The Chainlink

I took this test that measures real age based on fitness, among other things. It said I may be working out too much. (who, me?) It's free and online so not likely to be very accurate but I still wonder how much everyone else rides per week. And how much of that would you consider recreational vs. exercise?

I commute to work 15 miles round trip (the first half usually faster than the second due to path congestion at the end of the day). Then I ride around town here and there for a total of roughly 100 miles a week. I will also typically do a long ride on Sundays of about 45 miles or so bringing my total to close to 150 miles a week. On top of that I usually run a few times a week and do yoga or whatever else strikes my fancy. Certainly more than the average American, but not enough to turn myself prematurely gray, right?

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do generally anything from 70-100 miles a week depending on where I go/how far/errands. If I do a group ride you can take on another 35-45 miles.
Commute to work 3-4 days a week (31 miles round trip). I'm lifting at the gym 5 days a week, running 45 min 1 day and I usually do a 40 mile ride on Sundays. (7-8k miles a year)

When I compare it to people that race more seriously but are not "pro" we're doing about half as much. A guy I used to ride with would come home from work, eat, ride for 3.5 hours, sometimes eat on the bike, shower and fall asleep. This was Mon-Fri. Saturday would be a "recovery" day and Sunday he'd do the Alberto's or Mafia ride--250-300 miles a week. Somehow he worked out at the gym too. Winter meant plyometrics and cyclocross racing along with sitting on a trainer. (12-15.6k miles a year)

Depending on who you listen to, pros are on their bikes 6 hours a day 6 days a week logging something like 500-700 miles a week. It tapers up and down depending on what t hey're going for but for simplicity let's assume that they ride hard 8 months a year. 500x32 weeks = 16k miles. They also do the cross training, weight lifting in the off season and all that other jazz. PLUS they sleep in altitude tents (obviously no one does EPO). . . . . . .

I really don't think you have to worry about anything. I'd me more worried about getting hit by a car, accidentally swallowing a battery or being impaled by a migrating goose.

And . . . . in case you really wanna feel good about yourself read the following NYT article. . . . I have a few friends that did RAAM as a team and apparently it's brutal. This dude does it solo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.htm...
i ride prolly 130 miles a week
I figure maybe 1-2 miles. Just enough to be on a bike message board.
I ride to and from work most days and errands/fun other than that. I would say 50-75 miles a week average.
My weekly mileage is generally between 100-150 depending on if I get in any weekend rides, and if I ride to work every day. My ride to work is a 29 mile round trip, so 5 days of that is 145 miles by itself. When I get good rides in on the weekend too, though, I come close to 200 miles a week.
I tallied my miles from last week (I started riding again after a week off the bike) and I put in 172.3 miles.
18 miles round trip work commute x 5 days/week: 90 miles
Assorted riding on the weekend/neighboorhood dicking around usually yields another 60-70. So 150 miles a week is about what I can cram in. But once Winter hits, a very sullen Jason is lucky to get 75 miles a week in. :(
i've never really tried to count, although i would like to get one of those little cycle computers
Ok, so...This week I rode 274 miles...I've been measuring since the start of the century last sunday.
Whoa! You're nearly PRO!!!!

Julie Hochstadter said:
Ok, so...This week I rode 274 miles...I've been measuring since the start of the century last sunday.
Tommie, are you mocking me? If you are, that's cool. At least someone is reading my bragging on here...
I thought I met you today at Urban Assult but it was a Tommie who wasn't on the chainlink (but did get a bookmark!).

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service