The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My bicycle hates water.

Strange weather--here in Wicker Park there was ice on the cars but none on the sidewalks or streets.  Glad I stayed in the neighborhood!

Just in from ride from Westtown...

4 hours ago I would have agreed but it's been snowing little ice crystals and I'd definitely advise caution on some of the streets, especially those that don't get salted and in/near intersections.

Every surface that's not asphalt or grooved concrete has at least a thin coating of ice though.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Streets are fine today, but metal bridges are death traps.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Strange weather--here in Wicker Park there was ice on the cars but none on the sidewalks or streets.  Glad I stayed in the neighborhood!

Many of the cars on our street had a think layer of ice on them this morning.  The street looked ok.  I didn't kill myself walking out the door to get the newspaper.  So, we took a short (about 7 miles round trip) ride to breakfast with the newspapers packed in the panniers.  It was not slippery at all. My greatest fear was later when I rode to the store and saw a lady engaged in a conversation.  She  make a left turn on to a large suburban street with little more than a glance at what was around.  I just sat back and watched in amazement as she annoyed the other drivers when she entered the thoroughfare. 

Troops were a little thin this morning!  Dearborn bridge was still icy, but, thanks to reports, I knew it.  Did not walk, but road veerrryyy slowly.

It's officially time to break out the crazy Artic Gloves I got last year.  My long sleeve gloves + smart wool liners didn't cut it this morning!

I today broke out the Bar Mitts and the Lake winter boots.  Made for a nice comfy ride.  Getting soft after all these warm winter days.

it wasnt to bed going east, i am sure the ride home (west) will be fun it the wind keeps up.

My heat wasn't working well at home, so this morning I woke up cold and lazy to ride, so I cabbed it to work today.

Smartwool liners + lobster claws = toasty warm hands!  Also loving the snowboarding pants I picked up at the REI fall sale.

Did some errands this morning and it was so nice to have the sun "on"! I got warm quick. Streets were great except the corner iced-over puddles. Riding downtown later will be the real test!

I rode this morning, it was beautiful. I ride everyday that I can, it makes me very happy.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service