The Chainlink

This time last year, I had an old, but recently tuned up bike, and a few fifteen mile weekend rides under my belt.

Now, I spent an inordinate percentage of my waking life thinking about bicycling, or riding a bike.  I commuted to work this winter, with just about ten weather days off.  I see today’s sun, and can’t wait to finish my work, so that I can possibly get a two hour ride in this evening.  I wonder if I can attend the Bike Swap tomorrow, and get a big weekend ride in.  If I forgo the bike ride for the swap, will the weather allow me to do a large ride on Sunday, when the sun rises earlier.  I wonder if the Cook County Forest Preserve has plowed the Salt Creek trail.  I wonder if NotoriousDUG is as notorious as his name suggests, and if he will be at the new bike shop if I went by there at some random time, and whether the new shop will allow him to host his bike repair classes closer to my house.  I think about when the first day that I could do another S24O camping trip to Channahon might be, and if anyone wants to go with me.  I debate whether or not I want to buy a Long Haul Trucker as a speedier upgrade for my Schwinn Suburban.  I consider whether the inexpensive panniers currently on Sport.Woot are a good buy or not.  I write posts for the Chainlink instead of getting my work done, so I can take off on a bike ride…

Views: 2139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course! It is the bikes.  You and I would fly if we had speedier bikes!

Sue Clark said:

I was going to say that my LHT is not speedy, but honestly, no bike that I ride is speedy. I'm sure it's the bikes' fault.

Absolutely spend the extra cash on the Ortlieb Back Rollers........they are the real deal.

Sue,

Can you provide additional detail on the deal REI has offered in the past?

I ask before because a couple on this forum have previously recommended TheTouringStore.com as the best price available. I would like to understand my options as I will be purchasing some in the near future also. I always prefer to buy 'gently' used and hope to get lucky at the swap tomorrow.

Tim - Congrats on the new obsession. The Chainlink has had the same effect on me in the last year. I have purchased a used cross bike that I hope to use to commute occasionally (23 mi each way) and I have a project road bike in the works also. I am also in the OP area and have just joined the OP cycle club. Maybe I'll see you around town. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Sue Clark said:

The last two years at the REI memorial day sale they've had deals on Ortlieb rollers. If you've got a couple months to wait, that might be something worth waiting for.

I was going to say that my LHT is not speedy, but honestly, no bike that I ride is speedy. I'm sure it's the bikes' fault.

Honestly, I don't remember the exact price. Perhaps some google would find it but I don't really have the time right now. I thought it was around $150, but might have been less. This was for the backroller classics.

I'm itching to get back on my own bike this spring.  Heck, I might even go to Ray's Indoor MTB park on 76th St. and Dean Rd. here in Milwaukee to sharpen up my riding skills.  Hopefully, I'll be looking to do more day trips and camping trips in Southeast Wisconsin and maybe a camping trip in Northern Illinois or two now that I popped for a new tent this last year.

Omg, I totally feel this post.  How much time can I spend checking bike and component prices on CL and Amazon?  Why am I looking forward to the bike swap like it's Woodstock?  How many hours can I spend per week comparing winter performance apparel, researching the efficacy of Gore-Tex, googling the history of Primaloft, etc?

Is this a healthy obsession, or do I just not have a life?

I am a "bike junkie"...I own 6 already.

1 - Folding

1 - Fixie

1 - Commuter

2 - Mountain

1 - Hybrid

Whatever you do, don't start trolling Ebay for further price comparisons. Complete waste of time :)

Kevin Kelly said:

Omg, I totally feel this post.  How much time can I spend checking bike and component prices on CL and Amazon?  Why am I looking forward to the bike swap like it's Woodstock?  How many hours can I spend per week comparing winter performance apparel, researching the efficacy of Gore-Tex, googling the history of Primaloft, etc?

Is this a healthy obsession, or do I just not have a life?

Thanks for the heads-up OLB.

I swear, after I finish building up my current bike, I'm selling all my other bikes and my excess components and just living with the one...

I will have just one more bike. . . .

Sometimes I think about a Surly. There was one for sale on this blog a few weeks ago, at a very fair price, that must've sold quickly. I've never ridden one, but the one I saw at Johnny Sprockets on Bryn Mawr was surprisingly lightweight. A very impressive bike.

David 4.0 said:

I am a "bike junkie"...I own 6 already.

1 - Folding

1 - Fixie

1 - Commuter

2 - Mountain

1 - Hybrid

I have a couple bikes for sale, if anyone feels the need for a quick fix.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service