The Chainlink

http://dooringalertsystems.com/

There is a new anti-dooring system proposed by inventors that is incorporated into a vehicle's technology.

Do you think that this dooring alert system, if it would be adopted in the future by the auto industry, would be effective in reducing doorings?

Views: 1436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, in response to the license for cyclists - this isn't the recommended way to gain respect. What will help us more than anything is the number of cyclists using the roads. The more people that ride, the better off we will be because it normalizing cycling. If people have friends and family doing it, that also makes it more accessible which is great for us. We're definitely on our way but if we want to continue to make those numbers go up, we need more cyclists, not less. Adding a license and additional hoops to jump through as a requirement for riding your bike will discourage more people from riding and not necessarily give us more respect. 

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85959053/

Joe, I believe that licensing will eventually happen despite the fact it may have a negative impact on encouraging cycling because this city is looking for sources of revenue. Yes, we do now pay taxes. We now have a garbage tax.

LOL.

Yasmeen and Tom, you guys are great. The link you provided was interesting, so now I feel a little less guilty about tearing up the streets of Chicago on my bike, although I don't think the average motorist will appreciate the other taxes I'm paying. 

And speaking of fees, I have to subscribe to the Trib to read that link, or improve my speed reading skills dramatically.

Just another rant you can ignore from your typical tax and spend liberal. You may now return to your regularly scheduled blogging.

It could be argued that motorists do not pay for the roadways either. i have seen figures showing the true costs of building and maintaining roads (and parking facilities of all types) versus the monies collected via tolls, gas taxes, licencing fees, etc., paid by motor vehicle users and those funds come nowhere near to covering the costs.

The argument that cyclists "pay nothing" for road usage has been debunked numerous times by many studies. Cyclists pay taxes and fees as well, even if they aren't specifically "road usage" costs, their support for general infrastructure is proportionate to what motor vehicle users pay.

One could make this point, however: the more that we as cyclists demand of municipalities in the way of separate "protected" lanes and other cycling-specific infrastructure, the more the anti-cycling types will demand from us by way of taxing and fees. i guess it's just a matter of be careful what you ask for.

However, yes, this thread has wandered far afield, and i share responsibility for this... we can argue all day long about the purported benefits of advanced automotive technologies, but i am now bowing out of discussions regarding licencing and fees and saving it for another thread, another day. i'm going for a ride now to freeload on the public roads.

Great idea mike w., I'm going outside now for a ride along the 6O6 now. The weather is nice. See Ya !

Well, yeah, but the underlying theme here is the safety of bicyclists on the road. But you guys are right, my bike misses me and I have to attend to her needs on this balmy afternoon.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service