The Chainlink

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since when is it illegal to proselytize in the park? Without citing a specific ordnance, your comment is speculative and assumptive.

It sounds to me like Gabriel closed up shop merely in order to avoid conflict. His call, of course, but some unidentified dude in a park district polo should be taken with a grain of salt as well.

Clark said:
Well.... I can see a possible explanation for the permit requirement for distributing literature in Chicago parks. I'm sure we all have been targets for some kind of unwanted proselytizing from religious, environmental or social groups. I'm happy to learn that there is someone trying to enforce the requirement.

I'm sure that Gabriel would have no difficulty obtaining a permit to do his good works if he were to go through proper channels. Having access to a free book while lounging in the park seems to me to be a brilliant idea. I might even come home and send him a donation.
Sweet! Maybe he'll sell me his trike cheap. I've got some Evangelical hate propaganda to distribute (hey, they pay well!), and they already greased all the permit palms =)
The right to pass out reading matter on public property strikes me as literally the sort of thing the Revolutionary War was fought over. I don't know whether or not there's a nominal permit issue here, but even if there is I'd imagine it would take the ACLU or a similar group about two seconds to decide this is worth going to the mat over. It's a nice day and I have a bag of books I've been meaning to drop off in front of Powell's, I may just go distribute them in Washington Park...
You have pretty much expressed my feelings on this.

I feel that it is also worth nothing that if you have ever seen the book bike at work, or bothered to read all of Gabriel's blog, he does not solicit people in the park for their attention or to take books. He tends to sit back and let people come to him. This is not a man out spreading his beliefs, political view or supporting any other agenda beyond putting books, of all varieties and purchased from local booksellers in the hands of people who might not otherwise take the time to discover them.

It is amazing to me that somebody would want to clamp down on somebody who is passively giving away a wide selection of books to those who choose to take them. He is not selling anything or promoting anything other then reading which is something I think most people do not do anywhere enough of.

I think I'm going to go pass books out in Humboldt park on my day off tomorrow...

Dr. Doom said:
The right to pass out reading matter on public property strikes me as literally the sort of thing the Revolutionary War was fought over. I don't know whether or not there's a nominal permit issue here, but even if there is I'd imagine it would take the ACLU or a similar group about two seconds to decide this is worth going to the mat over. It's a nice day and I have a bag of books I've been meaning to drop off in front of Powell's, I may just go distribute them in Washington Park...
This has to be a misunderstanding. Doug, can you put me in touch with the Book Bike guy?

notoriousDUG said:

I feel that it is also worth nothing that if you have ever seen the book bike at work, or bothered to read all of Gabriel's blog, he does not solicit people in the park for their attention or to take books. He tends to sit back and let people come to him. This is not a man out spreading his beliefs, political view or supporting any other agenda beyond putting books, of all varieties and purchased from local booksellers in the hands of people who might not otherwise take the time to discover them.

It is amazing to me that somebody would want to clamp down on somebody who is passively giving away a wide selection of books to those who choose to take them. He is not selling anything or promoting anything other then reading which is something I think most people do not do anywhere enough of.

I think I'm going to go pass books out in Humboldt park on my day off tomorrow...

Dr. Doom said:
I do not know him personally. I just follow his blog and really believe in his mission. I have met him when he was out with the book bike and he is a super nice guy.

He has a contact page on his blog.

Kevin Conway said:
This has to be a misunderstanding. Doug, can you put me in touch with the Book Bike guy?

notoriousDUG said:

Dr. Doom said:
I shot him an email with my phone #s.

notoriousDUG said:
I do not know him personally. I just follow his blog and really believe in his mission. I have met him when he was out with the book bike and he is a super nice guy.

Thanks for taking up this call Kevin!

Kevin Conway said:

notoriousDUG said:

Your first line is speculative, which does nobody any good.

Your third line is assumptive: "I'm happy to learn that there is someone trying to enforce the requirement."

Again: please cite said requirement.

P.S. You used four periods in your first ellipsis.

Clark said:
Of course I'm speculating and assuming...I began by admitting that it was a "possible explanation." And I think you mean ordinance; ordnance is explosives used by the military. But then again, with reference to Chicago history, maybe you DO mean ordnance...

Most Chainlinkers have an athletic bent...and probably appreciate our parks more than the average Chicagoan. So I hope they agree with me, and can understand the need to control the activities that go on in the parks...even for charities and do-good organizations.

For instance if The Salvation Army wanted to pick up and distribute free clothes and food in the parks, they'd need a permit. Which they have for their nightly food distribution in Water Tower Park at Michigan and Chicago Avenues...much to the displeasure of the residents of the Park Plaza and other bordering condo developments. Believe me, a few well-connected people have tried to get THAT permit pulled. So I can't imagine that Gabriel would have any problem, even in Water Tower Park...if he just had a permit.
It's not worth arguing T.C, it is a proven fact that Clark hates fun so there is very little chance of him seeing the light here.

T.C. O'Rourke said:
Your first line is speculative, which does nobody any good.

Your third line is assumptive: "I'm happy to learn that there is someone trying to enforce the requirement."

Again: please cite said requirement.

P.S. You used four periods in your first ellipsis.

Clark said:
Of course I'm speculating and assuming...I began by admitting that it was a "possible explanation." And I think you mean ordinance; ordnance is explosives used by the military. But then again, with reference to Chicago history, maybe you DO mean ordnance...

Most Chainlinkers have an athletic bent...and probably appreciate our parks more than the average Chicagoan. So I hope they agree with me, and can understand the need to control the activities that go on in the parks...even for charities and do-good organizations.

For instance if The Salvation Army wanted to pick up and distribute free clothes and food in the parks, they'd need a permit. Which they have for their nightly food distribution in Water Tower Park at Michigan and Chicago Avenues...much to the displeasure of the residents of the Park Plaza and other bordering condo developments. Believe me, a few well-connected people have tried to get THAT permit pulled. So I can't imagine that Gabriel would have any problem, even in Water Tower Park...if he just had a permit.
You have no idea what I call fun. You have yet, in other threads, to answer a direct question I asked so please place your criticism firmly where the light of day will never shine upon it.

I call BS that you donate to a cause which not long ago you criticized.

Clark said:
Hmmm...perhaps what YOU call fun DUG I might have a hard time with. And T.C....keep tryin.'

But promoting literacy in Chicago is one of my pet projects. And I've already written to Gabriel offering a donation for his good work. I'd like to get to know his project better.
Kevin:

Let me know if I (or my firm) can help.

Joe

Kevin Conway said:

notoriousDUG said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service