The Chainlink

It looks like we have some proper Bike Fall* weather on the way. . . just in time for next week's Bike Winter kick off/sticker release event!  Come on out next Thursday to the Billy Goat on Madison to meet veterans of all season cycling and folks hoping to tackle their first Bike Winter this year. Pick up (or share) tips and get inspired to get involved.   And, get the first peek at this year's sticker! Thanks to all who designed and voted. Event info here:  http://www.thechainlink.org/events/bike-winter-kick-off-workshop-an...

*I usually bust out the gaitors (ear coverings) when the temp gets below 55. What's your cut off?

Views: 856

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can do it Michelle!! Keep those fingers and toes warm and the rest is cake.
It is starting to feel less lonely out there in bicycle winterland.
Thanks, Ash. Cold doesn't affect me so much, but the heavy darkness, slush, and generally poor visibility makes me extra nervous about traffic safety. I do have lights, fenders, and balloon tires. I just need to get up the nerve, and maybe you'll all inspire me!

Ash L. said:
You can do it Michelle!! Keep those fingers and toes warm and the rest is cake.
You'll love being known as the "adventurous one" or the "crazy one" around the people you know.:) Plus you get to be outside. What's the alternative? Being indoors for 5 months+? For me, thanks, but no thanks. Plus you'll enjoy it and feel invincible once you get your gear game down.

Michelle said:
For many years, I've bike commuted from mid-March to mid-October, and was feeling pretty proud of myself. This year, my goal was to continue until Thanksgiving. You're all making me think my goal is too wimpy. Hmm, winter biking? Hmmm....

Next thursday? It will probaly be in the 70's.

I went swimming today so if you guys want to talk winter and go Christmas shopping go ahead! Winter if far too long as it is.

I'll talk to you in January when it's actually cold.

Aww...the idea of going south for the winter is making me sad now.

So I often read in winter biking discussions about people's winter beater bike, so I'm curious how much damage will winter riding do to my bike? If it's not damage to the bike from riding in winter, what's the reason for having a winter bike?

This is the first year I've used my bike for every day commuting, so I'm not really sure how much riding I'll do in the winter.

The slush, dirt and road salt can do a number on your drivetrain and rust up your chain and gears- although if you can store your bike inside and clean up the goo and yuck after riding (such as rinsing/washing the salt and slush off, re-lubing the chain, etc), your bike should be fine.  I commuted almost everyday the last two winters except for some of the extreme weather, and if I could, when I got home each day I would haul the bike in the basement over a drain (some take their bikes in the bathtub) rinse off all the salt and slush, dry it off, and re-lube the chain if it needed it.  My bike ran just fine all winter long.

depends.  for everyday commuting, expect significant wear due to rust.  all them shiny steel bolts - rust. any steel parts - rust. derailleurs and brakes will not be happy. if its a steel frame, make sure the paint is good. one will always say to clean clean clean, but its difficult to do that after every slushy/salty ride, especially if you commute daily.  i thought having a spray bottle to wash away salt and grime would help, but you really wont get everything and then you have to lube up right away. and then there is freezing, of course. 

i cant fit a traditional fender on my bike, and it may be part of the problem with keeping my brakes free from seizing up twice a season, but going with alternative braking solutions such as coaster brakes or fixed gear riding has benefited my frustration levels. i stripped my daily commuter to its most basic, my winter maintenance troubles went away.

Lizzy M. said:

how much damage will winter riding do to my bike?

I agree with Iggi, it is difficult to clean after every ride and anything shiny will get rusty and/or crusty. My current daily rider is already an older bike so I guess I don't think about the shiny parts since most have long since lacked shine :)  I am lucky that I can bring my bike indoors at my office to clean it off as well as have an apartment basement with a muck sink and drainage floor.  I am sure not everyone has the luxury or time to clean their bike constantly, either.  I have seen a lot of people just get an old mountain bike or single speed for winter commuting, too. 

I just recently bought a fancy new bike and can't really afford getting a beater for a while, but I am thinking of splurging and getting some different tires to get me through the winter.  Can you guys recommend a brand I should look in to?

Hmmm...something I read about keeping your bike outside (protected/covered) is better than inside due to sudden extreme temp changes wreaking havoc on your frame and metal shrinkage/expansion. Anybody explain it better? Can't remember where it was (maybe here on the link a few years ago).

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service