The Chainlink

I only ask because as I stood up, collected myself and click-clacked across the ice to the high-side of the path to do a damage assessment, there were three other cyclists there doing the same thing.

I have to rate the Oak Street Corner Ice Capades as one of my favorite crash sites. I'd be hypocritical if I didn't, since I've gone back to enjoy two additional crashes after my first in 2003. It's simply sublime... it draws you in with the promise of safe passage, but then... as you round the corner... the suspense builds.... and SURPRISE! You are suddenly greeted with a radiant sheet of pristine glazed ice extending from the retaining wall straight into glorious Lake Michigan! Surely, it is the potential for sliding into a frozen, watery grave that gives this particular crash its high sense of drama and keeps me coming back for more. Five stars!

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh I know exactly where...Last spring I did a 50ft slide while I was on a training ride...I sometimes think about bringing my beloved ice axe. Come to think of it I also lost my favorite winter kit to that ice stretch.

-Ali
I saw several folks biff it there this morning. I opted to just turn around and ride through the city rather than contend with that jive (having bitten it there more than too often!). As I was walking north, I warned the oncoming riders to be careful!
I will never ever ever ride that stretch if there is even a remote chance of icy patches. I don't know about you, but taking a polar bear plunge into the lake does not sound like fun that early in the morning. Thus, this morning, I avoided the whole thing and road down Michigan Avenue instead.
FWIW my feet got soaked by the high waves on Saturday.
Ha! Vindication! One of my teammates chunked as well, as did one of our compatriots from xXx.
Perfect thing for ATA to start off with; pushing the city to put heaters under that stretch of the lake. After all, it's used by cyclists and pedestrians both.
They can't even keep that stretch paved smoothly! Maybe the easiest, quickest solution would be to install those cement construction barricades along the edge so the waves have a harder time reaching all the way up the slope. It would keep crashers out of the lake, at least, too.
I get confused, because I never see waves hit that high on the corner. I wonder, is it actually runoff from Lakeshore Drive that creates the ice sheet? Anyone?

evanK said:
They can't even keep that stretch paved smoothly! Maybe the easiest, quickest solution would be to install those cement construction barricades along the edge so the waves have a harder time reaching all the way up the slope. It would keep crashers out of the lake, at least, too.
Chi Tour de Cure said:
Ha! Vindication! One of my teammates chunked as well, as did one of our compatriots from xXx.

Geez I guess this is reason #65 to do your blog reading BEFORE your daily ride. Luckily I kept it upright but it wasn't pretty.

Maybe Ethan or one of our friends from the Active Transportation Alliance could tell us how cyclist could advocate for a solution to the problem along that stretch?
B said:
Chi Tour de Cure said:

Geez I guess this is reason #65 to do your blog reading BEFORE your daily ride. Luckily I kept it upright but it wasn't pretty.

Maybe Ethan or one of our friends from the Active Transportation Alliance could tell us how cyclist could advocate for a solution to the problem along that stretch?

Ethans says: " WALK your bike!"
Eric says: "Black ice sometimes forgets to tell you when you should get off of your bike." Oh, wait, was that a pun about the ATA? I get it. You only get to make jokes like that today.
Chi Tour de Cure said:
Eric says: "Black ice sometimes forgets to tell you when you should get off of your bike."

Ethans says: " WALK your bike!"

Or, if black ice is present (or may be present cos you can't really see it), use our awesome transit system.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service