The Chainlink

So, not trying to take over for the I Rode Today forum, but it's got a million comments, so let's start a Winter Bike thread for this season.

What I learned today, riding from Rogers Park to 5600 West on Belmont, and back, via various side-streets (and then lots of Montrose) and Hopleaf:

When rats are road-killed in this weather, they freeze into little blocks of bloody ice (2800 block of West Montrose).

When I'm cold enough, I will aim for the jets of steamy air coming up from the storm sewers--quite refreshing (1900 block of West Winona).

Biking in the city is a constant learning experience.  What'd you learn lately?

Views: 6733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't actually use WD40-- just found out it was an option if I find out in a little while that the locks are frozen again. Would use the graphite I have at home just for lubrication purposes.

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

I was just about to post that the craziest thing just happened to me, but it seems you had the exact same thing. My ulock was frozen shut and being the silly primate I just pulled and yanked on it and just when I thought I should get some xylene or 100etoh, it opened. The cylinders were coated in ice. Would angling it do a better job of it? And did the wd40 work well? I just biked from little village to old town with no real brakes, but used boot tread to slow and stop. Seemed to do the trick until passing an armored car in the Dearborn bike lane.

h' 1.0 cite="http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/2013-winter-biking-what-i-learned-today?xg_source=activity&id=2211490%3ATopic%3A631226&page=12#2211490Comment642256">

I learned that things that have never happened to me in close to a decade of winter cycling can happen in these crazy end-time winter conditions.  Both of the cylinder cover barrels on my U-locks were frozen firmly in place (in the covered position, which I suppose is a good thing) and all cables except the front brake cable were frozen in place for the entire ride home.  Fortunately the back brake stuck in the "on" position, so I was never able to get going fast enough that a partial front brake alone wasn't enough.

Once I had the sense to put my gloves on I was able to work the cyclinder barrels with a bit of elbow grease.

Dug,

A good teacher learns more from his student than the student learns from the teacher.

That'll be 50 cents.

notoriousDUG said:

WD-40 is not lube but it can free up a stuck lock.

In other news you don't put grease on a chain.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

WD-40 is not a lubricant!

I just use chain grease on my U-Lock and it works like a charm. There is also lock-specific lube out there as well.

h' 1.0 said:

I learned that  the security desk at the ER entrance near my bike rack keeps a large can of WD40 with nozzle on hand.  I had to take one of my locks inside to thaw this morning and then go back out to put it on-- fully expecting it to be stuck again tonight.  Year before last I carried a small bottle of graphite and a small aerosol de-icer in my jacket, but I guess I got out of that habit last unwinter.

Oh teacher H, what is the graphite? I looked at some of the de icers at a Walgreens and it seemed a little on the environmental side that could lead to some weird Korean monster movie like the Host. Although I think that was formalin.

h' 1.0 said:

I didn't actually use WD40-- just found out it was an option if I find out in a little while that the locks are frozen again. Would use the graphite I have at home just for lubrication purposes.

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

I was just about to post that the craziest thing just happened to me, but it seems you had the exact same thing. My ulock was frozen shut and being the silly primate I just pulled and yanked on it and just when I thought I should get some xylene or 100etoh, it opened. The cylinders were coated in ice. Would angling it do a better job of it? And did the wd40 work well? I just biked from little village to old town with no real brakes, but used boot tread to slow and stop. Seemed to do the trick until passing an armored car in the Dearborn bike lane.

h' 1.0 cite="http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/2013-winter-biking-what-i-learned-today?xg_source=activity&id=2211490%3ATopic%3A631226&page=12#2211490Comment642256">

I learned that things that have never happened to me in close to a decade of winter cycling can happen in these crazy end-time winter conditions.  Both of the cylinder cover barrels on my U-locks were frozen firmly in place (in the covered position, which I suppose is a good thing) and all cables except the front brake cable were frozen in place for the entire ride home.  Fortunately the back brake stuck in the "on" position, so I was never able to get going fast enough that a partial front brake alone wasn't enough.

Once I had the sense to put my gloves on I was able to work the cyclinder barrels with a bit of elbow grease.

Some of our work-members are institutional locksmiths, and to me they have recommended Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant.

What is the graphite? It's like, that stuff you're "supposed" to lubricate locks with...

Or it was, until we found out about chain grease.

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

Oh teacher H, what is the graphite? I looked at some of the de icers at a Walgreens and it seemed a little on the environmental side that could lead to some weird Korean monster movie like the Host. Although I think that was formalin.

h' 1.0 said:

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

I learned that chemical handwarmers don't seem to do much of a damn thing for my hands.

I learned that riding into the wind at 1 degree leads to frost in the goggles instead of fog.

I learned chemical handwarmers in my road shoes made all the difference in the world... sock - plastic bag - warmer - shoe - external sock 1 - really thick external sock 2.  For the first 5 hours I had nice warm feet, then the chill came, and the last half hour or so they died out and my feet went iceblock... if I didn't have them for all that other time (I rode about 50 miles today!) there is NO WAY I woulda made it.

The only chemical hand warmer I use is beer.

and what is the secret to crossing Berwyn and Cicero?

h' 1.0 said:

Lately I've learned how to get across Berwyn and Cicero on side streets. I've had some of my most enjoyable  rides of recent years traveling across the near west 'burbs late at night, just in the past few weeks.

Extremely bike-friendly winter so far.

back in the last century, about 1980, I was working construction out side all winter and I bought electric socks that used 1 d-cell per sock. I bought re chargable batteries. They were the best investment for warm feet yet. A snap over the top of the battery and they are on. When feet are getting to warm, un- snap and later if you feel a chill, re-snap closed. very simple.

Mark Potts said:

I learned chemical handwarmers in my road shoes made all the difference in the world... sock - plastic bag - warmer - shoe - external sock 1 - really thick external sock 2.  For the first 5 hours I had nice warm feet, then the chill came, and the last half hour or so they died out and my feet went iceblock... if I didn't have them for all that other time (I rode about 50 miles today!) there is NO WAY I woulda made it.

Hey Don, in your first 7 words you managed to make me feel really old, but thanks for the tip.

Donald P Kingston said:

back in the last century, about 1980, I was working construction out side all winter and I bought electric socks that used 1 d-cell per sock. I bought re chargable batteries. They were the best investment for warm feet yet. A snap over the top of the battery and they are on. When feet are getting to warm, un- snap and later if you feel a chill, re-snap closed. very simple.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service