The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those Kroops goggles look like a great option and much cheaper than ski goggles.  Thanks for the heads up!

This is an old discussion so maybe no longer valid, but there is a discussion of Kroops goggles there:

http://www.thechainlink.org/group/bikewinter/forum/topics/winter-ey...

Louie Louie said:

Those Kroops goggles look like a great option and much cheaper than ski goggles.  Thanks for the heads up!

Failed experiment for me.  I ended up giving them away (may still have one buried here.)

Bad bad fogging problem, unsafe for cycling unfortunately.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

This is an old discussion so maybe no longer valid, but there is a discussion of Kroops goggles there:

http://www.thechainlink.org/group/bikewinter/forum/topics/winter-ey...

Louie Louie said:

I've been doing OK with "nekked" eyeballs. ;-)

The eyes water for the first 5 minutes or so, then settle down. I should disclose that I wear glasses anyway, but they don't cover like goggles. Still... manageable.

Steve

No problems with the Kroops for me. This is at least the second year I've used them and I ride more than a little bit pretty much every day.

I gave some to George C and he seemed to like them. I guess my eyes give off more steam than yours. They are completely fogged before I even get moving on the bike.

Anika said:

No problems with the Kroops for me. This is at least the second year I've used them and I ride more than a little bit pretty much every day.

I got these vented-with-small-holes safety goggles for $2.99 last night at my local hardware store and wore them on this morning's commute. Other than looking like a chemistry nerd, they worked OK. No more tears. Minor fogging when I stopped for lights or taking photos, but that went away while riding or quicker by lifting them outward for a few seconds when riding. I will add some anti-fog fluid to them tonight and give another test ride in tomorrow's snow.

Displaying photo.jpg

Disclaimer: By god I mean a regular person and by insects I mean other 9-5 office workers but those that commute by car :)

(Also, I think it was a little above 10 degrees this morning (12/16/13) but I memed this up last week when it was around 2 degrees on a morning commute.)

Whats the word on the road conditions N. of Diversey on Milwaukee to Lawrence?  Or Elston?  I'd like to ride but there is no clear area for bikes on Lawrence W of Milwaukee. If Milwaukee or Elston corridor is clear I'd suffer for a few miles to reach one of them.

Any input from the last 10 days would be appreciated!

I don't know if this will be helpful since we had all of that snow on Saturday, but the Amlings ride on Friday was on Elston southeast bound between Milwaukee and Irving.  Elston bike lane was not bad especially toward the travel lane. 

That does help, thanks

As of 5:30-6p 12/16 things are pretty crappy.  I rode Dearborn from Washington to Walton and then Clark to Schiller then hopped the bus.  Bike lane on Dearborn was covered but ridable; car lanes were ok until I got on Clark, which was pretty bad until North.  The car lanes on Clark were ok from North to Wrigleyville, but then got bad again.  Wilson was terrible.

Be careful out there

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service