The Chainlink

Here are my personal unfavorites for street riding. Please share your most disliked streets and routes for new/existing riders.

-Addison between clark and damen (hellacious potholes, little scary tiny rocks)
-Western (self-explanatory)
-Wrigleyville before/during/after a cubs game
-Division (between elston and ashland, ghost bike installed there for a reason)
-Irving Park Rd (I got pushed so far into the parked cars by traffic I took out a sideview mirror with my fist riding a CRUISER)

Anyone else?
-

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wilson west of Western sucks. And I totally hate that section of Addison you mentioned. Went that way once- never again.
Damn straight. Ditto the Addison mentions. And I'm not too crazy about Broadway, either. A bus almost made me street pulp by penning me in between the street and the curb. And heading south on Clark (N. of Montrose) still freaks me out from my near-dooring of last summer.
I often ride down Cicero from Pratt to Peterson to hit that Whole Foods. It's busy, but it doesn't freak me out to terribly bad.

Video_Drome said:
I totally feel that Addison between clark and damen is a death wish for innertubes.

And on a cubs day, u can literally spray paint a line a mile long down all the parked busses.

Wrigleyville is nutty, but even nuttier if u drive and have to find parking.

How about the LFP? can we say death trap? atleast on a sunday or saturday or any nice day for that matter.

Downtown is hectic, espeically Chicago Ave right past Larabee. lots of construction.

And cicero ave. that street takes the cake!
- Addison west of I-94 gets pretty hair too, especially around Cicero.
- Wells street (that is where I know I'll eventually get doored)
- 55th street through Washington Park
- Ewing Avenue under the former Panhandle train tracks on the East Side.
- The Lake Front Path just south of the bridge over the river. They put in that very steep bridge over the new pedestrian under pass to the parking lot, but it's fairly "blind"
- Lake Street between Pulaski and California
Wilson is horrible east of western as well. Gotta watch it for pigeon crap and crackheads trying to steal your bike. (By broadway that is)

Chucko said:
Wilson west of Western sucks. And I totally hate that section of Addison you mentioned. Went that way once- never again.
Broadway is bad just north of belmont heading towards irving. it gets so narrow I feel so unsafe riding down that turn.

justJason said:
Damn straight. Ditto the Addison mentions. And I'm not too crazy about Broadway, either. A bus almost made me street pulp by penning me in between the street and the curb. And heading south on Clark (N. of Montrose) still freaks me out from my near-dooring of last summer.
Lake street is a frikking war zone. I ride down wells every day and NO ONE looks where they are dooring, valeting, jaywalking from gyms to restaurants... Yuppie frikking hell.

vxla said:
- Addison west of I-94 gets pretty hair too, especially around Cicero.
- Wells street (that is where I know I'll eventually get doored)
- 55th street through Washington Park
- Ewing Avenue under the former Panhandle train tracks on the East Side.
- The Lake Front Path just south of the bridge over the river. They put in that very steep bridge over the new pedestrian under pass to the parking lot, but it's fairly "blind"
- Lake Street between Pulaski and California
I think Sheridan is really bad. Super narrow and the cars all have their Lake Shore Drive mentality going on.
My boyfriend almost got hit by a bus while he was walking across sheridan....agreed

jamimaria said:
I think Sheridan is really bad. Super narrow and the cars all have their Lake Shore Drive mentality going on.
Wabash from Wacker to Roosewelt. There are more metal plates than pavement.

The northern stretches of Sheridan.
Let me add California in Logan Square parts. I got a nasty flat and rode a quick 2 miles on a slow leak from a freaking screw penetrating my tire and tube. That was a loud leak. Phew.
Ammo said:
Wilson is horrible east of western as well. Gotta watch it for pigeon crap and crackheads trying to steal your bike. (By broadway that is)

Ha! Yeah, that intersection of Wilson and Broadway has always been interesting. It's gotten a lot better in the past few years though. Still, you're right, even though the city has it posted as a "preferred cycling route" it's definitely less than preferred in a lot of places.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service