It seems like someone is always starts this conversation with me. I always say that driving is more dangerous. I hate driving. There are a lot of reckless drivers out there and most of the time cyclists get hurt because of reckless drivers. Drunk driving, and all that as well. I don't know that's just my opinion but someone always tries to tell me that cycling is more dangerous. I guess it can go both ways though.

Views: 1347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another thread that's goIng to blow up. Let me get popcorn

+1000 Will & John.

I'm throwing my 2 cents on: motorcycling.  All of the lack of roll-cage, crumple zones and seatbelts, like a bicycle, coupled with the potential for excessive speed like a car.  If you fly over the handlebars doing 90 mph, you're in for a world of hurt.

I would say the one where you are not wrapped in a cage and surrounded by things that outweigh you by a ton is the more dangerous one...

Dangerous to WHOM?

I think there is to many variable that need to be answered first in order to answer this question.

the driver is safer in the car vs a the person riding the bike.

the outside world is safer with cyclists vs drivers, i've never heard of a person being crushed by a bike, or a bike going through a restaurant's front door while occupied

Dangerous to society

James BlackHeron said:

Dangerous to WHOM?

+1

Cars and their drivers are a danger to everyone around them -while they are relatively safely ensconced within their steel cocoons padded with high-tech airbags and restraint systems designed to insulate them from their mistakes and the carnage they produce outside. 

Samuel Diaz said:

Dangerous to society

James BlackHeron said:

Dangerous to WHOM?

Out in the far suburbs I would say biking is more dangerous. Cars do not know how to handle bike riders and frequently speed past me. Back in the day when I use to drink & drive I would say that driving was much more dangerous than biking under the influence. A couple of DUI's and a car accident has taught me that.

Out near me they go into the other lane to pass.

El Dorado said:

Out in the far suburbs I would say biking is more dangerous. Cars do not know how to handle bike riders and frequently speed past me. Back in the day when I use to drink & drive I would say that driving was much more dangerous than biking under the influence. A couple of DUI's and a car accident has taught me that.

I was on the Milwaukee bus a few days ago. This biker and the bus driver were arguing on the topic. The bus driver went on a rant on how bikers just make drivers nervous and cause problems. He went on to say they cause most of car accidents. I couldn't help but laugh. It came to a point where the bus driver wanted to kick the guy off the bus and not let him get his bike off the rack. 

lol.  Bus drivers are dangerous drivers.  At least many of the drivers I encounter, whether in my car or on my bike.

However, as someone mentioned earlier this question has far too many variables.  Those change day to day.  IMO driving(the act of, not the driver) is safer for a few reasons.  You are, in many ways, restricted while driving a car.  Only can operate on the street(lest you have a Jeep), typically you follow traffic signals and somewhat follow the speed limit.  You have more respect for other travelers, again typically.  When driving, I believe you take into account the damage to your vehicle and the trouble of an accident, so are more cautious.

I imagine cyclists feel cars are not as safe because vehicles don't respect cyclists as they do other vehicles.  You do not represent the smashed bumper and fender.  They also probably hate bikers like myself that pass them at every light they sit at.

Again, too many variables to analyze which is truly safer.  Here in Chicago? I go with driving.  Portland?  Probably cycling as it is one of the most bike friendly cities in the world.  But, then again, the more people you add to an activity, the chance of injury rises.

Samuel Diaz said:

I was on the Milwaukee bus a few days ago. This biker and the bus driver were arguing on the topic. The bus driver went on a rant on how bikers just make drivers nervous and cause problems. He went on to say they cause most of car accidents. I couldn't help but laugh. It came to a point where the bus driver wanted to kick the guy off the bus and not let him get his bike off the rack. 

I've been wanting to check out portland. I'd like to bike through that city someday.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service