The Chainlink

So I fear admitting this, but I am in a biker's slump. While last year I couldn't wait to jump on my bikes and go for quick or long rides, these last few weeks I've found myself rationalizing the metra and cabs over biking. 

I tried getting new gear for my bike, but it didn't break the slump.

I cleaned my bike (which only resulted in grease stains everywhere.)

I miss my chainlink events, but the thought of dealing with potholes and drivers prove a massive hurdle.

Any tips on how to break this slump & restart my love for cycling in the city? 

Views: 1508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See personally I enjoy winter riding for fun because there's this glimmer of recognition between me and anyone else I see on a bike, that we share some malfunction in the head.

Winter Masses also seem quite a lot more friendly.

Joel said:

I did basically no recreational riding over the winter.  It just isn't fun to go for long rides in the cold and wind.  The glimpses of Spring have me excited again, to the point where I've cleaned up my nicer bike and it is just waiting.
And I've got it. Bad. My derialleur broke on my road bike, and although I have a couple other bikes that need minor adjustments or a flat tire change, I'm still not riding. Haven't done a century or possibly even a half century yet this season.

I got the slump. And the colder weather doesn't help me get back on my bike.

You might think about getting a new toy for your bike that helps you get excited about riding again.  I am constantly tweaking and futzing with my bike(s) -this is always a source of new interest for me and keeps things from becoming routine and boring with regards to riding.  One doesn't need a whole new bike -just a few new things to rekindle one's interest.

For example:  My wife just got me a USB power-adapter for my road bike as a B-day present.  With it I now always have power from my dynohub to run my Android phone or other USB-powered accessories.  Now I can run the Endomondo app on the phone continuously and indefinitely and use it also as a cycle computer with all sorts of neat read-outs.  Speed, elapsed time, average speed, pace (time/mile) and many other things are right there on my bars.

I'm always on the lookout for new gear on sale too. I check the major gear close-out places on line regularly when I'm at the computer. That keeps me interested, as does preparing for cyclocross this fall and finally getting a chance to race.  

It doesn't have to be a gadget or gear though, it could be a new set of nice tires, a new comfy saddle like a Brooks, or nice grips -perhaps some shellacked cork or fancy leather tape.  The relationship between human and machine needs to be rekindled just like a relationship between humans needs a little romance to keep it alive.   Sure, riding a bike is the most efficient and intelligent choice to get from point A to point B -but it can also be so much more than that.  

Maybe a nice Tweed Ride would get a gal interested in riding again... 

Make your desktop picture a picture of your bike that you ride. or your phone background :]

New stuff always makes me excited. For God's sake...I got a new tire last night; The first thing I did was get home and run down into the bike room to put it on. For whatever reason, I was so excited to get up and ride on that new tire. Weird, but true.

I've got some claim money coming in from BP and it's going straight for some Gilles Berthoud fenders. I can't wait!

Did you get some of that bad gas Jim?

I did. Just my luck, the first time the car had been driven in some time I get the bad stuff. I do have to say though, when BP isn't busy destroying the Earth and wreaking havoc on local economies, their customer service is actually pretty good. 

James BlackHeron said:

Did you get some of that bad gas Jim?

I am heartily amused by the fact that their dirty English oil money is going to buy you a new set of fancy-pants fenders made in France.   Are you getting the stainless ones or the carbon fiber?

I'm going for the stainless. Luckily Boulevard Bikes the good stuff (GB and Honjo) so I'm going to be able decide when I go in and take a look in person. The only thing that irks me about the Gilles Berthoud fenders is that they are not pre-drilled. For a perpetually lazy person like me, that could be a deal breaker.

Take a camera along.

So I'm not the only one feeling this way.  Been enjoying the cool air on recent mornings and evenings.  I enjoyed being outdoors a LOT less than usual over this brutally hot summer. I'm starting to get excited about Bike Winter.  :)

Daniel G said:

Riding in bad heat actually kind of sucks. How many weekend days under 88 degrees did we have this summer? This was a flat-out shitty summer for every outdoor activity. Looking forward to a suspiciously pleasant autumn. And this summer actually has me optimistically anticipating winter for the first time ever. I guess this is why we all live in a city with seasons. When one of them breaks, you've still got the other three which are probably still running like they're supposed to.

Ride with a hot guy :P

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service