The Chainlink

Just signed up for Bike the Drive. There are going to be 5 or more of us doing it. Various skill levels and rides.

We tried to find out about trailers and/or Trail-A-Bikes (are they allowed, how much extra do we have to pay, do the children inside/on have to pay, how much, etc.?). Nothing on the website. Does anyone have any info on that?

Also, if you have participated in it previously, what kind of experience(s) did you have? Any recommendations?

All advice will be read, and we will sort out what we can to make it an excellent ride.

I will have my (by then) 10 yr old on his 20" bike, me on "The Beast", my wife on her Huffy Sea Pines (1974ish), an Army buddy on his Aluminum "hot rod" (that's what I call it), and George Vanderford on something that has 2 wheels (I hope).

Again, any advice will be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Respectfully,

Manny

Views: 3622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Something tells me nothing will make you happy. 

Craig S. said:

Get real, Julie.

For free?  Tell my checkbook that I get to drive on LSD for free, all year round.  I think you'll be in for a great debate.

The entry fee does not pay for the infrastructure, but for the cost of organizing the event itself (and serves as a fundraiser). You are comparing apples to oranges.

Craig S. said:

I love this ride but I have an extremely difficult time with it as a paid event, fund raiser or not.  As a citizen/resident, I pay for that infrastructure.  As a car owner, I pay for that infrastructure.

You sound like you are in dire need of a drink. Maybe that will lighten your sour mood :)

Craig S. said:

Get real, Julie.

For free?  Tell my checkbook that I get to drive on LSD for free, all year round.  I think you'll be in for a great debate.

Craig I was simply repeating what some people were talking about above.

I know we pay taxes and if you drive you pay gas, city stickers fees.   

Craig S. said:

Get real, Julie.

Julie Hochstadter said:

I think its one of the most amazing events we have here in Chicago and I thank ATA for putting on such a huge endeavor. I don't know what it costs, what it brings in, etc. but I'm sure it costs a whole lot of money and is ATA's largest fundraiser of the year. And it's a WHOLE lot of people who do it, many from the burbs, some who rarely ride.  I enjoy and appreciate events that bring people in the city and get people on bikes.  

Yes, it's a lot of money... I'm pretty sure if you volunteer before or after the event you get to ride for free. It used to be that way and that's how I was able to do it.  Not sure if that's the case anymore.

Yeah I see the frustration with cars being able to use LSD for free all year and the one day we get it we have to pay for it.  If you want to get involved with changing that I think there are groups out there trying to change that.  Depave Lake Shore Drive maybe?

Thanks, Julie...we appreciate the thoughts and support (also from Anne and others in this thread).

Yes, if you volunteer before the event, you get a comp entry. www.bikethedrive.org/volunteer

Another way to save is to sign up as a group, where everyone gets a lower rate http://bikethedrive.org/groups

Or you can sign up early. We offer $8 off for the first two weeks of registration ($10 off and cool water bottle if you get a discount code from an MB Financial Bank branch) and then we have $5 and $3 off early birds into March.

And there's always discount codes (3chainlink)...we don't usually release those until the $5 early bird but they are available.

Active Trans members also save $5 and we have packages where you can save on the event and membership and our Four-Star Bike & Chow event. (early bird pricing applies to packages but discount codes do not because you are already getting a discount on the package).

Thanks,

Ethan, Active Trans

PS: I can't believe I'll be working at my ninth big event! Ten if you count the year I volunteered before I got hired.

I hope you read the rest of my entries, rather than picking and choosing something to reply to.

Yes, a breakfast Guinness right now would be sublime.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

The entry fee does not pay for the infrastructure, but for the cost of organizing the event itself (and serves as a fundraiser). You are comparing apples to oranges.

Craig S. said:

I love this ride but I have an extremely difficult time with it as a paid event, fund raiser or not.  As a citizen/resident, I pay for that infrastructure.  As a car owner, I pay for that infrastructure.

Why do you say that?  You've never met me.  Is it just because I have a different opinion than anything else shared?

Jason said:

Something tells me nothing will make you happy. 

Craig S. said:

Get real, Julie.

Sounds like it might take more than one.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

You sound like you are in dire need of a drink. Maybe that will lighten your sour mood :)

Craig S. said:

Get real, Julie.

I know I could use a guinness right now. Gannons anyone? Duppie? Craig?

I have no problem with paying for this event, I was concerned that i could end up paying and then

not being allowed to attend.

My issue is with helmets, as i do not believe they are safe, and rather than offer genuine protection they offer only a false sense of security.

I work in ER and have seen many bike injuries, and since helmets appeared (mid 1980s I would say), i am sure I have seen an increase i neck injuries, often leading to paralysis.

my belief is that because helmets stick out further than your forehead, your head gets pushed back further if you have a front impact while wearing a helmet.  I am certain that some of the paralysis injuries I have seen would NOT have occurred if they had not been wearing a helmet.

Your neck bones / vertebrae are far more vulnerable than your skull and need protecting, not being made more vulnerable.

Helmets are also designed for low speed impact, but unfortunately are relied on at speed, as they give a false sense of security and in my opinion lead to more careless and dangerous riding.

It is my personal choice to NOT wear a helmet, and i will continue until such time that convincing evidence appears to change my mind.

I will happily pay to attend the ride, but will not attend (and therefore not pay) if I am required to wear a helmet.

Does that make my opinion clearer?

I'd love a Guinness right now and would love to join you, unfortunately, I may as well be on the moon right now.

Julie Hochstadter said:

I know I could use a guinness right now. Gannons anyone? Duppie? Craig?

Amazing, the inferences people make on this forum, based upon words on a screen, of people they've never met nor set eyes upon.  All because I have a differing opinion of the saintly ATA.  

Anne Alt said:

Sounds like it might take more than one.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Craig S. said:

Get real, Julie.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service