The Chainlink

So, not trying to take over for the I Rode Today forum, but it's got a million comments, so let's start a Winter Bike thread for this season.

What I learned today, riding from Rogers Park to 5600 West on Belmont, and back, via various side-streets (and then lots of Montrose) and Hopleaf:

When rats are road-killed in this weather, they freeze into little blocks of bloody ice (2800 block of West Montrose).

When I'm cold enough, I will aim for the jets of steamy air coming up from the storm sewers--quite refreshing (1900 block of West Winona).

Biking in the city is a constant learning experience.  What'd you learn lately?

Views: 6733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today, riding with gloves still wet from yesterday, I learned that I really should have two of any part of my kit that isn't waterproof. I guess that just boils down to gloves...

I learned that things that have never happened to me in close to a decade of winter cycling can happen in these crazy end-time winter conditions.  Both of the cylinder cover barrels on my U-locks were frozen firmly in place (in the covered position, which I suppose is a good thing) and all cables except the front brake cable were frozen in place for the entire ride home.  Fortunately the back brake stuck in the "on" position, so I was never able to get going fast enough that a partial front brake alone wasn't enough.

Once I had the sense to put my gloves on I was able to work the cyclinder barrels with a bit of elbow grease.

And oh yeah-- I learned that a key can be used to scrape ice off your saddle (never had to do that before either.)

h' 1.0 said:

I learned that things that have never happened to me in close to a decade of winter cycling can happen in these crazy end-time winter conditions.  Both of the cyclinder cover barrels on my U-locks were frozen firmly in place (in the covered position, which I suppose is a good thing) and all cables except the front brake cable were frozen in place for the entire ride home.  Fortunately the back brake stuck in the "on" position, so I was never able to get going fast enough that a partial front brake alone wasn't enough.

Once I had the sense to put my gloves on I was able to work the cyclinder barrels with a bit of elbow grease.

I learned that a drum brake is perfect for those crappy winter days.

I learned that if you dress well enough, most of the rides that were fun in the summertime can still be fun in   January.  Sixteen miles from Bellwood to Argyle and Kedzie for Middle Eastern food and conversational Norwegian class for the win!

I learned that my brake and derailleur cables can freeze and become non-functioning. Luckily, the front brake still works. Good thing I was already planning on visiting the bike shop tonight for a busted saddle.

Just thaw the bike out long enough to dry the water out of them and then lube them well.  If possible pull the housing out of the stops to lube it up.  If your bike has a cable guide on the bottom of the bottom bracket make sure to keep that very well lubed.  When riding in the REALLY cold and the bike is wet or there is a lot of water on the ground give the brakes little squeezes as you ride to keep them free and do random shifts to help keep things moving.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

I learned that my brake and derailleur cables can freeze and become non-functioning. Luckily, the front brake still works. Good thing I was already planning on visiting the bike shop tonight for a busted saddle.

I learned that  the security desk at the ER entrance near my bike rack keeps a large can of WD40 with nozzle on hand.  I had to take one of my locks inside to thaw this morning and then go back out to put it on-- fully expecting it to be stuck again tonight.  Year before last I carried a small bottle of graphite and a small aerosol de-icer in my jacket, but I guess I got out of that habit last unwinter.

WD-40 is not a lubricant!

I just use chain grease on my U-Lock and it works like a charm. There is also lock-specific lube out there as well.

h' 1.0 said:

I learned that  the security desk at the ER entrance near my bike rack keeps a large can of WD40 with nozzle on hand.  I had to take one of my locks inside to thaw this morning and then go back out to put it on-- fully expecting it to be stuck again tonight.  Year before last I carried a small bottle of graphite and a small aerosol de-icer in my jacket, but I guess I got out of that habit last unwinter.

Thanks Adam. I look forward to anything else you can teach me about bikes and bicycling-- it's all so new to me!

WD-40 is not lube but it can free up a stuck lock.

In other news you don't put grease on a chain.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

WD-40 is not a lubricant!

I just use chain grease on my U-Lock and it works like a charm. There is also lock-specific lube out there as well.

h' 1.0 said:

I was just about to post that the craziest thing just happened to me, but it seems you had the exact same thing. My ulock was frozen shut and being the silly primate I just pulled and yanked on it and just when I thought I should get some xylene or 100etoh, it opened. The cylinders were coated in ice. Would angling it do a better job of it? And did the wd40 work well? I just biked from little village to old town with no real brakes, but used boot tread to slow and stop. Seemed to do the trick until passing an armored car in the Dearborn bike lane.

h' 1.0 cite="http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/2013-winter-biking-what-i-learned-today?xg_source=activity&id=2211490%3ATopic%3A631226&page=12#2211490Comment642256">

I learned that things that have never happened to me in close to a decade of winter cycling can happen in these crazy end-time winter conditions.  Both of the cylinder cover barrels on my U-locks were frozen firmly in place (in the covered position, which I suppose is a good thing) and all cables except the front brake cable were frozen in place for the entire ride home.  Fortunately the back brake stuck in the "on" position, so I was never able to get going fast enough that a partial front brake alone wasn't enough.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service