The Chainlink

I rode to work this morning and it seems like I'll have a damp ride home.  I heard there was a chance of rain this afternoon, but I decided to risk it. So my question to you: What % chance of rain keeps you off your bike?  And who do you trust for weather predictions?

Views: 1592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brilliant! A tire! color me inspired!

How do you attach the panniers with the milk crate up there? or rather, detach them? Or do you just leave the pannier(s) mounted all the time?

MagMileMarauder said:

I have racks front and back which act as pseudo-fenders, both with milk crates and panniers (shopping cart with pedals, basically) On the rear one,  there's a slight overhang between wheel and crate which can cause trouble on the wettest of days.

To solve that problem, in McGyver-like fashion, I measured the overhang and cut a section of old tire, stretched out the edges,  cut holes on the corners of the tire section and with zip-ties mounted it to base the crate. No skunk stripes ever! (I don't get much splashing for the uncovered part of the tires either).

Same here sorta... I cut a bill from a baseball cap and attached it to the inside of my helmet with a zip tie. (which eventually broke and is currently replaced with a twist tie). Sunlight bothers me more than rain, so having a permabill works out fine.  I mean, yeah it looks pretty dorky but I don't care about that.

Bill Savage said:

As for the rain in the face question, when it's raining I put a baseball cap under my helmet.  The large bill keeps my glasses dry enough unless I'm riding straight into heavy winds w/the rain.  And yes, better a dry dork than a soaked to the skin fashionista.  Though I will say that in very warm weather, I'll take getting all wet.  Just slow down, keep the lights on, and enjoy the weather.

Yep! Panniers are always on. But if I wanted to remove them, the crate is only held down by 4 strong zip ties (not dollar store ones) that are mounted to each corner of the the rack. It also adds a little "security" for the panniers if you leave your bike locked.

Tony Adams said:

How do you attach the panniers with the milk crate up there? or rather, detach them? Or do you just leave the pannier(s) mounted all the time?

MagMileMarauder said:

I have racks front and back which act as pseudo-fenders, both with milk crates and panniers (shopping cart with pedals, basically) On the rear one,  there's a slight overhang between wheel and crate which can cause trouble on the wettest of days.

To solve that problem, in McGyver-like fashion, I measured the overhang and cut a section of old tire, stretched out the edges,  cut holes on the corners of the tire section and with zip-ties mounted it to base the crate. No skunk stripes ever! (I don't get much splashing for the uncovered part of the tires either).

Some racks also have a second rail below the platform.  I just got Topeak Super Tourist so I can  mount a basket on top and still be able to take off my panniers.  Haven't picked up a basket/crate yet to test how well that really works.

MagMileMarauder said:

Yep! Panniers are always on. But if I wanted to remove them, the crate is only held down by 4 strong zip ties (not dollar store ones) that are mounted to each corner of the the rack. It also adds a little "security" for the panniers if you leave your bike locked.

Tony Adams said:

MagMileMarauder said:

For the rain in the face I am going to have to either put a baseball cap under the helmet or get a helmet with a bill.  I do not in the least care how I look so long as I am comfortable.  And although I know there are certain rain circumstances where it won't matter what I have on my head, if I can avoid getting rain in my face I will.  I hate rain in my face! ;-)

Rain is your face feels awesome compared to sleet (or that tiny very frozen snow) in your eyes after forgetting to pack your ski goggles :)

Not having had the opportunity to try it, I will take your word for it and, frankly, try to skip it! ;-)  So there is a question:  What % chance of sleet keeps you off your bike?  I am thinking 50%.

MagMileMarauder said:

Rain is your face feels awesome compared to sleet (or that tiny very frozen snow) in your eyes after forgetting to pack your ski goggles :)

100% chances of sleet will not prevent me from riding. Ski goggles and mask take care of any facial and eye discomforts.

Blizzard conditions, like the one two winters ago, is where I will draw the line! (That's from experience:).

If you ride every day, it's easier to adapt to the rougher conditions that your body endures, and will see it as a challenge.

Lisa Curcio said:

Not having had the opportunity to try it, I will take your word for it and, frankly, try to skip it! ;-)  So there is a question:  What % chance of sleet keeps you off your bike?  I am thinking 50%.

MagMileMarauder said:

Good point.  If someone had told me last April that I would be riding my bike every day and in extreme heat and rain, I would have told him that he was nuts!  Here I am, and have missed only two days since the end of May!

MagMileMarauder said:

If you ride every day, it's easier to adapt to the rougher conditions that your body endures, and will see it as a challenge.

I made some chaps once--took a razor blade to some rain pants that were just too warm.  There's no such thing as bad weather, I always say, just the wrong shoes.

adam...

be the rain

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service