The Chainlink

Is everything being kept underground for this ride?

Any sneek peeks?

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

We were up near the front. We had 9 in our crew, including 4 first timers. The triple bridge thing was awesome! Everyone loved that. I thought the mass was pretty uneventful, but it's often like that near the front. The drivers don't get that pissed until they have been waiting a while. I will say this mass was way too fast. Our newbies, and even me were getting tired (I commute on bike too, so I'm in shape). And because it was fast we had significant amounts of cars driving with the mass, which was not good.

We were somewhere in Lincoln Park, I think near halsted and wrightwood ave when I saw the tail end of the only significant incident I saw. Basically there is some douchebag in a white BMW SUV backing away from the mass. As we get there two bike cops jumped off their bikes and another is yelling at the douche really good. I thought the one cop was going to drag his ass out of his SUV. The driver looked like some yuppie guy. We just kept rolling. I don't know what happened after that, but I suspect the mass got split up. We went NW on lincoln from halsted. My group pulled off for a minute to prepare refreshments. all of a sudden the mass was gone. I suspect there should have been 1-2 miles of mass behind us, but it did not make it. Perhaps people just split it up, or perhaps people were gawking at the cops and that bmw and it got split.

Anyway, that was the end of our mass. We saw probably a couple hundred at a 7 eleven up lincoln a bit. We never made it to the beach or anything. Kind of short, but a good one.
See the main forum discussion for an explanation . . . there was a gap behind you and the riders on the other side of the gap didn't know where the front had gone when they reached the Halsted switchback on Clark-- so the back 1/3 of the mass stopped. The front group eventually hit the lakefront at Fullerton.
The back group eventually got going and per "finch" hit the lakefront at Belmont (or took Lake Shore Drive). You were in the middle group :-)

Regarding the speed . . . partly a function of the refreshing cool-off on a late summer eve-- riding suddenly feels better than it has in a while. Other factors . . . large percentage of "new" riders, small percentage of more seasoned folks, a few seasoned folks in the front who knew better pushing the pace, seasoned folks just wanting to chill and take a break from "management." And by one account above the cops possibly pressuring riders to keep moving.

Jason W said:
We were up near the front. We had 9 in our crew, including 4 first timers. The triple bridge thing was awesome! Everyone loved that. I thought the mass was pretty uneventful, but it's often like that near the front. The drivers don't get that pissed until they have been waiting a while. I will say this mass was way too fast. Our newbies, and even me were getting tired (I commute on bike too, so I'm in shape). And because it was fast we had significant amounts of cars driving with the mass, which was not good.
We were somewhere in Lincoln Park, I think near halsted and wrightwood ave when I saw the tail end of the only significant incident I saw. Basically there is some douchebag in a white BMW SUV backing away from the mass. As we get there two bike cops jumped off their bikes and another is yelling at the douche really good. I thought the one cop was going to drag his ass out of his SUV. The driver looked like some yuppie guy. We just kept rolling. I don't know what happened after that, but I suspect the mass got split up. We went NW on lincoln from halsted. My group pulled off for a minute to prepare refreshments. all of a sudden the mass was gone. I suspect there should have been 1-2 miles of mass behind us, but it did not make it. Perhaps people just split it up, or perhaps people were gawking at the cops and that bmw and it got split. Anyway, that was the end of our mass. We saw probably a couple hundred at a 7 eleven up lincoln a bit. We never made it to the beach or anything. Kind of short, but a good one.
Who map the map?
No map.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
Who map the map?
Also I have heard that the police were not letting people cork while we were on clark. By that time mass was prettiy strung up though. I thought it was a pretty good ride though.
"I was riding to their left; the man driving was texting (!!!) and the woman in the passenger seat yelled to me, "We're liberal too! Why do you guys have to do this?" etc."

What does that mean I wonder? Because they are liberal they shouldn't be inconvienced like conservitive drivers? I guess if they were really liberal they would have chilled out and enjoyed the show instead getting bent out of shape cuz they were late getting to their sports bar.

On the pluss side for me: I had a lovely conversation with a women in that area. She asked me what was going on. I said its a monthly ride, we meet at daily plaza the last friday of the month around 530, and we ride sometimes with a map sometimes without from 12 to 18 miles. She in turn said, "Oh thats fun good for you guys." By that time my friends had caught up with me and I got back on the ride.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service