The Chainlink

Do you you think this is worth a try?  If so, please sign this petition asking the state of Illinois to create a bottle deposit program so there's a financial incentive to recycle glass.

Views: 899

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bottle deposits are a great idea. They're a higher end value in the recycling market, whereas broken glass is downcycled into aggregate (concrete filler, etc). I'm all for it, whether it reduces flat tires or no!

Of course, there's this little problem and this to contend with, from real life Kramers & Newmans.

In CT, where I am from, it is a piece of cake to get your bottle deposits, you just go to the store you bought the bottles at (or most grocery stores) and feed your bottles into machines which print out a receipt that you take to a cashier.  I recall seeing a lot less glass on the road and people gleefully collecting the bottles, usually for the purpose of using the money towards their next purchase.  This is a great petition and we cyclists have a vested interest. So what are you waiting for chainlinkers, sign today!

This petition is a good idea but I see more glass from broken car windows than anything else.  Good tires ftw!

I find that the amount of broken glass from car windows varies a lot by neighborhood and location within a neighborhood.

I used the Mr Tuffy tire liners. They work great on cheap tires and you can reuse them after the tire is worn out. Never get glass flats. Nails and screws on the other hand..that's unavoidable.

Yep, that would be a problem.

Thunder Snow said:

Of course, there's this little problem and this to contend with, from real life Kramers & Newmans.

Signed!

I've also used Mr. Tuffy tire liners.  The one thing you need to be careful about with these is to keep your tires pumped up at or near maximum pressure when you're going out to ride.  If you're using these and let your tires get a little soft, you're much more vulnerable to pinch flats (also known as snakebites) when you ride over railroad tracks, potholes, steel plates, etc.  Learned that one the hard way. 

If you keep your tires pumped, tire liners offer excellent protection against glass flats.  The only times I ever got flats with them were when I didn't pump up my tires or accidentally ran over a drywall screw.

MagMileMarauder said:

I used the Mr Tuffy tire liners. They work great on cheap tires and you can reuse them after the tire is worn out. Never get glass flats. Nails and screws on the other hand..that's unavoidable.

I signed it! Thanks for posting it Anne!

Dunno if it will reduce flats, but if it reduces the amount of trash we send to landfills it would still be worth it.

I have not kept track, but my fuzzy memory suggests that less than half of my flats are from glass. My current experiment at flat reduction is a pair of Panasonic RIBMOs - so far, no flats, but I only have few hundred miles on them so  it is too early to pronounce any kind of judgement. 

At the moment I'm drinking a homebrew, which is in a re-used New Glarus bottle. How can we go about getting the drunken bottle throwers into homebrewing?

Signed.

So far we're at 195 signatures.  Who hasn't signed yet and would like to help push it over 200?  If you know people who might be interested, please share the link with them.  Thanks!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service