The Chainlink

This morning at Chicago & LaSalle around 10:20am. Lots of police and an ambulance. Anyone know what happened and if the rider is OK?

Is it me or is this stuff happening more?

Views: 2098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel like drivers are more dangerous than I've seen in my past 3+ years of biking.  Just the other night, my fiance saw a guy get hit at Ashland and Milwaukee.  Thankfully, he was fine.

I was almost hit head-on in the Dearborn lane the other morning when a cab pulled into the lane to drop someone off.

Hoping the cyclist that was hit this morning is okay! 

My fiance almost got hit yesterday when a cab cut her off to grab a fair. She said it was the scariest thing that's ever happen to her. Today I was buzzed by a giant moving truck who then yelled at me for not "getting over further". This is a wide neighborhood street and I was riding about 1 foot from the parked cars.

Hope it wasn't a cyclist.

A friend on FB said he witnessed it at Chicago & State, but he could have been mixed up on the intersections.

Anyway, he said the driver ran the red, hit the cyclist, and continued driving. Said the cyclist was on the ground but alert and talking. 

Glad he's (reasonably) OK. Police were there en masse and all I could see was a bent bike and someone on the ground next to it. Hope a camera light caught the car.

Jordan Snow said:

A friend on FB said he witnessed it at Chicago & State, but he could have been mixed up on the intersections.

Anyway, he said the driver ran the red, hit the cyclist, and continued driving. Said the cyclist was on the ground but alert and talking. 

It must be all the road rage caused by all these damned bike lanes being installed.

blair_ said:

I feel like drivers are more dangerous than I've seen in my past 3+ years of biking.  Just the other night, my fiance saw a guy get hit at Ashland and Milwaukee.  Thankfully, he was fine.

Get out of my lane and onto the sidewalk!

(build bike lanes)

Stop wasting money on those things!  I'll park in them if I want!

What do you know? You don't even pay road tax!

blair_ said:

(build bike lanes)

Funny! I had a car pull up next to me last week to tell me bikes should be forced off the road since they are meant for cars.

blair_ said:

(build bike lanes)

Yeah, I've heard people say bikes shouldn't be on the road since the city streets were not designed for bikes. 

At 1020 am there is really no excuse for this.  Traffic should not have been that heavy. LaSalle is a big street and there should have been plenty of room for everybody.  I was in a motorized vehicle on LaSalle during rush hour and there was very little room for bikes in between lines of cars. (I have to be out in the burbs for work this afternoon and needed a car) Most drivers seemed to be aware of the bikes. It may have been easier because traffic was so bottled up that cars could not move very fast and the bikes passed them easily.  Darting pedestrians seemed to be the greater risk.  

Also it was the League of American Wheelmen (Now Bicyclists) that originally successfully lobbied for the widespread implementation of paved roads. Prior to that, they were just bumpy dirt roads.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

Rrright . . . How it never occurs to those fucking morons that both roads and bikes precede cars?

Not that it's an excuse, but it's possible the bike was going east on Chicago and car was going south on LaSalle when it blew the red light. I've been hit by cars both on bike and as a pedestrian, so nothing is safe.

David Barish said:

At 1020 am there is really no excuse for this.  Traffic should not have been that heavy. LaSalle is a big street and there should have been plenty of room for everybody.  I was in a motorized vehicle on LaSalle during rush hour and there was very little room for bikes in between lines of cars. (I have to be out in the burbs for work this afternoon and needed a car) Most drivers seemed to be aware of the bikes. It may have been easier because traffic was so bottled up that cars could not move very fast and the bikes passed them easily.  Darting pedestrians seemed to be the greater risk.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service