The Chainlink

So, not trying to take over for the I Rode Today forum, but it's got a million comments, so let's start a Winter Bike thread for this season.

What I learned today, riding from Rogers Park to 5600 West on Belmont, and back, via various side-streets (and then lots of Montrose) and Hopleaf:

When rats are road-killed in this weather, they freeze into little blocks of bloody ice (2800 block of West Montrose).

When I'm cold enough, I will aim for the jets of steamy air coming up from the storm sewers--quite refreshing (1900 block of West Winona).

Biking in the city is a constant learning experience.  What'd you learn lately?

Views: 6732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I learned that snow and slush accumulate between my tires and my fenders to make it feel like I am pedaling through water.  Took me a while to figure out what was wrong, though.  I was looking for a flat!

HaHaHa. It was more fun to say, back in the last century, about the 1st 5 or 6 years. People still gave you that look till they realized.
Sometimes makes me wonder about folks in 1905 or 10 or 1913. Sad but I am starting to realize I am one of the old guys now. Oh so sad.
Joe Guzzardo said:

Hey Don, in your first 7 words you managed to make me feel really old, but thanks for the tip.

Donald P Kingston said:

back in the last century, about 1980, I was working construction out side all winter and I bought electric socks that used 1 d-cell per sock. I bought re chargable batteries. They were the best investment for warm feet yet. A snap over the top of the battery and they are on. When feet are getting to warm, un- snap and later if you feel a chill, re-snap closed. very simple.

Double thermal underwear layering is the only thing that works.  Otherwise I cry.

h

...that I just don't know what to expect with my hands. Rode out to dinner, they were fine. Rode back home, same gloves, same weather, and the tip of my index finger went completely numb. What the hell, eh?

I blame everything bad on the wind.  A slight change in wind direction and hitherto warm body parts become blocks of ice.  Did I mention I hate wind?

David P. said:

...that I just don't know what to expect with my hands. Rode out to dinner, they were fine. Rode back home, same gloves, same weather, and the tip of my index finger went completely numb. What the hell, eh?

I learned that the more thoroughly you shovel snow, the more likely there is to be a fresh coat within 24 hours.

(OK, I knew that already- just whining...)

I learned today that riding 2 ft further to the center of the road makes it like a whole new commute.

After more than 5 years of the same route, I have memorized every pothole, crack, and manhole cover on my route.

All of a sudden that knowledge becomes worthless when I encounter many new obstacles, simply by moving 2 ft or so to the left. 

I learned to avoid the dirty slop that gets sprayed from car tires.

1+

So true.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

I learned today that riding 2 ft further to the center of the road makes it like a whole new commute.

After more than 5 years of the same route, I have memorized every pothole, crack, and manhole cover on my route.

All of a sudden that knowledge becomes worthless when I encounter many new obstacles, simply by moving 2 ft or so to the left. 

I need real fenders instead of that stupid clip on....

There's a lot of truth to the adage that you're as old as you feel. When people ask me how old I am, I ask them if they mean my chronological age or my psychological age. Big difference. Stay healthy and let others appreciate your wisdom.

You probably heard the saying that the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. I've narrowed that gap a little since becoming (a fair weather) bike commuter.

Donald P Kingston said:

HaHaHa. It was more fun to say, back in the last century, about the 1st 5 or 6 years. People still gave you that look till they realized.
Sometimes makes me wonder about folks in 1905 or 10 or 1913. Sad but I am starting to realize I am one of the old guys now. Oh so sad.

I (re)learned today that the afternoon after a morning snowfall is worse. The slush is starting to freeze up again, and does get stuck between my tire and fenders, to the point where the drag becomes noticable.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service