The Chainlink

Sorry, yet another car thread.

From time to time I need use of a small pickup truck (like today would be really nice) for rehabbing and landscaping needs.

Looks like Zip-car has a pickup at Milwaukee/Western/Armitage, and I-Go at Chicago and Damen, which are roughly equidistant.

My main question-- there are very few of this type of vehicle available from either agency, and it's really the only reason I would sign up-- are the vehicles you want generally available when you need them? Or are there frequent times when everything is checked out?

Also-- Yelp has a few reviews suggesting the I-Go experience has really tanked over the last year-- have people found this?

Thanks.

(And please no obligatory mention of the trucks at Home Depot or Menard's-- you can't use them unless you currently have car insurance.)

Views: 3047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zip Car is adding cargo vans to their service:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-zipcar-adds-car...

SWEET!!!! perfect timing for me. 

Duppie said:

Zip Car is adding cargo vans to their service:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-zipcar-adds-car...

Not yet searchable by vehicle type but one shows up at Archer/Wentworth already. I'll be darned if I can find the one in the West Loop.

I think they're just rolling them in, the article stated they'll be available by memorial day, so they're probably not all on the street yet. 

No fair reading the article.

I checked with Zip Car.  they will be called ZipVans.

Just got the email notice from Zipcar about Zipvans: http://www.zipcar.com/chicago/zipvan

Locations, specs & pricing.

buy local and support i-go. 

Go local!! I-Go is local and non-profit.

You can always defect if you don't like the service. But I always give preference to the home-grown option.

PS

I have used both I-Go and Zipcar and I was happy with both.

Great sentiment. The first car-sharing concern that places a cargo vehicle (truck/van) within 2 miles of my home gets my membership for life.  I can always opt for neither if they're only interested in serving certain parts of town.

Jeff K said:

You can always defect if you don't like the service. But I always give preference to the home-grown option.

PS

Thanks, Chimpy-- may want to have a peek at page 3 of this discussion.

I'm near 24th/Rockwell.   Closest car-sharing cars I know of are at 18th/Paulina, but nothing that would be of any use to me.

Gibbles T. Chimp said:

ZipCar now has Ford E-150 cargo vans at 1136 S. Wabash, Throop and Madison, Clinton and Lake. Some others as well, but they're further away from where you live (which is somewhere southside, correct? )

h' said:

Great sentiment. The first car-sharing concern that places a cargo vehicle (truck/van) within 2 miles of my home gets my membership for life.  I can always opt for neither if they're only interested in serving certain parts of town.

Jeff K said:

PS

The Center for Neighborhood Technology is not only a nonprofit but also one of the country's most innovative and important think tanks and consulting firms for sustainability, alternative forms of transportation, housing and progressive social issues. Everytime you use an I-Go car you support this wonderful work. Case closed.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service