Dies anyone know If the swap at UIC is going to happen this winter? The one out at Harper College is in a couple of weeks but I was wondering if the UIC one was still on. Nothing is happening on their web site http://chicagobikeswap.org so I was wondering. Maybe it is happening later this year into spring/summer?

It'd be a real bummer if it didn't happen. It was always a good one.

Views: 1408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This year was pretty friggin sweet!

Yeah seriously, we should do more of these!  I hate waiting for the winter months for them!  It is like Candyland!

Major Taylor Chicago was at the bike swap.  A big THANK YOU to Lee Diamond, the volunteers, the other vendors, and the Chicagoland Bicycle Coalition for putting it on.

Welcome to the community!!!  

ChiBikeGeek said:

First year at the swap for me this year. Super summary:Tiny J and I ate fries, bought stuff, saw old friends, and met a bunch of new friends. We both really enjoyed it. Thanks planners and volunteers! The community on and off The Chainlink have helped me immeasurably in my endeavor to become a cyclist, but this event was the first time where I realized I feel like a community member.

I picked up a few choice items this year but I missed the larger venue and the ultra-neat extra stuff like the bike polo demonstration from last year at UIC.  I hope next year they can move it back to some place with more elbow room again.  I am glad I trekked way out to the burby swap a few weeks back too.  That was an all-day treat while yesterday I had seen everything and had enough of trodden toes after an hour.   Still, this was a great first effort by a new group and a solid showing even if it was a bit tight inside for my comfort.   James likes his personal space...

I'd like to offer a big THANK YOU to Lee, Kevin and everyone who made Saturday's Bike Swap happen. It was a vibrant community gathering that helped brighten this seemingly endless winter.

+1

Anne Alt said:

I'd like to offer a big THANK YOU to Lee, Kevin and everyone who made Saturday's Bike Swap happen. It was a vibrant community gathering that helped brighten this seemingly endless winter.

Just as a counter point and not to cause a Beezodog like flame war.

I preferred the smaller venue cause I didn't need the lectures or bike polo.  But i LOVED having food and libation! The last year at UIC I was there for a minute, got hungry, and bounced.

Yes it was crowded, and lord knows a large crowd of bikers is gonna be a pain in the ass, but no one was in a hurry which was great. Talked to a ton of great folks and only saw one asshole. (everyone saw me so everyone else saw more than one asshole).

Perhaps this can be called a Bike Swap & Social and the burbs can keep the big, gaudy, one?

Lee and Kevin were fantastic and I think the bar owner was extremely happy with the turnout as it brought great business for him as well.

James BlackHeron said:

I picked up a few choice items this year but I missed the larger venue and the ultra-neat extra stuff like the bike polo demonstration from last year at UIC.  I hope next year they can move it back to some place with more elbow room again.  I am glad I trekked way out to the burby swap a few weeks back too.  That was an all-day treat while yesterday I had seen everything and had enough of trodden toes after an hour.   Still, this was a great first effort by a new group and a solid showing even if it was a bit tight inside for my comfort.   James likes his personal space...

It was nice to have our resident bouncer keeping things under control. :-)

Vilda said:

Just as a counter point and not to cause a Beezodog like flame war.

I preferred the smaller venue cause I didn't need the lectures or bike polo.  But i LOVED having food and libation! The last year at UIC I was there for a minute, got hungry, and bounced.

Yes it was crowded, and lord knows a large crowd of bikers is gonna be a pain in the ass, but no one was in a hurry which was great. Talked to a ton of great folks and only saw one asshole. (everyone saw me so everyone else saw more than one asshole).

Perhaps this can be called a Bike Swap & Social and the burbs can keep the big, gaudy, one?

Lee and Kevin were fantastic and I think the bar owner was extremely happy with the turnout as it brought great business for him as well.

James BlackHeron said:

Yes it was cozy at times, but a larger venue would have cost a lot more to rent, and that cost would have to be passed on to the vendors. I think things were a great success, especially for CBC's first ever event. Thanks for all the hard work from the promotors and volunteers.

it was a great event, looking forward to next year.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service