The Chainlink

Maybe it's just me, but everytime I go to a certain bike shop, I get treated terribly. No, I don't have chiseled calves (yet), and no, I don't know the names of each and every part of my bike, not out of ignorance, but if I come in there, it's to buy something. I may need advice, but chances are, I will walk out of there with something. My girlfriend now has the impression that bikers are elitists, which I don't think is always the case. Does/did anyone else have this experience when they were first starting to ride? It really makes you think that bikers aren't nearly as friendly to beginners.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you thought about going to a different bike shop?

ChicagoBikeShops.info might help.
Oh, ABSOLUTELY. Every time I'd go to buy something or inquire about some issue, I felt like I was being spoken back to in Greek, and that everything felt like the HARD SELL.

That being said, I've definitely gained some knowledge over the years, and don't feel intimidated at shops any more. But I've always wondered why shop workers can't recognize that blank stare that signals "WTF?", and just speak in non-bike English.
the only bad experience i've had came from the old timey guys at oscar westin. i asked a question about surly parts and the guy basically called me an idiot for asking about a brand they didn't stock
expanding on my last post - i find that the shops around town are vastly different which will certainly affect your overall experience.

like, some shops focus on basic services for the commuters, whereas others are going to sell high-end imports.

the link vxla posted is great for doing some research on public opinion, but you really need to be going to a shop that deals with your need in the first place.
Every single time I go to a place I'm not known, if I have a question I'm treated like the "girl who doesn't know anything". Especially if I am looking at things that would help with maintenence (wrenches, lube).

Repeating from the other posts, go to the same shop. Then they will treat you like family and help you out. I have two in this city I frequent and I am treated VERY kindly at both of them. (From thier respective departments).

My personal favs are Cycle Smithy (sales and repairs) and Kozy's in repairs. They've helped get my babies in tip top condition without all the snobbiness.
kozy was actually where i was referring to. i shop there because i have a credit line, but in general, aside from the repair guys who actually seem eager to impart just basic knowledge with me, they're always rude.

M.A.R.K. said:
Find a nice shop that fits your needs that you like. Don't feel that you have to only go to one shop and that's it. I wouldn't let one bad experience get to me either, maybe you just got a bad guy, having a bad who was looking at the sale, not the person or something. Perhaps just wanted to show off his knowledge or perhaps they just dont have people skills.

I dislike going to some of the bigger reatilish stores, they seem to be kinda like that there. Kozys I guess could be a good example in the city. Where i live, they are raised as retail associates, not people getting paid to hangout, talk to you and help you out, familiarize you, educate you and be educated themselves. They just want to get you what you are looking for and ring you out. There's a few cool people here and there, its just a shame they work where they work.. Thats why I prefer to go to a smaller shop where its just the owner and or maybe a couple people who work there too.
I know what you mean, the sales department is extremely rude there. I asked a question about thier locks there and got a run around answer that ended up not helping me at all. The guys in repairs are cool though.

Dana said:
kozy was actually where i was referring to. i shop there because i have a credit line there, but in general, aside from the repair guys who actually seem eager to impart just basic knowledge with me, they're always rude.

M.A.R.K. said:
Find a nice shop that fits your needs that you like. Don't feel that you have to only go to one shop and that's it. I wouldn't let one bad experience get to me either, maybe you just got a bad guy, having a bad who was looking at the sale, not the person or something. Perhaps just wanted to show off his knowledge or perhaps they just dont have people skills.

I dislike going to some of the bigger reatilish stores, they seem to be kinda like that there. Kozys I guess could be a good example in the city. Where i live, they are raised as retail associates, not people getting paid to hangout, talk to you and help you out, familiarize you, educate you and be educated themselves. They just want to get you what you are looking for and ring you out. There's a few cool people here and there, its just a shame they work where they work.. Thats why I prefer to go to a smaller shop where its just the owner and or maybe a couple people who work there too.
I agree with Kozy's for repairs. So far, so good.

Ammo said:
Every single time I go to a place I'm not known, if I have a question I'm treated like the "girl who doesn't know anything". Especially if I am looking at things that would help with maintenence (wrenches, lube).

Repeating from the other posts, go to the same shop. Then they will treat you like family and help you out. I have two in this city I frequent and I am treated VERY kindly at both of them. (From thier respective departments).

My personal favs are Cycle Smithy (sales and repairs) and Kozy's in repairs. They've helped get my babies in tip top condition without all the snobbiness.
i second the cycle smithy love. my shop of choice on most days.

but yojimbo's garage probably has the best selection for import track/njs
Where is it located? I work on Armitage.

Video_Drome said:
my favs are Armitage Bike Shop and Upgrade.

Armitage Bike Shop is in the middle of remodeling their store. its gonna be huge. gonna have a section for every type of biking.
I'm at Armitage and Hermitage... near Ashland. Damn near neighbors.

Video_Drome said:
Dana said:
Where is it located? I work on Armitage.

Video_Drome said:
my favs are Armitage Bike Shop and Upgrade.

Armitage Bike Shop is in the middle of remodeling their store. its gonna be huge. gonna have a section for every type of biking.
I also work on armitage....at pulaski...

but the shop is on armitage and central park. go in there, ask for Mas, hes the owner along with his cousin. it used to be a hardware store and they even still make keys!
I've noticed that Boulevard Bikes is generally nice to people of all knowledge levels.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service