The Chainlink

On my way home from work, pedaling north on Clark at Berteau I spotted a Red Fox! He (or she) trotted across Clark from Berteau and was, I'm assuming, about to head back into Graceland cemetery when I startled it by hollering "FOXY!" and it darted back across Clark, crossed to the north side of Berteau and peered 'round the corner of the building at me as I rode past.
If I read fox body language correctly it was saying "Gawd, what a dick. You scared the shit out of me." ;)

This was a full grown, healthy looking specimen. Looking well fed from foraging in the city. Neato.

This was around 12:45 - 1:00 am.

Views: 1121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually have a raccoon and opossum invasion around this time of year. It's probably the back yard set up, it attracts alot of different birds too.
North Branch Trail (heading out of the city) has, geese, ducks, deer, heron, woodpeckers, the usual squirrels and chimpmonks, and some strange Red Rooster hanging around the parking lot at Milwaukee and Devon. There was a small snake sunning on the trail earlier this week (was gone on my way back).
Just about twilight in the evening, the bats come out.
My cat (Benny) brings home the rabbits, mice, birds (a crow once) and a snake too. A tacoon once ripped a hole in my roof and lived there for a day. Being nocturnal, it went on patrol at dusk. I patched the roof immediatly.
I haven't seen a fox in a while. Cool city siting for sure!

I did just about run over a rat the other night...it was darting in and out between parked cars. And of course there are raccoons and possums in the evenings. But mostly, up in Rogers Park where I live we are seeing lots and lots of skunks! And we seem to smell skunk most every day when riding on Jarvis west of Western.
I saw my first (well first LIVE) skunk up close and personal last night riding down a Rogers Park alley. Sounds like RP is the place to be for wildlife.

Last night, I saw my first coyote in the city. He was moseying down the center of Clark St @ Ainslie, making his way to St. Boniface Cemetery. He almost walked into me, but then thought the better of it. That was a little after 8pm. Neat!

I saw Coyotes? in Lincoln Park by the Zoo as well as a Fox along the rocks by the lake and around Loyola.

Here's a baby red tailed hawk I saw in my alley last summer.  They live in the trees along the river and I sometimes see them hunting in the empty lot behind my house.

And...I used to see this Redd Fox in my living room frequently in the 70's....

Wow.  Nice.  

That looks like what my dad always calls peregrine falcons.  Are they the same thing?    

They are different.  A full grown red tailed hawk is huge compared to peregrine falcon.  The one I took the pic of is young and about the size of an adult peregrine falcon.  If you look closely there is some white banding on the bird's tail.  They lose that when they become adult.  Sorry, It's a bad pic, I took it on my cell phone.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service