The Chainlink

So what's your secret to a happy bike commute? I've posted this one in the winter biking discussion, but here's mine: Eagle Creek Pack It Folders:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_folders/

These are a great way to take dress clothes in your backpack/saddlebag and not get them wrinkled. I got mine at the Loop luggage store "That's Our Bag".

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

i need that! so cool.
The biggest tip I can give is that, at least in the summer, one should get panniers. They make a world of difference, sweat wise. Also, puncture resistant tires.
For me the bike commute is by definition happy. The following two things make that happiness possible and practical for me:

- these garment bag style panniers that allow me to pack the dress clothes I need for work (including suits) with little to no wrinkling (I got mine online at twowheelgear.com, but have seen a similar bag at Performance); and

- having a place at work where I can shower and shave each morning (our building has a small fitness facility with locker room and shower).

The other thing I use on my commute is a little speaker system that mounts to my stem and allows me to listen to music without blocking out environmental noise (cyclesound.com). Sometimes the tunes just make the ride that much better.
Carry enough clean clothes to work once a week so you have somwthing to change into when you get to work. Leave your ride clothes in a fish net bag to try out when you change. Other neat thing is you can ride with dual messenger bags and a pack and pretty much carry all your necessary items. When at work disable your ride so no one can steal it or lock it up in a secured area such as supply closet, private restroom, etc. Out of site, out of mind.
I'm in total agreement with the pack it cubes. having relatively wrinkle free clothing to work in is nice when I change from my winter gear or if it's less than splatter-free on the ride in.

I, too, have a music system that I've been using for a year and change now. It's an Apple product so you need an iPod, but the sound quality and controls are pretty nice. This made what used to be a two hour commute to and from work very enjoyable. :) Also, they seemed to have dropped the price a lot since I got it.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN914LL/A

I have also begun to appreciate giving myself an extra fifteen minutes before I start work to have a snack after I arrive to help get those carbs and calories I just burned back in the system so I don't bonk while I'm at work.

I have also devised a few routes to compensate for winds heading against me on my route to and from work. While the alternate routes are not my preferred ones, the option to reduce wind resistance has made some rides a lot nicer, ESPECIALLY after a particularly tiring day.
That's a very cool speaker system. I might have to get one of those.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service