The Chainlink

Yellow Motorcyclist kicked me then knocked me off my bike on clark

Hey Good peoples,

Just wanted to let ya'll know of a crazy incident I had with the rider of a yellow motorcycle on clark just south of north ave yesterday the 4th of june, about 8pm.

I was riding north and the light at schiller was a stale red for me.  I coasted up to it, no traffic and as I entered the intersection the schiller light turned yellow just as a yellow crotch rocketesque motorcycle gunned it eastbound.  I was already through the intersection before he was halfway across clark.

The driver yelled; "stupid motherf-er", I didn't say anything as I was already past and up clark a little bit. 

Next thing I know, he was gunning his motorcycle up to me and then he pulled in front and slammed on his breaks, I swerved and yelled "chill".

He gunned it next to me and kicked my left calf with his right foot.  As I wobbled, he pulled in front crossways, I slammed on my breaks and didn't hit him. I was then standing, straddling my bike about 3ft behind his motorcycle. 

I didn't say anything but pulled out my cell to try and take video. 

He jumped off his motorcycle immediately and charged me, punching me in my left shoulder.  He then slapped at my phone hand which I put in my pocket. 

He then grabbed me by my shoulders (I'm standing straddling my bike) and threw me to the ground yelling "all you mother f-ing cyclists are the same" and started kicking me as I was untangling myself from my bike. 

Luckily at this point a bunch of people started yelling and running towards us and he jumped on his motorcycle and sped off.

A woman at the corner of north and clark caught some of his license plate which was "372D" but she said there were letters above and on the left side of the plate that she didn't make out. 

I called the police and told them the whole story but I didn't know the make of the bike or an actual physical description of him as he was decked out in armored motorcycle clothing and wearing a full face helmet.

I wasn't seriously injured although my calf and back are sore today. 

I do have the contact of one witness and know where several others live.

Views: 653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy crap! Absolutely ridiculous. Even if it's SO crazy and horrible that you blew a red (like... I don't think it really is THAT BAD but whatever some people do...) I'm pretty sure BEATING PEOPLE is not anywhere near an appropriate response. 

Well I'm glad you're ok. Were there any businesses that might have security tapes around maybe?

Thanks Michelle-

Yea I know I'm a terrible person for not fully stopping at every single red light.

Unfortunately I wasn't quite to the business corner of that strip.

I just want other people to be aware of this individual.  They always say that tragic events purpetrated by individuals often have a pattern that that is traceable. I felt compelled to make note of this man in case someone else is seriously injured by him in the future.  He was seriously not right in the head.



Michelle Milham said:

Holy crap! Absolutely ridiculous. Even if it's SO crazy and horrible that you blew a red (like... I don't think it really is THAT BAD but whatever some people do...) I'm pretty sure BEATING PEOPLE is not anywhere near an appropriate response. 

Well I'm glad you're ok. Were there any businesses that might have security tapes around maybe?

That's nuts! Sorry that happened to you.

So the coast wasn't clear? Did you miss him when you checked for traffic? How did he just appear out of nowhere? 

Regardless, what a lunatic. You weren't a risk to him anyway since you were going north in the bike lane and Schiller is one way west on the east side of Clark. So he had to either go north (as he did) or south on Clark.

If it had been a car, I would have stopped completely to let it go as to avoid confusion and a tight squeeze. But unless that motorcyclist had planned on illegally driving in the bike lane, he had no reason to get upset.

While he was assaulting you, did northbound traffic pass by without helping, or did the altercation encroach on the lane? Or, did traffic come to a halt altogether and doors start to open? Just curious.

CORRECTION; LASALLE AND SCHILLER. sorry believe it or not I'm not very familiar with that stretch and had it in my head that i was on clark.

I felt it was clear when I looked, I heard his acceleration like a roar so I think he may have been further back on schiller and decided to floor it to make the light.  He accelerated incredibly quickly.

I am accepting responsibility for cutting the light.

We were almost to the mens wearhouse when he kicked me and pulled over a little into the parking lane, he threw me into the curb, northbound traffic continued to head north past us.

men's wearhouse? Whatch'u talkin bout Willis? Where is there a men's wearhouse around there?? I'm close to 100% positive there isn't, unless it's close to brand new. Not trying to cast doubt on your story, I'm just confused.

Also, why would you bike LaSalle when you have two very friendly routes, one a block west and the other a block east? LaSalle is not a good street for a bike unless it's really early or really late.

Dang, I was hoping someone in car would have helped out. The bystander effect is even stronger when you're driving, I suppose. Hopefully this guy grows up soon before he seriously hurts someone.


stevem said:

CORRECTION; LASALLE AND SCHILLER. sorry believe it or not I'm not very familiar with that stretch and had it in my head that i was on clark.

I felt it was clear when I looked, I heard his acceleration like a roar so I think he may have been further back on schiller and decided to floor it to make the light.  He accelerated incredibly quickly.

I am accepting responsibility for cutting the light.

We were almost to the mens wearhouse when he kicked me and pulled over a little into the parking lane, he threw me into the curb, northbound traffic continued to head north past us.

I referenced the mens warehouse from using the almighty google maps.

To be specific I was about 40ft south of the address; 1555n laSalle.  I think it was actually a closed storefront.  To tell you the truth I was pretty shaken up when this all happened and i couldn't tell you what frikkin storefront it was, again I just looked at google maps and realized it was lasalle and not clark.

Please don't crucify me and thanks for the route advisory.

I also believe cyclists should be able to ride the roads and not be restricted to designated or specific streets or "friendly routes". 

I'm not complaining about this interaction, I'm not lookin for sympathy or saying anything other than; be aware that there is a dangerous person who rides a yellow motorcycle with a license plate that includes "372d"

that as all, thank you and good-day.

Steve, I'm sorry this happened to you. It's especially odd considering motorcyclists tend to sympathize with bicyclists because we face a lot of the same challenges.

I doubt you'll ever find yourself in this situation again, but if you do, please remember this:

CALL OUT THE LICENSE NUMBER AS LOUD AS YOU CAN, repeatedly.  It will get it on the video, if there is one, and it will get witnesses attention, and it will have a chance of sticking in your memory because you will then be placing it in verbal, auditory, and motor memory. But most importantly it reminds the perp that they're not anonymous.

As it stands, based on the info you have provided here, there is not anything at all you can do about this particular incident, so let it go.

Thanks for sharing your story Steve. I'll keep my eye out.

I'm replaying it in my mind but with you popping a wheelie when he stops in front of you and you plowing him and his crotch rocket to the ground. You crash too but it's worth it and you walk away with no injury that a little whisky can't fix.

This is all such great advice! Thank you.

h' 1.0 said:

CALL OUT THE LICENSE NUMBER AS LOUD AS YOU CAN, repeatedly.  It will get it on the video, if there is one, and it will get witnesses attention, and it will have a chance of sticking in your memory because you will then be placing it in verbal, auditory, and motor memory. But most importantly it reminds the perp that they're not anonymous.

As it stands, based on the info you have provided here, there is not anything at all you can do about this particular incident, so let it go.

While it is nice to hope this may happen some day; I doubt it. With age generally comes wisdom, but in cases like this nutjob I doubt he will ever have either.

Really glad you are OK. It could have resulting in something horrible. Did everyone see the video of the silicon valley "executive" that got out of his car and just starting beating on some guy ??? talk about a first class hutjob...sheesh.


David McPike said:

 Hopefully this guy grows up soon before he seriously hurts someone.


RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service