The Chainlink

According to Wikipedia, the Chicago metropolitan area has over 9.5 million people.
So when I opened my most recent issue of the RUSA publication "American Randonneur" I saw that whereas there were 212 new RUSA members, only 5 of these were from Illinois (Rockton, Palatine, Moline, Chicago, Wilmette). There were also 2 from IN and 8 from WI.
These numbers seem small considering the size of the population base here.
I don't think the brevets here are any harder than those in most other parts of the US.
I have often wondered why randonneuring is so much more popular in other parts of the country. What do others think?

Views: 723

Replies to This Discussion

Are there any more details on the 8/8 100K and 200K from the veterans? These are still listed as TBA on www.glrrando.org. I'm interested in the 100K since I don't yet have a century under my belt (until September, at least) and it also seems like a good trial run for a first unsupported, longer ride. As much as I'd love to jump in, a baby step would be nice in anticipation of more ambitious goals next season.
I went up to MN last weekend and rode a 300K with a couple of other guys (Doug McLerran, Tom Casson) from Naperville. It was a very hilly 300K that started in Apple Valley (south suburb of MN).
MN now has two full series, one set starts in Apple Valley, the other in Rochester.
The most recent RUSA newsletter listed 85 new members, 8 from MN (3 from IL). Randonneuring seems to be getting more popular up there, there is a bike shop in the area (Hiawatha Cycles) that caters (not exclusively) to randon style (e.g. dynohubs).
The drive (and WI traffic, especially at the border) is too much though to plan on going up there on a regular basis. It was very pretty though, good roads, low traffic, and some nice hills (some over 2 miles long).

Eric Peterson
Attachments:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service