The Chainlink

It always happens on the rare occurrence that I attach my bike to the front of the bus that I feel like an alien from another planet.  To make matters worse, there are two key ways to attach the bike, which makes it even more stressful for me - I sweat with nervousness on those rare days (impossible downpour, too far from home and knackered, inner tube blew and I have no resources to fix it) that I am waiting for the bus.  One means of affixing the bike is easy - the one where you turn the clamp around and onto the wheel.  Of course, several times with my 2 U-Locks on the bike I have found the bike too heavy - so I have had to remove them and put them in my backpack sitting on the sidewalk while I do the Olympic weight lifting exercise of attaching my bike.  Meanwhile, people on the bus are getting a great view of my humiliation - what could be more entertaining?  They might even be cussing under their breath because they are in a hurry and I am holding them up.   "Silence all that thinking, man, and just get the job done!" - it requires expert precision as well to lift the bike AND get both wheels into the groove without the front wheel deciding to jiggle around in excitement.  "Focus, focus, this is a Zen moment!"  But the means of attaching the bike with the yellow grip on the end of the pulled out cable terrifies me even more - twice so far I couldn't even get it out at all or far enough to actually hook it onto the wheel, and the driver, irritated as hell, had to come out to assist me whose IQ just dropped 50 points.  Wow, this is more embarrassing than an occasional male problem of attempting sex but being too nervous to get it up!   Are Chicago bus employees taping us and then watching the videos later during coffee break?  Don't worry, I am not really that nervous and I am not about to start another conspiracy theory, but am I the only person on the planet who has struggled with those bloody yellow Dragon's Claws that I must wrestle with to stabilize my poor bike?

Views: 1066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is there really a place you can practice? I am completely intimidated by these things and have biked home from Hyde Park to Logan Square in some nasty weather because I didn't want try this. The video is helpful but my bike is heavy and I would love to try it first in a stress free environment to see if I can even manage to heft the thing up there. 

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

There's a mock at CTA headquarters where you can practice.

The address is:  567 W. Lake St.

IIRC, there was a bike ride posted that goes to this location to practice putting your bike on the bus.

Elizabeth M. said:

Is there really a place you can practice? I am completely intimidated by these things and have biked home from Hyde Park to Logan Square in some nasty weather because I didn't want try this. The video is helpful but my bike is heavy and I would love to try it first in a stress free environment to see if I can even manage to heft the thing up there. 

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

There is a chock full of information Leah Jones called Teach a Friend - Bike on a Bus.

What is stressful for me isn't getting the bike onto the rack but watching it bouncing around on there as we lurch along. I worry about all that lateral force on my front wheel, especially when you have a driver who loves to gun it out of every stop and slam on the brakes hard at the last possible second.

Yep, it's for real on the Jefferson side of the building and available 24/7.

J.A.W. said:

IIRC, there was a bike ride posted that goes to this location to practice putting your bike on the bus.

Elizabeth M. said:

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. 

Anne Alt said:

J.A.W. said:

Elizabeth M. said:

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

A great place to practice is at the start of any bus route. Often a bus has 10 minutes during which the driver might use the restroom or get up and stretch. You can practice on one of those buses. Best of all, there are starts to bus routes all over the city.

One thing that gives me more confidence in the racks is taking some rubber bands or Velcro straps and tying down my brake lever(s) thereby engaging my brake(s) while my bike is on the rack. This way, even if the yellow swing arm fails, the brakes are a great backup.

As for the fear of people judging you, you just have to remind yourself you have every right in the world to use the rack and to take the time to use it properly. Our democratic government is encouraging you to cycle by providing you the infrastructure to connect via bus. You are on the "right side of the debate" here so be proud and put your bike up on the rack making sure everyone knows. You might even encourage others to cycle by demonstrating to them the deference cyclists receive thanks to the benefits they provide society by avoiding cars.

Finally, you can practice lifting your bike onto an outdoor table to get a better fell of how best to grip it and also to build some muscle so it's easier.

I hope that helps. I think that being able to practice with no time constraints and no audience should make it easier.

Elizabeth M. said:

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. 

Anne Alt said:

J.A.W. said:

Same here. The grooves were really made for wide (mountain bike) tires. In a way I understand making the grooves wider provides support for more bikes but there really should have been "stepped" grooves so skinny tires could fit snug as well.

Eli said:

What is stressful for me isn't getting the bike onto the rack but watching it bouncing around on there as we lurch along. I worry about all that lateral force on my front wheel, especially when you have a driver who loves to gun it out of every stop and slam on the brakes hard at the last possible second.

All great advice so far- all I can add is what I believe to be the #1 step in the process;

*Be certain that you are seen by the driver while you are in front of the bus.*

Yes, I always think about that.  Didn't a woman once get run over?

Fran Kondorf said:

All great advice so far- all I can add is what I believe to be the #1 step in the process;

*Be certain that you are seen by the driver while you are in front of the bus.*

I think you're right, Julie. And when I read that story I had one of those, "Note to self...", moments of pause.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service