"A Beginner's Guide to Biking on the Mean Streets of Chicago"

Sharing an informative article for new and resurrected seasonal cyclists on the "opening" of The 2O16 Cycling Season.

http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/25/a_beginners_guide_to_biking_on_the...

Source: Chicagoist.com. by Michael Una 3-25-16

"Winter fades into memory these first few weeks of spring in Chicago and we see a lot of bicyclists getting back on the road."

"Here are some tips to help you get out on the road in a safe and low anxiety manner."

Any CL members have some seasonal start-up tips to add for those who are now returning?

I will have to say I don't agree with the WD-40 suggestion in this article.

Views: 318

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

More basic safety and maintenance tips to restart the season.

http://m.wikihow.com/Perform-a-Daily-Bike-Safety-and-Maintenance-Check

A few thoughts...

I know this is a well-intended article and some of the advice is solid, there are a number of items I disagree with. I think that points to a larger piece of advice I have - be careful about the advice you receive when searching the Internet. I don't know that I would look to Chicagoist for bike maintainence tips. I don't know who Michael Una is or what qualifies him to provide the advice. I'd avoid this article if you are looking for advice. Instead, go sign up for a class at The Recyclery or West Town Bikes. And bring your bike in for a tune-up every year. Some of this article concerns me so I checked out his profile and it looks like he is a digital professional who likes to ride his bike. So here are a few thoughts in answer to the article...

1. Seat height - please don't go adjusting and readjusting your bike to fit you, hoping it won't hurt. If you are going to spend a lot of time on the bike, please go make the small investment and get a bike fit. It's completely worth it. When I bought my road bike and knew I would do a lot of miles, I had my bike fit as part of the purchase. For the thousands of miles I've put in on my bikes, bike fit has never been an issue for me. I don't know how Michael can tell you about your saddle height and bike fit when he's never measured you. When people eyeball to tell you a bike does or doesn't fit, while it's easy to spot someone who's fit is REALLY off, that's not necessarily accurate for fine-tuning.

2. Brakes  - this will be included in a tune-up. I have some bikes with disc brakes so I'll take them in occasionally to have them maintained at the LBS by a professional. 

3. Tire Pressure - Michael advises, "You will need to do this at least once a month." with regards to tire inflation and doesn't seem too bothered to own a pump with a gauge. We recommend buying a bike pump that has a gauge - preferably also have one small enough to carry with you along with a patch kit and extra tubes in case you have a flat. The bummer about flats is that they usually happen a mile or more away from the closest bike shop. Or at least that's what's always happened to me. I'd also recommend checking tire pressure far more frequently than once a month. Some times don't hold their air as well as others. High-pressure road tires tend to need to be checked fairly often - especially if you are doing longer rides (30-100 miles). 

Brett (Chainlink) just did an article, 15 Things You Need On Your Commuter Bike I'd recommend reading.

4. As Andy said, do NOT use WD-40 for your bike. Get chain lube from your LBS and talk to them about what you should buy.

5. Locking your bike - please don't lock your bike like the guy in the pic unless you want your front fork to scratched up on the pavement. Being a non-trusting sort of person, I wouldn't leave my water bottle and helmet with the bike either. I recommend reading Chainlink's, How Do You Prevent Your Bike From Getting Stolen

Ok, the rest of it I have less worrisome concerns. There's something to be said about your LBS being your friend. Find one you feel good about, one you can trust. I've had good, solid experiences with Comrade, Johnny Sprockets, Turin, and On The Route (OTR even gave me a reminder course in fix-a-flat). I am sure there are lots more out there that are great. If you are searching for one, ask around (here on Chainlink or your local bikey friends). Chicago LBS mechanics usually bike commute, love their bikes, and a lot of them race so they tend have lots of great ideas of what works/what doesn't. 

I think the bike adjustment/maintenance tips are pretty worthless.  OTOH, the advice at the end of the article to follow the rules of the road, and take it down a notch rather than being in an insane hurry, is great for cyclists and even more so for drivers.

Agree. There is some good advice with regards to commuting.

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/ss/Frame_size.htm

This is an article that I feel is 'worthwhile' in understanding how to fit a bike for an individual cyclist.

The intention of this post was to be a basic information community builder for the hopeful purpose of encouraging beginners and casual cyclists a better understanding of the nuances of bicycle fitting so they would progress and enjoy their time cycling.

Yes, of course, ideally a professional fitting consultation should/could yield the best results with a bike fitting. And yes, the best and safest way is to have your bike checked out at your LBS(local bike shop). Also, if it is okay for me here to again give some worthwhile advice and make a suggestion on choosing a LBS, I would recommend seeing Jesse at Comrade or Michael at West Town.

It's always good to post articles because this forum is really meant to be a discussion. I do worry about articles that give advice that's off-base because someone new to cycling may or may not know the difference. I think it's great to chime in with who you recommend for an LBS. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service