The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David, I chose to take CTA today, but obviously we have lots of friends who 1) have biked in snow before, 2) know how to handle their bikes in snow, and 3) are comfortable riding when it snows.  Yes, the snow probably increases the "crazy driver" risk, but it also increases the risk for me as I walk.  The only choice is to stay home?  Nah!  Not our job to tell people not to ride their bikes.  Only our job to make the decision for ourselves.

David crZven 10.6 said:

CTA, Walk or don't go.   A broken leg, or hip or bicycle or worse is not worth one day of riding in rather rotten conditions.  I wouldn't drive either today.  

h' 1.0 said:

I agree that drivers are set to an idiocy setting of 11 today, but "stay off the street with a bike?"

That's how we get to the places we need to go, David.

I must have not run into in of the A-holes today.

I had a very pleasant (slow) ride. I took the lane for a few miles to ride in the tire tracks down Lincoln, got over in the 'clean' snow when there was a chance. My highest speed today was 12mph. Not a single person honked, yelled, etc at me. I had a one buzz to me, but that is an everyday thing no matter the weather. 

I will ride home, with the same mindset I have everyday "Smart, Safe, Predictable movements." Plus I look super awesome in my Hi-Viz vest & riding CTA wearing that I would look ridiculous! To each his/her, own!

I biked to work, mostly on Fullerton and Milwaukee, and it was no big deal. Slushy, but not a problem while rolling; rather be doing that than walking in it. I appreciate the wishes for safety, but I think it's better for all of us in this city who have to negotiate our way around each other that cyclists remain visible even when the weather is grumpy.

I just love how these threads unravel...

If you want to ride in a blizzard, great!  If you refuse to ride in the rain, who cares!

Ride 15 miles/day or 15 miles/year - that's fine!  We all have our own bikes, routes, experiences, etc.

This whole conversation is borderline retarded.

First off there is the fact that if you are going to stay off a bike today because of all the things that *could* happen you should also probably not leave your house ever because of all the things that *could* happen if you do so; in fact you may want to have the gas service disconnected because I heard that sometimes that stuff blows up...

Not to mention that your alternatives are not all that great; CTA costs money I do not want to spend and is not a good option to get where I need to be today.  It's to far to walk and I need to carry more than is easy when on foot.  I made a commitment to be there and need to fulfill that commitment so bike it is.

Now, I am the last person to give somebody guff over choosing not to ride.  We all have our own personal limits and that's fine.  However, telling people not to ride because of what *could* happen and exagerate the dangers is pretty much exactly the opposite of advocating cycling.

David crZven 10.6 said:

CTA, Walk or don't go.   A broken leg, or hip or bicycle or worse is not worth one day of riding in rather rotten conditions.  I wouldn't drive either today.  

h' 1.0 said:

I agree that drivers are set to an idiocy setting of 11 today, but "stay off the street with a bike?"

Basically, do whatever the hell you want and don't lecture others for not doing the same.

My ride into work today was very pleasant. It was nice to finally see some snow on the ground.

first ride in the snow for me. It was slow but nice.

But the lecturing is the fun part.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Basically, do whatever the hell you want and don't lecture others for not doing the same.

notoriousDUG said:

First off there is the fact that if you are going to stay off a bike today because of all the things that *could* happen you should also probably not leave your house ever because of all the things that *could* happen if you do so; in fact you may want to have the gas service disconnected because I heard that sometimes that stuff blows up...
My Comment:
That's a bogus reply.    The  fact is that, with the idiots on the road today, the chances of a serious accident are far far higher than normal.   You can pretend that it isn't the case, but that doesn't make it so. The fact is that today, at least this morning, the traction on the road was bad.  Many cars and drivers have serious problems with traction -- even if a particularly bicyclist does not.   Cars were sliding through stopsigns and into intersections.   Pretending that this isn't the case doesn't make it so.

Not to mention that your alternatives are not all that great; CTA costs money I do not want to spend and is not a good option to get where I need to be today.  It's to far to walk and I need to carry more than is easy when on foot.  I made a commitment to be there and need to fulfill that commitment so bike it is.

My Comment:   You are free to make that commitment.  And when a lave flow is heading in your direction from a major volcanic eruption, you can choose to ignore that as well.    

Now, I am the last person to give somebody guff over choosing not to ride.  We all have our own personal limits and that's fine.  However, telling people not to ride because of what *could* happen and exagerate the dangers is pretty much exactly the opposite of advocating cycling.

My Comment:  Bullshit.   The worst thing that cycling advocates can do is advocate riding in highly dangerous conditions and getting a number of people killed or badly hurt.   All this does is reinforce the perceptions that cycling, as a whole, is dangerous.  Sensible people know when to come in out of the rain.  Turkey's look up and drown.  Were my comments emphatic?  You bet.  This morning was very very dangerous even for pedestrians.  On the one mile work by 4 lights, I saw multiple cars skid though intersections on red lights.   Out of control skids.   

David crZven 10.6 said:

h' 1.0 said:

Respectfully, but urgently, that's a very Republican approach to things.  When you see people engaging in unsafe acts that put all of us at risk, you should tell them to stop.  Yet you are taking the opposite tack and suggesting that people should do what they want?   So we should stop:

Telling car drivers not to open car doors into oncoming bicycles?   After all they are doing what in the hell they want and if we tell them not to, we are lecturing them for not doing the same thing.

Crowding Bicycles off the road?  After all they are doing what in the hell they want and if we tell them not to, we are lecturing them for not doing the same thing.

Turning in front of bicycles without looking?  After all they are doing what in the hell they want and if we tell them not to, we are lecturing them for not doing the same thing.

What is being done is pointing out the stupidity of certain behavior.  

But this should be expected as the Bicycle community is full of unique individuals who like to defy convention and engage in dumb behavior -- riding at night dressed in black without a helmet or lights, riding through stoplights, riding through stop signs without pausing, supporting Critical Mass and its anti-bicycle adgenda.

Go ride.  Someone will scrape you off the pavement in the next five years.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service