The Chainlink

Seems like there is space available so I'm intrigued about signing up. The turn by turn directions make it sound like a lot of turns, no real stretches of uninterrupted road. Post ride party on Wrigley Field sounds like fun but not clear how to buy a pass for your spouse. Minimum donation proceeds go to a worthy cause. Thanks for any thoughts or reviews!

Views: 385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

bumping back to the top in hopes of any feedback...

(sheepish)

Hi Mike.  I did the ride last year, and am doing it again this year.  I am behind World Bicycle Relief 100%.  I like the way they operate and I believe that they are a good charity.  I've gone to an open house at SRAM to learn more about WBF and I like what they are doing.  The proceeds from the ride are split between World Bicycle Relief and Cubs Charities. 

The ride last year was different.  It was one-way 100 miles from Wrigely Field to Miller Park.  This year it is 50 miles out and 50 miles back - start and end at Wrigley, so it is a bit different.  I felt like the ride last year was well supported.  I frequently saw SAG vehicles.  The rest stops and lunch were good. 

The "Map My Ride" does make it look like a tun of twists and turns.  I'm hoping that WBF does put out a cue sheet that does a better job of indicating the route.  They said they would.  Last year, there were a lot of riders in support of AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) and AFC put out a user friendly cure sheet. I didn't use the cue sheet or Map My Ride last year.  The route was marked pretty well, and I just followed the signs and was fine.  It was my first 100 mile ride, and I was a little worried, but everything worked out fine.  I've barely looked at the route this year to see how it differes from last time.  The one good thing is that the wind was really bad last year, and was in our faces the whole time.  At least, doing 50 miles out and 50 back, it shouldn't be working against us the whole ride if there is wind that day. 

WBF has made announcements about buying tickets for the post-ride party for kids up to the age 16, but they haven't made any announcements about buying tickest for adult guests.  Riders who raise 1000 or more get one guest ticket.  But they haven't made any announcements for riders who have raised less than that and would like to bring an adult guest or riders who have rasied more but would like any extra ticket. 

I don't have any comparison for supported rides, but overall, I had a good experience last year. 

Thank you so much, Debra. Based on your feedback, I've registered to ride on Sunday and am very excited. I found a very detailed PDF file on the web site that gave me more insight into the organization of the ride and it sounds great. Weather forecast sounds very promising - my first century ride to Milwaukee last month was about 90 degrees and that wasn't real ideal. I also liked the fact that they are going to ride 3 groups depending on your expected ride duration (only I wasn't clear if the ride time included/excluded break-stoppage time. guessing it excludes as a 6-hour century including breaks would be very fast). Also very excited to see Poi on Wrigley Field at the post ride party. Two of my favorite things...

I am also intrigued with doing some centuries this year myself -but the prospect of having to sit through a boring baseball game pretty much ruins this ride for me.   If only there were an alternative thing to do in Milwaukee for the non-sports watcher this ride would be perfect for me.

The North Shore Century in Evanston seems more to my taste so I signed up for it earlier this week and I'd like to also do the Apple Cider Century  in Indiana but unfortunately I need to go to a memorial service that day in WI.  

There's no game to sit through this year. Last year, the ride ended in Milwaukee at a Brewers/Cubs game. This year, the ride starts and ends at Wrigley and there isn't a game. There will be a show by Poi Dog Pondering instead.

I've been curious about the Apple Cider Century, but can't make it this year.

Thanks!

I didn't know that there was no game or else I would have signed up.  Now I've made other commitments and can't do the ride anyhow.   I think probably the Evanston ride will be the only Century I'll be able to attend this year.

The Wrigley 100 might be something I will do next year if there is no game.

Debra J said:

There's no game to sit through this year. Last year, the ride ended in Milwaukee at a Brewers/Cubs game. This year, the ride starts and ends at Wrigley and there isn't a game. There will be a show by Poi Dog Pondering instead.

I'll look for you on the North Shore century, as I'm doing it this year, too. I did the Brookfield Zoo to Milwaukee Zoo ride this year, and as far as I know, Philip should be doing it again next year too. So, if you want to get out to Milwaukee on a ride, that's one option.

James BlackHeron said:

Thanks!

I didn't know that there was no game or else I would have signed up.  Now I've made other commitments and can't do the ride anyhow.   I think probably the Evanston ride will be the only Century I'll be able to attend this year.

Debra J said:

I'll look for you at the Northshore Century.  My wife is going to do the ride also but she'll be doing the 50m so I won't be riding with her.  She's not a very strong rider but I'm sure the ride is supported enough and she can find someone to hang with at her pace.

That's one thing I love about the Chicago area bicycling community.  The people are awesome.  You meet the nicest folk on these rides.  When I did the Tour de Shore I ended up meeting and riding with Andy Moss who is a super fun and all-around great guy to hang out with.  I had wanted to do the Apple Cider with him this year but unfortunately I have other commitments.    The Northshore sounds like a whole lotta fun.   I can't wait.  

Maybe there will be another 3-floyds ride as well this year.

I'll have to look into that Zoo ride for next year too. 

Jim S said:

I'll look for you on the North Shore century, as I'm doing it this year, too. I did the Brookfield Zoo to Milwaukee Zoo ride this year, and as far as I know, Philip should be doing it again next year too. So, if you want to get out to Milwaukee on a ride, that's one option.

James BlackHeron said:

Thanks!

Debra J said:

New development... if you were considering registering, paying the minimum donation, and then hoping to bring an adult guest (for a reasonable fee) with you to the post-ride party, DON'T BOTHER!!!! They are asking $500! for tickets for additional adult guests (vs. $40 for kids). This is outrageous, I suspect they are lagging their fundraising and are trying to catch up. Huge disappointment.

With that kind of money flying around, you'd think they'd be able to afford a website!

??

http://worldbicyclerelief.org/pages/wrigley-field-road-tour

h' said:

With that kind of money flying around, you'd think they'd be able to afford a website!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service