The Chainlink

Dibs!

Er, in other words, I will be proposing a route map for the June ride.

I'm still hammering out the details, but ideally we will head north to Boystown to revel in the Pride weekend crowds before continuing on a counter-clockwise tour of the city, ending at the 31st Street beach. If marina construction is still underway and the 31st St beach is closed, the backup plan is a clockwise ride, ending at either the North Avenue or Ohio Street beach.

More details to follow!

Views: 69

Replies to This Discussion

I will support you any way I can, Lauren.

That said, taking the mass south after taking it north is historically a very hard sell.  Especially that far north.

But you may be OK with only a small(er) group of your most dedicated supporters making it to 31st street with you.

whew, yeah, in a preliminary gmap-pedometer i was only to the handlebar at mile 18. i don't think i can do boystown and also end at 31st, so i will see how the 31st street beach looks tomorrow.

OK, i cut out a lot of the far north stuff and have us ending at 31st street beach. though there is still construction, the beach is open! we'll have a bit of a bottleneck at the entrance, but that is often the case at the lake. 

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4589926

i won't be able to pre-ride until later in the week, so last-minute changes may occur... in the meantime, please point out any problems or concerns with the route!

looks good!

I was up front with Lauren from about Logan square until the end at the beach.  It was (at least from the point of view from the front) a very good ride. We cruised along at about eleven miles and hour. I think some of the rear elements of the mass got splintered. When we got to the beach the numbers were noticeably smaller. 

This was my first Chicago CM, I thought it was a great ride.  I ended up riding over 50 miles that night and I had a great time!  There was still a huge group under the bridge on Loomis north of Archer and after that it seemed to break up a bit, but there were still quite a few people that made it all the way to the beach.  Overall great experience, nice route Lauren!

PS I love the routes ending on the south side, it's closer to home :)

This was one of the better rides in memory.

I helped with the start and the first few turns and then faded back (after gently recommending to the cops that they might want to be careful not to give the appearance that they're leading the ride.)

It was one of the mellowest rides I remember. Massers stayed on their side of 2-way streets for the most part, and there was minimal needless corking and actually not much corking in general. I didn't witness any interactions between cyclists and motorists that seemed contentious. The ride did speed up significantly (actually to kind of a ridiculous pace) about 1/3 through so I'm not surprised to hear there were problems with splintering.

Anyone see the guy with a case of beer in his front rack pulled over by cops? I think I heard them telling him he had to leave the ride, and he seemed to be offering the cops an American Express card?

I saw the cops stop the guy with the beer on his front rack.  I zipped by it pretty fast, so I did not see much else.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service