The Chainlink

i recently picked up a 1983 ochsner road bike. i've been messengering on a fixed wheel for a while and riding the roadie has been some of the most fun i've had. its got an almost complete shimano 105 1050 group on it, and i'm slowly changing it to the 1055 group from the 90's. just curious to see who else is riding vintage steel... also curious to see what people are doing to them. any one fitting old bikes w/ modern components? i've personally been digging the downtube indexing shifters. any one restoring to factory spec? its nice to hear from people who are taking old road bikes and keeping them road bikes... not to hate on conversions, but a good road bike should be a good road bike.

Views: 15792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm resurrecting this old thread because 1) these are some awesome bikes and 2) I just got a new-to-me 1983 Trek 400 originally owned my Grandfather.  Can The Chainlink help me find a good shop to get the bike updated so that I can use it as an occasional communter.  I'm not sure what I need done and which shop would be best to handle the work.  I take my normal "modern" commuter bike to Kozy for tune ups because the store is close to me, and I've never had any problems with their work.  However, I'm hesitant to take this vintage Trek to them.

Based on what I can find out about the bike, it's a 1983 Trek 400 with an imported frame.  Apparently Trek imported frames from Japan and built the bikes up (The "International Series").  The components are mostly original and match up with the brochure's description (SunTour VX derailleurs, SR Custom Cranks, Rigidia 27in wheels).  It looks like my Grandfather did change out the handle bars since I can only find 1983 Trek 400's with drop down bars and also changed the seat.  But I dig the handlebars and would like to keep them.  So, which shop in Chicago would be best to update the bike to get it in riding condition?

These are my two vintage steel bikes, I guess that makes me vintage as well because I built them both up when they were new. The red is an Alfredo Gios compact with campy c-record 7 speed (9 speed shifters added in the 90's) Modolo bar and stem  The Grey/Yellow is a Colnago Master with campy 8 speed c record ,delta brakes, cinelli bar/stem and ambrosio tubular rims. I still ride them often because even wit the best carbon out there, the ride is unmatched.

Michael A said:

Try Quick Release Bike Shop, 1527 N. Ashland.  Noon to 7 Monday through Friday and 11 to 5 on Saturday.  Joe is good.

JM 6.5 said:

I'm resurrecting this old thread because 1) these are some awesome bikes and 2) I just got a new-to-me 1983 Trek 400 originally owned my Grandfather.  Can The Chainlink help me find a good shop to get the bike updated so that I can use it as an occasional communter.  I'm not sure what I need done and which shop would be best to handle the work.  I take my normal "modern" commuter bike to Kozy for tune ups because the store is close to me, and I've never had any problems with their work.  However, I'm hesitant to take this vintage Trek to them.

There are several shops in the area that would be more then capable of helping you... Turin on Damen, Uptown bikes on Halsted would be on my short list... if you want to travel a little further there is a Johnny Sprockets on Bryn Mayr and Iron Cycles on Montrose.... To be put in into riding condition expect to replace the tires/tubes, brake pads(all will have dry rot issues), and prolly a new chain would be in order

JM 6.5 said:

I'm resurrecting this old thread because 1) these are some awesome bikes and 2) I just got a new-to-me 1983 Trek 400 originally owned my Grandfather.  Can The Chainlink help me find a good shop to get the bike updated so that I can use it as an occasional communter.  I'm not sure what I need done and which shop would be best to handle the work.  I take my normal "modern" commuter bike to Kozy for tune ups because the store is close to me, and I've never had any problems with their work.  However, I'm hesitant to take this vintage Trek to them.

Based on what I can find out about the bike, it's a 1983 Trek 400 with an imported frame.  Apparently Trek imported frames from Japan and built the bikes up (The "International Series").  The components are mostly original and match up with the brochure's description (SunTour VX derailleurs, SR Custom Cranks, Rigidia 27in wheels).  It looks like my Grandfather did change out the handle bars since I can only find 1983 Trek 400's with drop down bars and also changed the seat.  But I dig the handlebars and would like to keep them.  So, which shop in Chicago would be best to update the bike to get it in riding condition?

I'm not sure you really need to update - that is, replace - the components. You might want to replace the 27" wheels with 700c, but there's no pressing reason to. I'd take it somewhere for a tune-up and replace the seat with something that suits you, and you're good to go.

JM 6.5 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Uptown, Quick Release, and Johnny Sprockets (on Broadway) are all walking distance for me so I'll check them out.  I've also heard of A Nearly New Shop on Broadway just north of Irving Park.  They used to be in the old Hotel Chateau space and have a tone of vintage bikes and have good service reviews.

If you're looking for new 27" tires, look into the panaracer paselas in 1/4" or 1/8". One of the last great 27" tires available, IMHO. 

JM 6.5 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Uptown, Quick Release, and Johnny Sprockets (on Broadway) are all walking distance for me so I'll check them out.  I've also heard of A Nearly New Shop on Broadway just north of Irving Park.  They used to be in the old Hotel Chateau space and have a tone of vintage bikes and have good service reviews.

Thanks, Eric.   I'll check out the panaracers.  I'm thinking about keeping the current rims, so 27" tires it is for now.

Eric said:

If you're looking for new 27" tires, look into the panaracer paselas in 1/4" or 1/8". One of the last great 27" tires available, IMHO. 

Bring it to me at either Element shop; I love rehabbing old bikes.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service