The Chainlink

As the title suggest, I thought  we could use this thread as a way to post open invitation training rides. This Sunday, I'm doing a lakefront ride:

Map:    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5841901

Start: Buckingham Fountain

End: Buckingham Fountain

Start Time: 9am

End Time: 11:30-noon-ish

Pace: I'd like to keep around a 14-18 mph pace


Description:

It's just simply riding the lakefront in it's entirety. It equates to about 36 miles + whatever miles it'll take to get to Buckingham and back (for me 42 total miles). Weather looks like crap for Sunday (chance of rain - 40 degrees) - from my experience training for marathons, I've found crappy conditions only make me stronger.

Views: 2023

Replies to This Discussion

Sunday it is.

J.A.W. 15.08 km said:

Saturday I'm already doing a ride to Two Brothers Roundhouse. So Sunday works better for me.

I'll probably join in as well. I don't know if I can swing the entire route at this point but I'd be in for at least the first half. I might bail to the metra after that.

Can you PM your cell number to me as well? I'm on the north side too and might just meet up on the trail.

I am doing J.A.W.`s beer ride this Sat. Not a training ride exactly, unless one rides back rather than taking the train.. Will do some carb loading at the destination, that counts as brevet preparation, no?

I didn't think that the weather could be worse than training ride #1, but it appears it will be with a 70% chance of snow and 20-25 mph head wind. I'm still going to give it a shot, but if its really bad I will cut the ride short.
After today's ride, I think I will not be able to do another cold ride. Plus, the rain forecast also turned me off a bit. So, I'll have to pass on tomorrow's ride. Sorry.
My weekend work schedule changed last-minute. So I won't be able to ride either. Hopefully
We can put something together next weekend

Took your route sat and then some, it was a great ride, hope the snow holds off for you.
 
spencewine said:

I didn't think that the weather could be worse than training ride #1, but it appears it will be with a 70% chance of snow and 20-25 mph head wind. I'm still going to give it a shot, but if its really bad I will cut the ride short.
Ride report:

Weather turned out to be much better than I thought so I didn't need to turn back. The headwind was felt going North, but wasn't soul crushing and I caught a ride on a nice tailwind on the way back. The Green Bay trail is good until it turns into crushed limestone (braeside metra stop) then it was a bit of a slog and the further north the worse it got so I hopped onto St. John's bay and took that most of the way through Highland to Ft. Sheridan. I was surprised by the amount of snow still on the ground up north. Ride back went well, but my feet were getting cold-to numb-to painful so I stopped at panera bread right off of the greenbay trail in wilmette to warm up for a sec. Btw, props to the panera as they let me bring my bike into the restaurant (didn't bring my lock). All in all a good ride. I'm thinking 75 miles next Sunday.

I'm up for joining a training ride next weekend as long as it's something I can be finished with by early afternoon, to allow me to make an Easter-get-together commitment.

My weekend is solid booked. How about a Friday morning ride, this coming Friday?

I forgot it's Easter weekend. My Sunday will be booked as well. So, perhaps we could do an early Friday morning lakefront ride.... I have to be at work by 9:00am, so I could swing something starting at 6am at Buckingham. Perhaps, just another ride like training ride #1.

I don't think Friday morning is practical for me (I suppose I could, but knowing myself I don't think getting myself to Buckingham at 6A is likely) but I could do Saturday morning.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service