The Chainlink

Yikes! New York Fines Cyclist $1500 for Running Red Lights

Off the chain! City slams bicyclist with $1,500 in fines for running red lights

Sunday, August 21st 2011, 4:00 AM

Bicyclist Juan Rodriguez fought a ticket he got for running a red light on his bicycle and lost - big time.
John Roca/News
Bicyclist Juan Rodriguez fought a ticket he got for running a red light on his bicycle and lost - big time.

Manhattan bicyclist Juan (JC) Rodriguez didn't learn his lesson after running his first red light. Or his second.

But the third time may be the charm - because it came with more than $1,500 in fines.

"It's absurd," complained Rodriguez, 45, who's also a pedicab driver. "When you look at the fines leveled and the actual offenses, it makes no sense."

Some bicycling advocates agree fining two-wheelers the same as tractor-trailers is overkill, while others say bikers should stop at red lights.

"They are endangering pedestrians, many of whom are elderly or children who may not be able to get out of the way quickly," said City Councilman James Vacca (D-Bronx).

"We have too many people riding their cars and bicycles and thinking these rules are not meant for them."

Department of Motor Vehicles spokesman Nick Cantiello says cyclists are subject to the following fines for red-light violations: $190 for the first offense, $375 for the second, $940 for the third.

They don't, however, face $80 in surcharges that motorists get and there are no license points to worry about.

"Bicycles are expected to follow the rules of the road just like any other vehicle," Cantiello said.

Rodriguez says that regardless of whether it's legal, it's common practice for bikers to roll through red lights when it's safe.

He did it on March 3 as he rode down Central Park West near 109th St. on his way to work, and a traffic cop pulled him over.

"My first thought was, 'Are you serious? Is this some sort of joke?'" he said.

It wasn't. The officer also gave him a ticket for not having a bicycle bell.

Rodriguez figured it was a fluke. But six days later, an officer pulled him over for blowing a red light at Riverside Drive and W. 96th St.

"I thought, 'Oh my God! What is going on?'" Rodriguez said.

Last month, Rodriguez was stopped after he rolled through a red in Chelsea.

He pleaded not guilty to all three tickets by mail.

"I thought if I show up in court I might have a say and show how unbelievably ludicrous this is," he said.

At a hearing this month, Rodriguez contested the Riverside Drive ticket. The judge slapped him with a $375 fine.

Rodriguez returned to traffic court last week to plead guilty to the two other tickets and was fined another $1,000.

Barbara Ross of the pro-bike environmental group Time's Up! said the penalty system needs a tune up.

"Fining cyclists up to $950 for a traffic violation - the same rate as drivers of 4-ton vehicles that kill hundreds of people annually - is excessive and unfair," she said.

"Traffic enforcement policies should focus on safer streets, not use them as a revenue source for the city."

Rodriguez, who lives in Washington Heights, hopes by telling his story, other cyclists won't have to shell out a lot of green for running a red.

"Things have changed," he said. "[Bicyclists] need to be aware of what the worst-case scenario can be."

tsamuels@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/21/2011-08-21_big_fines...

Views: 1265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He did it on March 3 as he rode down Central Park West near 109th St. on his way to work, and a traffic cop pulled him over.

"My first thought was, 'Are you serious? Is this some sort of joke?'" he said.

It wasn't. The officer also gave him a ticket for not having a bicycle bell.

Rodriguez figured it was a fluke. But six days later, an officer pulled him over for blowing a red light at Riverside Drive and W. 96th St.

Ok, ok, sorry Mike.  Maybe the guy has a brain condition where he can only remember the past 5 days' events.

This part is worth repeating for its comic value:

But six days later, an officer pulled him over for blowing a red light at Riverside Drive and W. 96th St.

Would've been better if he'd started bitching about how "unfairly" he was being treated though.  Oh well, next time.

Mike Zumwalt said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Someone needs to be reminded that this guy could've been killed by one of those "4-ton vehicles that kill hundreds of people annually." 

The cherry on this stupidity sundae is that the guy is 45 years old!  45! 

What difference does it make how old he is?  we all take chances riding our bikes and could be killed STOPPED at a sign/light. I stop at lights 99% of the time, but on side streets, late nite/holiday traffic I say we need the Idaho stop rule.

I was eating a bacon sandwich washed down with Wild Turkey when I found this story, if it helps any.

Craig S. said:

I'm also remembering why I don't post to threads that do not have:

a) any mention of liquor/drinking

b) any mention bacon

That reminds me of a GREAT Saturday.

Pancakes and BACON for breakfast.

A BLT for lunch.

Some Whiskey, Beer and a BACON cheeseburger for dinner.

He was not fined 1500 dollars for running a red light; he was fined 1500 dollars for running three red lights; the man does not have the ability to learn and he should have to pay for that.

Now, I think the initial fine itself to be excessive and I am also all for bikes being able to roll the Idaho stop but in New York, and here in Chicago, that is not how the law works so unless you are willing to face the consequences you should probably, you know, stop at red lights!  If you want to change the law you are not going to do it be getting tickets and then acting like a child about it.  The guy knew it was the law, found out it was being enforced and then continued to do it two more times in site of police officers; I mean he's not even smart enough to follow the 'no cop, no stop' rule of thumb! 

You don't have a lot of traction when it comes to getting the city to listen to you when you act like this.  Nor is behavior, or articles, like this going to win many points with folks who don't ride bikes.  Stuff like this is why people hate cyclists and think of us as lawless jerks.

I run likes on side street at night too, but not when there's a cop around.  

I also speed when I'm on the highway, but not when there's a cop around.  

Its as simple at that, if you can't be bothered to notice that there's a police officer and you KNOW that they fine for running red lights, than you should stop at them, if you can't be bothered to look for cops before running a light, than you aren't looking for traffic close enough to avoid getting hit/hitting someone else. 

The first fine was a bit excessive, but once you've been fined once, pay attention and don't break the law in front of a police officer. 
Mike Zumwalt said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

Someone needs to be reminded that this guy could've been killed by one of those "4-ton vehicles that kill hundreds of people annually." 

The cherry on this stupidity sundae is that the guy is 45 years old!  45! 

What difference does it make how old he is?  we all take chances riding our bikes and could be killed STOPPED at a sign/light. I stop at lights 99% of the time, but on side streets, late nite/holiday traffic I say we need the Idaho stop rule.

Sounds like he was made an example of and fined 10x the amount for vehicles.

And I'm confused as the NYC "finance" website shows the violation for a moving vehicle running a red light on camera as being $50 so why did the cop and the court get to fine him $1500 for a $50 offense? Is it cheaper for a camera to catch you in a photo runnign a red light than paying an officer to chase you down? at 5mph.

It's the 3rd one on the list.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/park_tickets_violations.shtml

07 Vehicles photographed going through a red light at selected intersections $50

From the article, it looks like he went through the red light in front of a live cop.  So, it's a moving violation instead of the administrative violation and the fees go up with repeated violations.  The $1500 was the total for 3 tickets that went from $175 to $940 for the 3rd ticket.  Frankly, if he were a driver any other traffic violation would probably result in his license being suspended or revoked. 

Like others have said, after the first ticket, he should have been on the lookout for cops before running a red again.

Mike Zumwalt said:

Sounds like he was made an example of and fined 10x the amount for vehicles.

And I'm confused as the NYC "finance" website shows the violation for a moving vehicle running a red light on camera as being $50 so why did the cop and the court get to fine him $1500 for a $50 offense? Is it cheaper for a camera to catch you in a photo runnign a red light than paying an officer to chase you down? at 5mph.

It's the 3rd one on the list.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/park_tickets_violations.shtml

07 Vehicles photographed going through a red light at selected intersections $50

I say we typhoon him and THEN we fine him!

Steve Tanner said:

I say, fine him.  Folks like that give cyclists a bad name and if we're ever to be respected on the road, we've got to obey traffic laws just like everyone else.
While I can't defend Juan Rodriguez or anybody else blowing red lights, I wonder if the fine of $1500 isn't excessive.  Is the ridiculously high fine meant to deter running red lights or is it meant to punish him for choosing to use a bicycle.  The last I heard, bicycling on city streets was still legal, even in NYC.  What does the New York State vehicle code say about bicycles?  There should be no conflict between city ordinance and state law.  If there is, I'd think state law trumps city ordinance.

People, THEY DID NOT FINE HIM $1500 FOR RUNNING A RED LIGHT; THEY FINED HIM $1500 FOR RUNNING THREE RED LIGHTS!!!

Read the article.  The first was $190 and the next two went up in cost, as they should, because he was a repeat offender.  The TOTAL on all three tickets was $1500, this was not a single ticket. 

It is also worth noting that he paid LESS than a motorist would have because there is no surcharge on his ticket and, because no points go on his license, his insurance, if he has any, will not increase.

There is nothing unfair about any of this.  If we want to share the roads we have to follow the laws or be willing to face the consequences.

I get the feeling the article isn’t telling us the whole story here.  For 3 different police officers to have pulled over Rodriguez at different times, he must have been really blatant and dangerous about running the red lights.  

Cyclists who circle in the intersection waiting for a tiny gap to dive through are hazards.  Slowing at the intersection then going through when you see there’s no car traffic is different.  I wonder if Rodriguez flew by, not yielding before entering the intersection, and that’s what prompted the cops to take action.  

Either way the $ amount of the fines is ridiculous.  

So he breaks the same law three times in a matter of weeks, does it in front of police officers, and then wants sympathy?  Talk about a self-entitled prick.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service