so another bond hearing has been scheduled for next Monday, the 23rd, 10:00 a.m. Room 301 at 26th and California.

Jason Jenkins

Active Trans

We'll have more info after the hearing on Monday.

Jason Jenkins

Active Trans

Thank you, Jason, for keeping us updated.

Notice from previous postings:
...At the arraignment on Aug 3rd, 55 supporters showed up
...At the hearing on Sept 18, about 25 supporters showed up

The interest in this is already waning.  This is why we need to keep the discussion on this trial open and free for comments. The "Code of Silence" crowd is only encouraging this lack of support.  There are many criminal trials posted and discussed in the newspapers and on television every day - why is this criminal trial any different?

Regarding the bond hearing on Monday 9/23:  in my opinion Ryne Sanhamel should be kept in jail, his bond denied, until his criminal trial is completed.  Keep him off the streets where we ride our bicycles.

Looking back through this thread, notice that the name "Ryne Sanhamel" isn't even included in the discussion.  Should we not even mention his name?

Hi Bob. I counted 42 people yesterday minus press and attorneys. 

Bob Kastigar said:

Thank you, Jason, for keeping us updated.

Notice from previous postings:
...At the arraignment on Aug 3rd, 55 supporters showed up
...At the hearing on Sept 18, about 25 supporters showed up

The interest in this is already waning.  This is why we need to keep the discussion on this trial open and free for comments. The "Code of Silence" crowd is only encouraging this lack of support.  There are many criminal trials posted and discussed in the newspapers and on television every day - why is this criminal trial any different?

Regarding the bond hearing on Monday 9/23:  in my opinion Ryne Sanhamel should be kept in jail, his bond denied, until his criminal trial is completed.  Keep him off the streets where we ride our bicycles.

Looking back through this thread, notice that the name "Ryne Sanhamel" isn't even included in the discussion.  Should we not even mention his name?

I'm a courtroom advocate, and there was a really long line women's line yesterday (45 mins, out to the street) to get into the court building that prohibited some of us from being in the actual courtroom for the short proceedings. Plus there isn't a ton of space in there - 42 people is packed for the viewing gallery. Even the last court date, some people were outside.

The prosecutor was clear that the judge continues to be very aware of the keen public interest in the case. 

Philip Bird said:Hi Bob. I counted 42 people yesterday minus press and attorneys.

I was only quoting Jason's report: "Approximately 25 or so supporters, courtroom advocates, friends and family of Bobby's were in attendance."

Thank you everyone, those of us not able to make it to the courtroom appreciate the updates.

How's the bike parking at 26th/Cal?  I'd like to attend/support, but not get my bike/components ripped off. 

There aren't many racks but there is a long iron fence directly across the street from the courthouse. There is also a steady stream of police entering and exiting the building so I'm pretty sure you're okay.

Also thanks Chi Lowe for changing the title of the thread.

Jason Jenkins
Active Trans

There's a rack on California, right in front of the main entrance to the building.  Steady stream of cops in that area for obvious reasons.

Get there early if you want a space on that rack (and to get through security).  Leave your cell phone at home.

I don't "reasonably agree" his family and friends' feelings are more important than the cycling community as a whole (which I know you cleverly left out) or the future of urban cycling in this country. And in this regard I continue to feel Bobby Cann is being let down in the court of public opinion no matter how well (and I admit many people are working hard for him) he's being represented in the court of law. That's all I will say about this since I have been told to keep my mouth shut.

On an unrelated topic, If I ever get killed by a motorist while cycling, I would like the world to know that you may make me a poster-boy for any sort of pro-cyclist debate, anti-drunk driving campaign, or road safety push regardless of how you may perceive these things to affect my family and friends and no matter how strongly people want to express their opinions over what happened. You may post online, pass out flyers, hold up signs, block the Kennedy during rush hour, whatever you want. In fact, if it helps the cycling community, I don't care if that means the killer goes free. I would rather go down as an over-exaggerated topic of debate that impacts the world's opinion for the better than to be an unknown guy who sends an unknown killer away for 9 months and 9 more of probation.

Davis Moore said:

(And I think everyone would reasonably agree that their emotional, mental and spiritual needs are of greater priority in this situation than yours or mine or any other member of "the cycling community" personal curiosity and perceived need to be "in the know" about every single detail.)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service