The Chainlink

...."Why isn't daley sucking up to Schwinn to build a factory, do we need more stores to sell cheap crap?"

OK I was on another discussion and I'm wondering...

Is any one else bothered by the big deal made about wallmart coming to Chicago, when what we really need is GOOD long term jobs here....

Why isn't daley trying to bring back at least SOME manufacturing here? I mean with so many people unemployed the cost of labour MUST be down, I know Schwinn is nothing more than a name BUT there must be some companies that would be willing to try, also since the price of land is down....How about SRAM? they are headquartered here.

So are we just a bunch of blind sheep that want our kids to play with lead painted toys from China because they are a buck? Or is anyone willing to pay more to have a non lead painted toy?

Isn't there a big drywall company with offices here in Chicago ? Why did China drywall show up in the south east with mystery stuff in it that MAY be toxic ?

I just think it's time for a real change

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy cow-- never would have heard about this-- thanks!!!
(my stomping grounds . . .)

milesperhour said:
The new movie studio being constructed by 16th and Western at the Ryerson Steel property is a great example of re-purposing old manufacturing plants and adding jobs. It will be the 2nd largest movie studio in the U.S. If the estimates in the article are correct, it's expected to create 6,000 jobs and the city benefits 2.5 times from all movie related expenditures. The article is from late last year, so if on track, construction should be complete in February.
http://www.ifpchicago.org/chicago-gets-80-million-studio-complex/
I heard about it when it initially happened, but when I looked it up just now I couldn't find any new news articles. It makes me wonder if the deals went through. I own some property around there and watch desperately for any economic development. *crosses fingers*
Let me know if you need anything eyeballed from time to time-- I pass through there very frequently. Not sure how I feel about it though-- I guess Ryerson can't hang on forever under current circumstances but I hate to see manufacturing leave in favor of more "service" jobs.
I wonder if the filming of an "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" at 16th and Washtenaw a few years ago piqued the initial interest in the location?
Why are you opposed to service jobs? I think service jobs in that area would be great. It will also create a lot of union positions. I was surprised at the concessions they made to make Chicago one of the more "affordable" cities for filming. Chicago is notorious for high fees unions charges.
Apparently it is already in use. A lot of the prep work for the Transformers 3 shoot was done at the Ryerson plant.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0608734/news

H3N3 said:
Let me know if you need anything eyeballed from time to time-- I pass through there very frequently. Not sure how I feel about it though-- I guess Ryerson can't hang on forever under current circumstances but I hate to see manufacturing leave in favor of more "service" jobs.
I wonder if the filming of an "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" at 16th and Washtenaw a few years ago piqued the initial interest in the location?
good to hear!
milesperhour said:
Why are you opposed to service jobs? I think service jobs in that area would be great. It will also create a lot of union positions. I was surprised at the concessions they made to make Chicago one of the more "affordable" cities for filming. Chicago is notorious for high fees unions charges.
I'm probably not the best person to respond to this, but I'll say that my own personal reasons include:
1) Ryerson is here and in business now-- why would we want a movie studio instead of it, rather than in addition to it? Or is the closing of Ryerson already set in stone regardless?
2) having to ship manufactured goods from remote locations comes with an environmental cost that's not sustainable
3) In order to have urban environments that are dense and easy to get around in we need as many jobs as possible where the most possible people can reach them easily; losing manufacturing jobs from urban areas to rural industrial parks (and of course overseas) keeps us locked into the cycle of needing to be surrounded by asphalt and concrete, and locked into motor vehicle dependency/dominance as long as there's fuel to sustain it (hey, you asked . . .)
Ryerson closing that facility is set in stone and has been for some time.

Ryerson is less a manufacture and more a provider of raw material and there is simply not enough demand in the area.
Thanks, I probably knew that at some point that hey were supposed to close. . . "Our" Ryerson plant takes steel in bulk that's been produced elsewhere and processes it down into finished orders for end-users . . . I think that still clearly qualifies as "light" manufacturing, at least?

Anyways, here's kind of an odd bit of info-- manufacturing jobs in U.S. supposedly hard to fill because of a shortage of "skilled" workers:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/11/eveningnews/main6764731.s...

notoriousDUG said:
Ryerson closing that facility is set in stone and has been for some time.

Ryerson is less a manufacture and more a provider of raw material and there is simply not enough demand in the area.
Yeah I said I didn't understand ALL the issues involved with this....I have worked in large scale plants, althought 20+ years ago, I find your #'s a bit exagerated....My last manufacturing job was for a company that did custom machining and built machines for other companies...MORE of the people there where skilled than unskilled, and the unskilled people still got paid more (after a little bit of time on the job) than most retail positions.

Yeah I know it's not true in every place.

notoriousDUG said:
against my better judgment (I'm bored and out of town in a hotel...) I'm reading this thread and wonder if you have any familiarity with the type of job a large scale manufacturing plant provides.

Most of the jobs in a factory are low paying unskilled labor centered on repetitive tasks or material handling with a small minority of trades people maintaining the plant. Actual ratio varies depending on the specific process and facility but I have seen places that have 2-3 skilled trades people supporting 50-75 unskilled laborers who make next to nothing.

Rick norris said:
Why not try to attract manufacturing (generally good paying trade jobs)
That is not my experience.

I work for a large company that still makes all the stuff they sell in this country. Our starting pay for labor is upwards of 15$/hour + good benefits, depending on region. Try to get that in retail.

And no, we are not a union shop

notoriousDUG said:
against my better judgment (I'm bored and out of town in a hotel...) I'm reading this thread and wonder if you have any familiarity with the type of job a large scale manufacturing plant provides.
Most of the jobs in a factory are low paying unskilled labor centered on repetitive tasks or material handling with a small minority of trades people maintaining the plant. Actual ratio varies depending on the specific process and facility but I have seen places that have 2-3 skilled trades people supporting 50-75 unskilled laborers who make next to nothing. Rick norris said:
Why not try to attract manufacturing (generally good paying trade jobs)
Thats just a great answer....maybe we should kill off all the less educated people in this country....or let them just suck up welfare?

School isn't for everyone and we need a diverse economic base.

I'm sure any idiot can program CNC machines, or manually operate lath and mills and such to make the tooling that made the bike, and other things.

To say factory work is ALL unskilled is just wrong....manufacturing ( I think...but then again I aint got no learning past the 12th grade) needs and employs accountants, lawers, managers, IT people, along with skilled, and unskilled workers.

Vando said:
This is brilliant insight! Why didn't anyone think of this sooner...

ERCHLVRSN said:
Better suggestion go to college, get a career not just a job...none of the jobs you mention have any long term benefit other than cheap employment to unskilled people, we have to many of these types already, along with a large immigration problem…all you’re doing is making coming here legally more attractive to the unskilled who have little if anything at all to offer this country...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service