The Chainlink

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's being "worked on." No need to organize a protest just yet.

John Donahue said:
A Frame Capture f/ Chicagoist:

Chicago Park District Shuts Down Book Bike

The Chicago Park District says the Book Bike cannot operate without a permit.The future of the Book Bike is not looking good. A Chicago Park District official approached Gabriel Levinson and his custom-built bike full of free books this weekend and asked him to leave. Due to the Chicago Park District’s rules and regulations requiring permits, he’s not welcome to hand out books for free in the city’s parks. After calling Chicago Park District, we were told that since Levinson is giving away material, he must apply for a Special Event Promotion permit. Aside from the $1,155 hourly fee, this specific permit would require that Levinson submit a separate application a couple months in advance for each date and location he intends to set up the Book Bike. And since he doesn’t have non-profit 501(c)(3) status, he’s not eligible for any discounts.
For the past two years, Levinson has been handing out books in the name of literacy to anyone who will take them. “Free” has always been his mantra. Levinson doesn’t think anyone should have to pay to have access to books, so he not only gives away free reading material, but also only does so in free public spaces. As the Book Bike has gained some momentum and press, Levinson has been invited to various events around the city, but unless they’re free, he politely declines. So most of the time, you’ll find him in the free Chicago parks. This Saturday, he was at Wicker Park, doing what he always does: unfolds the bike and displays the books, kicks back with a book of his own, and encourages anyone who asks what he’s doing to take home as many as they’d like.

After receiving so much encouragement for promoting literacy in a fun, non-confrontational way, Levinson was as surprised as anyone to be told to pack up. “I’ve been touting public parks as the last safe haven of the people,” he said. “It’s one place where anyone and everyone has a right to be: doesn’t matter how much money you have, doesn’t matter if you are homeless.”

We do agree that permits do have a place in helping maintain what we expect from an experience in the city’s parks. But in our eyes, all promotional events are not created equal. Levinson is not promoting a brand, product or politician. He’s promoting literacy. The price tag on this specific permit seems hefty for a guy handing out free books in his free time.

By Betsy Mikel in Arts & Events on July 6, 2010 3:20 PM
Based upon a quick google search of the "special event permit" for events that are classified as "promotion," Book Bike guy would have to pay $1,155 per hour rental fee to be allowed to operate the Book Bike. This is on top of a $35 application fee and a $2000 security deposit.

I'm sure he wouldn't have any trouble getting a permit provided he had the ability to come up with that kind of money. Which would seem nigh impossible for someone whose whole noble operation consists of giving things away.

Man the CPD is stupid.
Sounds like every branch of the Chicago Public Library owes the city hundreds of thousands of dollars. They are promoting reading as well, and I don't think they've paid for their permits.

Jin Kim said:
Based upon a quick google search of the "special event permit" for events that are classified as "promotion," Book Bike guy would have to pay $1,155 per hour rental fee to be allowed to operate the Book Bike. This is on top of a $35 application fee and a $2000 security deposit.
I'm sure he wouldn't have any trouble getting a permit provided he had the ability to come up with that kind of money. Which would seem nigh impossible for someone whose whole noble operation consists of giving things away.
Man the CPD is stupid.
I don't think the special event permit is applicable to what the bookbike guy does.

Sometimes all you need to do is present the facts to people and give them a chance to make a "smart" decision.

Jin Kim said:

Man the CPD is stupid.
Except that "lose" is a bad solution.

cutifly said:
They are stupid, so let's get a good attorney and we can have a fundraiser and take care of it. Win or Lose that is the solution.
Marty, there are 2+ very competent attorneys offering their services pro-bono in this thread, who have already swung into action. There are plenty of threads that fall into the "unproductive ranting" category but this is not one of them.

cutifly said:
The law is the law, right or wrong. You get someone who knows it, you pay them and the justice either sides with you or they don't. If you don't like that outcome, you appeal. If that does not work you either take it or do something else to change the law, which can be complicated of course, but that will resolve this. I believe in this guy and what he does and will cough up some money if someone can organize a fundraiser. I can guarantee $40, maybe more if I have a recent payout and I don't even know him, never seen him or heard about him until Doug posted this. No one ever comes to my parties so I will just pay up and let the social person deal with the fundraiser. That's all I can guarantee and I always come through when I say something. So we can rant all we want but that will not do much other than to entertain us on this site. The only attorney I know is Jerry Boyle and I do not even know if he deals with this type of stuff. Chris Drew is fighting a court battle as well and may be able to refer someone. If someone can get me a phone # for the book guy, I can call him and see how he feels about all this. If someone wants to contact me, send me a note. I help out people often especially when it comes to my time, so here we are. I spend at least 2 hours a week talking crap here and on Facebook, I can dedicate that time elsewhere without it affecting me. Word
Please don't misquote me or paraphrase me out of context. I did not infer or say 'Unproductive' It makes us all look really bad. I just will guarantee what I said and stay out of this. I Do need anyone agree with me in life anymore.

H3N3 said:
Marty, there are 2+ very competent attorneys offering their services pro-bono in this thread, who have already swung into action. There are plenty of threads that fall into the "unproductive ranting" category but this is not one of them.
cutifly said:
The law is the law, right or wrong. You get someone who knows it, you pay them and the justice either sides with you or they don't. If you don't like that outcome, you appeal. If that does not work you either take it or do something else to change the law, which can be complicated of course, but that will resolve this. I believe in this guy and what he does and will cough up some money if someone can organize a fundraiser. I can guarantee $40, maybe more if I have a recent payout and I don't even know him, never seen him or heard about him until Doug posted this. No one ever comes to my parties so I will just pay up and let the social person deal with the fundraiser. That's all I can guarantee and I always come through when I say something. So we can rant all we want but that will not do much other than to entertain us on this site. The only attorney I know is Jerry Boyle and I do not even know if he deals with this type of stuff. Chris Drew is fighting a court battle as well and may be able to refer someone. If someone can get me a phone # for the book guy, I can call him and see how he feels about all this. If someone wants to contact me, send me a note. I help out people often especially when it comes to my time, so here we are. I spend at least 2 hours a week talking crap here and on Facebook, I can dedicate that time elsewhere without it affecting me. Word
You wrote:
So we can rant all we want but that will not do much other than to entertain us on this site
And went on to speculate about whether we know any lawyers, and mention a fundraiser, presumably to raise money for a legal defense . . . your meaning was clear and my inference was on the money. Wasn't necessarily to be taken as a criticism, since you seem to choose to avoid connecting with the people who post here and wouldn't know from the context of this thread who's a lawyer. But mostly I assumed that you hadn't really followed the discussion before declaring it "ranting."

cutifly said:
Please don't misquote me or paraphrase me out of context. I did not infer or say 'Unproductive' It makes us all look really bad. I just will guarantee what I said and stay out of this. I Do need anyone agree with me in life anymore.
H3N3 said:
cutifly said:
Did you even read the post above yours regarding the cost of the permit? Does not really sound feasible.

The Book Bike has only accepted monetary donations for some time now.

Clark said:
notoriousDUG said:
...I call BS that you donate to a cause which not long ago you criticized...

I didn't criticize the BookBike; I just expressed my appreciation for the CPD guy who attempted to assert some control of park activities by enforcing permit regulations. Because compared with parks in other big cities, I think activities in Chicago's parks are still pretty safe, well-behaved, and enjoyable for all. I think the BookBike would fit right in...and wouldn't have any problem getting a permit.

And despite your BS call, I DID write to Gabriel, offering him his choice of the thousands of books i have. His response, in part, was:

....I'm much obliged for the book donations offer, but I'll have to decline. Not
because I don't want books, but because the focus has changed to supporting
Chicago independent booksellers through this project. So official word for
The Book Bike is only financial donations [and]....just fresh books for the people from here on out...
Marty,

Why is it you have to turn everything you touch into a personal crusade to make it as huge a mess as possible and obscure the possibility of any real progress with the completely futile arguments your disjointed and meandering posts. I'm not sure if you have a sense of humor nobody gets or what but you are not part of the the solution.

Any solution.
Wait. "Regardless, according to this unidentified Chicago Park District official, I am not allowed to give books away for free without a permit."

Does anyone know if he has contacted the Park District directly? Some random unidentified person claiming to work for the Park Security does not constitute a binding order. If he didn't identify himself then Gabe has no way of confirming his authority on the matter. If the police haven't arrested him there is clearly no statute which makes what he is doing illegal. He should immediately call the park district and setup an appointment with someone.

Department of Park Services - Permits Division: (312) 742 -5369
Chicago Park District Security (312) 747-2193

Also depending how it goes WE, as in every member of the Chainlink, may want to consider calling these numbers in mass letting them know what we think.
Clark, there is no reason to assume...
"I didn't criticize the BookBike; I just expressed my appreciation for the CPD guy who attempted to assert some control of park activities by enforcing permit regulations. ""

You clearly didn't read the initial description of the individual. If it was CPD we wouldn't really be having this conversation because we would know that there is a specific statute that Gabe is in violation of. Like most conversations on the internet we are fueled with ignorance. We should all call the numbers above and find out directly what the deal is. And then report back what we found instead of endless useless conversation over details we know nothing of.

Clark said:
notoriousDUG said:
...I call BS that you donate to a cause which not long ago you criticized...

I didn't criticize the BookBike; I just expressed my appreciation for the CPD guy who attempted to assert some control of park activities by enforcing permit regulations. Because compared with parks in other big cities, I think activities in Chicago's parks are still pretty safe, well-behaved, and enjoyable for all. I think the BookBike would fit right in...and wouldn't have any problem getting a permit.

And despite your BS call, I DID write to Gabriel, offering him his choice of the thousands of books i have. His response, in part, was:

....I'm much obliged for the book donations offer, but I'll have to decline. Not
because I don't want books, but because the focus has changed to supporting
Chicago independent booksellers through this project. So official word for
The Book Bike is only financial donations [and]....just fresh books for the people from here on out...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service