Bobby Cann Updates: Ryne San Hamel Pleads Guilty, Receives 10 Days in Jail

Jason Jenkins at ActiveTrans is helping to coordinate community response.  If there is any chance you can attend proceedings, please reach out to him: 

jason@activetrans.org.

Views: 44085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxNL98-J8ijgS2pBSEtNVWZyaEU/edit

This is the transcript from the hearing on April 20th.  There have been at least three hearings after this, the most recent was June 2nd.

Distributed on Google Drive, and I'm not too familiar with using this.  If it doesn't "work" let me know and I'll try to find something else.  If you have any suggestions, let me know that too.

Thanks for the update. I was able to read it just fine.

Interesting that Judge Hooks wants to get things moving: "... this case has been around too long in the Court's opinion based upon the nature of the case." Maybe that's just his way of telling both attorneys to be ready to argue/state progress at every hearing.

Given that we're now into the THIRD YEAR since this killing, I can certainly agree with him!

Wow. I knew the defendant was rich, but I didn't know he was Sam-Adams-Jr.-clientele rich. No wonder San Hamel thinks he's going to get away with it. His lawyer kept Blago out of jail, and he's using the classic rich asshole defense strategy of delay, suppress, and delay some more...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2015/06/05/after-two-...

Amazingly, in the latest court transcript (two hearings have happened since, I think), it was the absence of the state's attorney that caused nothing to happen. Adams was there, ready to argue a couple defense motions. It's one thing curse the defense attorney for slowing things down with a flood of motions. It's quite another when the prosecution isn't there to respond.

Didn't know that, Skip. Appreciate the insight. I guess one can list punctuality on the short list of Adams' admirable qualities.

On a more serious note, I'm even more worried about the outcome of this trial. I'll admit, I haven't shown up for any of the proceedings, but all this might compel me to do so...

"We have trouble understanding why it would take so long—there must be issues we don't get. It is exceedingly frustrating," Maria Cann, the victim's mother, says. "It is hard not to feel sometimes like this case has been forgotten."

Except for the followups from the Reader, the lack of any more reporting or discussion suggests that the case is being forgotten. 

Why do you say that? At the last hearing there were about a dozen individuals present in support of Bobby.

Good to hear that!  What happened in the court?

This e-mail is to inform you that there is an upcoming court event involving the defendant Ryne Sanhamel and case number 13CR1355001.

A hearing has been scheduled for 6/16/2015 at 10:00 AM. This will take place in Circuit Court 127, located at the following address: 2600 South California Ave, Chicago, IL .

Please be aware that there are often multiple cases set on a particular date in this court. The case you are involved in may not be reached on the scheduled day. You may want to check for updates to this information by periodically calling the VINE service or visiting www.vinelink.com.

For more information, contact the county clerk's office.

Thank you,

Cook County Automated Victim Notification System

6/20/2015

This e-mail is to inform you that there is an upcoming court event involving the defendant Ryne Sanhamel and case number 13CR1355001.

A hearing has been scheduled for 6/25/2015 at 10:00 AM. This will take place in Circuit Court 127, located at the following address: 2600 South California Ave, Chicago, IL .

Please be aware that there are often multiple cases set on a particular date in this court. The case you are involved in may not be reached on the scheduled day. You may want to check for updates to this information by periodically calling the VINE service or visiting www.vinelink.com.

For more information, contact the county clerk's office.

Thank you,

Cook County Automated Victim Notification System

(Has anybody who has been attending these court hearings able to report anything?  This discussion and following seems to have stopped.)

ANYBODY who posts info gets their source of information cut off.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service